Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,031 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am moving to the DC area in July and I am looking for some input about the area. I would like to be near DC, but not in the city. I would like to be near a metro or bus line for easy access to the city. I am looking for an area that has more single people than married. I am 32 years old, single, and I want to be able to meet and date easily. I am a teacher, so I don't make tons of money, but I can afford a rent of about 1200/month. I will be teaching in Prince William County in VA. I don't mind a 30-40 minute commute.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you

Last edited by MovingtoDC1; 04-14-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC1 View Post
I will be teaching in Prince William County in VA or Montgomery County in MD.
You should live close to where you work. Determine which of the two it is, and then look for a place to live.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
I'd figure out which place you'll be working before deciding on an area. In many parts of the country, the distance between Prince William County and Montgomery Count can be easily traversed, but in this area, traffic makes the distance between those 2 counties (as well as just within those two counties) much more significant. I think the recommendations for where to live will vary greatly both depending on which of those 2 counties you're working in and where exactly in those counties you are working.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
With your budget you'll likely need PW County. You're within 45 minutes to DC but only during off hours. You can forget about living near DC on $1200 a month unless maybe you rent a bedroom in a basement or you get roommates.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM

359 posts, read 476,760 times
PWC huh?

I recommend living close to where you work and then just driving/metro/bus into a more "hip" area to meet people and hang out. It is much cheaper in PWC than anywhere closer to DC.

The VRE is good for getting into DC, but it is on a commuter schedule (into DC in the mornings, away from DC in the afternoon/evening ONLY) and will not be a good way for you to get closer into DC for socializing.

If you plan on driving into DC at rush hour, that 30-40 minutes will be more like 1 or 2 hours. Do not underestimate how crappy I-95 is.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
If possible I would stay as close as possible to your job, you'll be thankful for it later. Or you could possibly go south of PWC, where it's a little bit cheaper (Stafford, Fredericksburg), and have a reverse commute but even then you may not be able to fully avoid traffic.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
If possible I would stay as close as possible to your job, you'll be thankful for it later. Or you could possibly go south of PWC, where it's a little bit cheaper (Stafford, Fredericksburg), and have a reverse commute but even then you may not be able to fully avoid traffic.
Okay, maybe I'm missing something but if the OP has a job in PWC and moves south of PWC (Stafford, Fredericksburg), how will that equate to a reverse commute? By my calculations, it actually puts the OP in the thick of things.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Okay, maybe I'm missing something but if the OP has a job in PWC and moves south of PWC (Stafford, Fredericksburg), how will that equate to a reverse commute? By my calculations, it actually puts the OP in the thick of things.
Lol oh wait you're right.

I'm just out of it today. When I was typing, in my head, I was thinking of the OP living in PWC but working in Stafford or Fredericksburg

Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 AM

359 posts, read 476,760 times
Yeah, do not go to Stafford or Fbg... You will then have to commute on what I consider to be the WORST stretch of 95. Both bottlenecks: 152 HOV merge and 143 town house exchange.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Where in PWC will you be teaching? If it's eastern PWC (say Dale City/points on east) you could probably get a roommate and live in Old Town Alexandria -- which skews a little older than Clarendon/DC anyway in terms of the "crowd." The commute would be a bit long but it's doable.

You could just leave at 6am, get there at 7am most days and give yourself an hour to decompress, read email, grade, etc., or get stuck in traffic.

If it's western PWC, you might consider Manassas which is not totally "dead." Maybe Fairfax City, which would probably require a roommate. The crowd there is probably a mix of older singles and families that can't afford North Arlington or Old Town Alexandria but don't to resign themselves to a cul-de-sac or HOA.

Good luck, and after a year of renting you may find you don't live it up as often as you think (or can't afford it), and then you can move closer to your job. Or you can look for teaching jobs in Arlington/Alexandria/DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia