U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 AM

76 posts, read 312,571 times

Advertisements

I second Goldenmom's recommendation of Reston. I lived in the North Point area for a couple years and while it has a population of all ages, I definately got the feel that there were a lot of people living there who were retired. There are lots of activities and it is a safe, convenient, and happening area. A quick drive to Burke on the Fairfax Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:52 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,304 times
The City of Falls Church has a nice small-town feeling, with smaller houses that are well-suited to a single person. There are also MANY people of retirement age there. The Falls Church community center hosts a weekly farmers' market that is now open year-round, plus classes for all ages. The library is across the street, and the City has been developing a number of high-rise condos/office with retail on the ground floor. Many of the City's neighborhoods are within walking distance of the shops and restaurants. It's less than 30 minutes to Burke, and even closer to Tyson's. There are two metro stations nearby for easy access to DC.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:44 AM

65 posts, read 264,427 times
I've lived in most of Northern VA and am now in DC. My top picks for you would be:

1. Fairfax, Fair Lakes Area.
Everything is very walkable. I lived in the new East Market subdivision for a year, and loved it. There's a Whole Foods and lots of nice shops within the community. Not to mention, you have virtually every big store right there (Best Buy, Target, Walmart).
Welcome to East Market

2. Reston Town Center
A bit more condensed than Fairfax, this is a more upscale area. Still the same concept, everything within walking distance. Shopping and dining also upscale as well.

3. Old Town Alexandria
The most vibrant community (so fun!), but definitely comes at a price. It has that great old seaport town feel. Also super close to DC and to your grandkids.

I'd be happy to send some listings over to you, shoot me an e-mail. Lindsay@lindsaydreyer.com

Hope this helps a bit!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 PM

10 posts, read 19,094 times
I'm very traditional and like the feel of an older community, brownstones, etc. On the other hand, I'm wondering if I should look for something where I won't be isolated but rather have the opportunity for interaction with neighbors. I have an old house in the city now and one of the drawbacks is that I can never find anyone to fix the things that just naturally break in an older house. I'd also like a garage. For ten years I've had to struggle to find a parking spot on the street in the city. I'm ready for the luxury of a garage again!

It looks like I may be spending a few days in Northern VA between Christmas and New Years, so I may venture out to a few neighborhoods to take a look around.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,440,159 times
As I think about all of the options we've mentioned, I can't imagine that isolation would be too much of a risk. Just avoid things like apartment complexes near metros (might be filled with people who work all the time, etc.) and estate homes on x acres ... I've done both so I speak from experience! It seems that in places like Falls Church and Reston and Alexandria, you can be as sociable as you want to be ... or as private as you want to be.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 AM

10 posts, read 19,094 times
I'm going to start organizing all of the information I'm collecting so I can compare one neighborhood to the next. I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

The daughter of a friend of mine has suggested I consider living right in the city. One of her suggestions was the Dupont Circle area. She also suggested Bethesda as a second option.

Any thoughts on these two areas, or for that matter, living in DC as opposed to Alexandria, Falls Church, etc.

I think you're right goldenmom, about the isolation, and I'll definitely keep your recommendations in mind. For sure I don't want to have something on x acres of land. I'm trying to get away from the grind of cutting the grass, shoveling snow, etc. I'm ready to leave that in someone else's capable hands so I have more time for traveling etc.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:08 AM

65 posts, read 264,427 times
I live in Dupont and I love the city. The issue would be parking, however not impossible. You would be looking at a condo, prices range from $400-$1mil+.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,774,950 times
If city living is appealing, I always thought the place I'd choose would be right next to the zoo. I like the idea of taking a morning walk there everyday, especially since there are a hilly areas that can keep you in shape, and it won't strain your budget since it's free.

If you choose Reston, three great ways to get involved in the community are: The Reston Museum--always needs volunteers, and a great way to find out about tons of community activities. Reston Newcomers Club. A little pricey, but these people will get you plugged in to the community right away. The Reston Players, a very active theatre group.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,440,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If city living is appealing, I always thought the place I'd choose would be right next to the zoo. I like the idea of taking a morning walk there everyday, especially since there are a hilly areas that can keep you in shape, and it won't strain your budget since it's free.

If you choose Reston, three great ways to get involved in the community are: The Reston Museum--always needs volunteers, and a great way to find out about tons of community activities. Reston Newcomers Club. A little pricey, but these people will get you plugged in to the community right away. The Reston Players, a very active theatre group.
Oh my goodness! I was going to say exactly that about the zoo. I don't actually know the exact name of the neighborhood, but I had a friend who lived in a little townhouse down one of those streets and it was really nice (and they were a young couple, they couldn't have been paying too much, but this was 10 years ago).

Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,311,871 times
The Zoo is on the east side of Woodley Park, which is a terrific neighborhood. Lots of trees, well kept older homes and rowhouses, Rock Creek Park, still close to everything. It can be expensive to get in, but for those who favor the lifestyle, it's worth every penny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia