Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,745 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are moving from Los Angeles to the Herndon area this summer. I will be commuting to DC, close to the foggy bottom metro stop. What are my commute options? In particular, how long would it take to drive to the new reston metro stop from oak hill (or maybe even chantilly)? Would that even be the best option? I'm from LA so I'm used to horrendous traffic, but just want to get a better understanding of the commute time, especially the time to get to the reston metro station (assuming that's the best option). Thanks in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,223,139 times
Once the Silver line opens your best option will be to drive to the new Metro stop (~15 minutes depending on hwere in Oak Hill/Herndon you live) and take the Silver line to Foggy Bottom (~40 minutes). If you get here before the Silver line is operational - drive to the Reston South Park and Ride and catch a Fairfax Connector Bus to West Falls Church - that should take around 75 minutes total.

Reston South Park and Ride*- Fairfax County, Virginia

You can get the current bus schedules from a link on the page at the above link.

Here is the link to the Fairfax Connector schedule after the Silver Line opens.
Silver Line, Phase 1 Bus Service Plan*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,345,272 times
Why are you moving so far from DC?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 AM

239 posts, read 935,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonp18 View Post
Wife and I are moving from Los Angeles to the Herndon area this summer. I will be commuting to DC, close to the foggy bottom metro stop. What are my commute options? In particular, how long would it take to drive to the new reston metro stop from oak hill (or maybe even chantilly)? Would that even be the best option? I'm from LA so I'm used to horrendous traffic, but just want to get a better understanding of the commute time, especially the time to get to the reston metro station (assuming that's the best option). Thanks in advance for the advice!
I think PK12 question is

Why are you planning to live so far from DC?

To commute form oak hill/herndon area, drive up to herndon monroes Park and Ride and take either 950 or 980 to West falls church Metro (20 min). Take Orange line from West FallsChurch to Foggy bottom (17 min). Total commute 37 min + ride from home to Herndon monroe park & ride + 5 min waiting time (average) at West falls church

Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,345,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblue View Post
I think PK12 question is

Why are you planning to live so far from DC?

To commute form oak hill/herndon area, drive up to herndon monroes Park and Ride and take either 950 or 980 to West falls church Metro (20 min). Take Orange line from West FallsChurch to Foggy bottom (17 min). Total commute 37 min + ride from home to Herndon monroe park & ride + 5 min waiting time (average) at West falls church

Thanks, yeah that's exactly what I meant to ask.

I assume OP has done some research ahead of time and budget, buying vs, renting, schools or maybe proximity to friends/family might be a consideration.

Herndon to DC is definitely doable, but still kind of a wild commute.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM

504 posts, read 1,206,471 times
The least painful way is probably finding/joining a van pool but you would have to stick to a fixed and early work schedule. I live in Oak Hill and that's what I did many years ago. Even with Metro, don't cound on finding parking unless you get there early - would be curious to see how fast the Wiehle Metro parking will fill up once it's operational...

If you can afford it (budget and parking availability at work), driving might still beat Metro (again, only if you work early schedule), depending on how you value your time vs. money...

Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Thanks, yeah that's exactly what I meant to ask.

I assume OP has done some research ahead of time and budget, buying vs, renting, schools or maybe proximity to friends/family might be a consideration.

Herndon to DC is definitely doable, but still kind of a wild commute.
if herndon to DC is wild commute, how about Ashburn to DC ..I commute from Ashburn to DC every day.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,745 times
Quote:
if herndon to DC is wild commute, how about Ashburn to DC ..I commute from Ashburn to DC every day.
What is your route? Thanks

Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonp18 View Post
What is your route? Thanks
I take 4 different routes depending on time I start at my home.
1 - Take Loudoun County bus at Ashburn (CFC or Ashburn North) to Farragut West (1hour 10 minutes door to door)
2 - If little late,drive to Dulles North and take Loudoun County bus to Farragut West . Usually parking spots will be full by 8:15 since last year (dont know the reason) ( 1 hour 25 minutes door to door but more frequency in the evening)
3 - If no parking spot available at Dulles North or If I started late at home I directly go to Herndon Monroe par & ride, park car there and take connector bus to West falls church Metro and take metro to Farragut West
(1 hour 10 minutes door to door but more gas and mileage on car)
4 - Sometimes parking will be full at H&M park & ride then I drive to West Falls Church and take metro to farragut West (will be late to work & costs more & parking $5 at WFC ).. This happened 4 times till now in 3 years

Most of the time I take Route 1. Very convenient for me. Ashburn North park & ride is just 2 miles from my home. I watch movies or sleep or browse or work when I am in bus.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 8,521 times
Quote:
I take 4 different routes depending on time I start at my home.
1 - Take Loudoun County bus at Ashburn (CFC or Ashburn North) to Farragut West (1hour 10 minutes door to door)
2 - If little late,drive to Dulles North and take Loudoun County bus to Farragut West . Usually parking spots will be full by 8:15 since last year (dont know the reason) ( 1 hour 25 minutes door to door but more frequency in the evening)
3 - If no parking spot available at Dulles North or If I started late at home I directly go to Herndon Monroe par & ride, park car there and take connector bus to West falls church Metro and take metro to Farragut West
(1 hour 10 minutes door to door but more gas and mileage on car)
4 - Sometimes parking will be full at H&M park & ride then I drive to West Falls Church and take metro to farragut West (will be late to work & costs more & parking $5 at WFC ).. This happened 4 times till now in 3 years

Most of the time I take Route 1. Very convenient for me. Ashburn North park & ride is just 2 miles from my home. I watch movies or sleep or browse or work when I am in bus.
How is the commute in the winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia