U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 23,732 times

Advertisements

Near getting a job offer. Reading all relocation posts to NoVA and researching elem. schools. Company's main office is in DC, has office in Chantilly (Rte50 and 609 Pleassant Valley Rd) where my position could be. Will find how many times I will need to go to main DC office, guessing for mtgs once in 2 weeks.

Good elemantary school is main consideration and thinking will check place based on school zip. 2nd consideration is not go crazy in commute (read too many posts talking about rte 50, east of 28 better than west, I-66 parking lot, etc.

Where to live for easy commute to Chantilly office ? Inner roads ?

House budget 400-500. If west Loudoun county, could go for SFH rightaway.
Loudon C: Got interested in South Riding and Purcellville (doe to lower costs). How much commute will Purceville be to 609 and 50 ? Ashburn and Leesburg commute times ?

If Fairfax, might have to settle for townhouse. Will try temp housing for a month to figure.
Faifax C: Got interested in fairfax city, oakton. Would Vienna be a stretch ? (so to be halfway betw Chantilly and DC. Take bus to Chan and metro to DC ?) Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Missed Aldie

Aldie also seems to have good schools and appears closeby to Chantilly. Hows it to live ? Compared to Purcellville, South Riding. And commute ?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:55 PM

Default More thoughts please..

Hi folks, any more thoughts ? Will like to understand the realistic commute times to Chantilly (609 Pleasant Valley & 50) from Aldie, South Riding, Ashburn, Leesburg and Purceville, and what works and what doesn't from Loudoun county vs fairfax county (oakton, Fairfax, Vienna too far ?) Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 16,708 times
u sound just like us 3 months ago
We moved from England, this September, and I was DETERMINED to live in Vienna. I had heard how SUPER Fantantic the schoools were and the shops etc. etc.
Until I got here.
Vienna doesn't have many 'nice' rentals. overpriced yucky 195o's blocks of a so called house. People are just waiting for the oldtimers to kick the bucket to basically by the land and put up a McMansion.
By accident the MD was introducing a friend to Hubby when C mentioned a new a rental several doors overs and we signed the paper work at 10pm. Somewhat disheartened 3 months later of trawling for something decent we have realized that we are gonna make So.Riding home. the house we are working on purchasing here for 700 is easily 1.2 in Vienna (Wolftrap and Colvin Run school areas) and honestly it is sooooo freakin true about traffic!!
12 miles will take 40 minutes to traverse!!!
Loudoun County schools are getting quite competitive w/Fairfax. I suppose because they are newer resources are bieng installed from the onset and not as and when.
ALot of bussiness and retailers were given the go ahead right off Arcola Rd heres an article Leesburg Today - The Journal of Loudoun County - Arcola Center Approved For Rt. 50 (http://www.leesburg2day.com/articles/2007/12/05/news/fp698arcola120507.txt - broken link) so there is more yet to be.

Hubby works in Chantilly (centreville rd) and from door to door it's exactly 5.2 miles and if he leaves the house at 8:45am it will take take 15-20minutes.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 16,708 times
We looked at Aldie, on account that My Girls classes back home were 10 to a class, but decided against for a couple of reasons.
They have an enrollement of just 98 kids.
The new principal has only been there for 1.5 years and although she might have done a couple of changes she isn't a strong nor dynamic person, is it because she fairly young? Not sure. Also what will things be like when she goes on maternity leave in another month or 2?

NOT alot happening after school. Very 'horsey' oriented community. That's ok if that's ur style but not us. No after school clubs nor sports programmes. You would have to shlepp to either Asburn or Leesburg for anything.

Also what did NOT overly impress us was the state of the childrens clothing. I seriously believe it was the same clothing that they rolled around in all summer long and they just wore on the 2nd day of school. So doggone worn looking. Maybe we are just snobbish but I was ALWAys taught that no matter how poor u r make an effort to look neat and tidy.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:47 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,068,332 times
I live in South Riding. It is 2 miles to where you want to go. It will take 10 minutes tops.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 AM

28 posts, read 95,694 times
Southriding and Aldie are definately neighborhoods to look at. Route 50 traffic, maybe a pain but everyone's patience level is different. Inventory for single dettached homes in your price range is excellent. Also, there are other neighborhoods closer to your worksite with huge potential.
A couple of links to research schools and of course homes.

http://www.greatschools.net/
http://www.homesdatabase.com/arturocruz

Good luck

seysoldTD

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 830 times
your passion could be your inner drive. if you really love your work despite of the long hour travel and distance, you can still make it. even though you do have an office relocation your passion will fuel you to work.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-06-2008 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia