U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,130,735 times

Advertisements

If your husband is working in Alexandria, go NOT even consider Prince William County or (heaven forbid) Fauquier County. You NEED to stay within the Alexandria area and the areas of Fairfax and Arlington County immediately surrounding it. Traffic in this area is worse than in Chicago and a morning commute from Gainesville or Bristow would run about 1.5 hours each way, just so you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM

566 posts, read 2,753,927 times
That is true, but having lived in Annandale, I found that my commute didn't take much longer when I moved to PW County.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:11 AM

321 posts, read 1,420,245 times
I agree with Tarp. Do not venture far away. Stay in the Alexandria area. One place that is really nice is the Mt. Vernon area. Can't really tell you much about prices, but it's just outside of Old Town Alexandria, which is very pricey but VERY nice, full of historic townhouses and shopping and walkable neighborhoods. To get to Mt. Vernon, you just head out of Old Town, going away from DC, along the George Washington Parkway. Mt. Vernon itself is about 8 miles down, but along the way, running parallel to the Potomac River, are lots of nice older neighborhoods. Check it out.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:57 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,130,735 times
Also check out the "Kingstowne" development off Van Dorn Street and Franconia Road. It has an Alexandria address but is in Fairfax County.

The City of Alexandria has some beautiful sections as well, but is pricier.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Rai

4 posts, read 10,964 times
Default Welcome to Va Windycity

Hello! Windycity,
Know it is hard moving from one place to another. My hubby and I live in oldtown Fredericksburg, Va there are some great attributes the school system and the houses are affordable. As you get closer to DC the houses are more expensive. The train/metro takes about 50 min. We have three children who graduated from here.
Here is a web page of Fredericksburg, if you would like to take a look.

Fredericksburg.com - Fredericksburg, Virginia's homepage
Official Web site of the City of Fredericksburg, Virginia
VisitFred.com -- Welcome to the Official Tourism Website for the Fredericksburg Area, Virginia. (http://www.fredericksburgva.com/ - broken link)
Fredericksburg, Virginia (VA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real ...
Current weather forecast for Fredericksburg, VA Population (year 2000): 19279.
... Fredericksburg, VA residents, houses, and apartments details ...
http://www.city-data.com/city/Freder...-Virginia.html
www.sellingstafford.com (broken link)

George Washington's Ferry Farm

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 05:49 AM..

Old 10-27-2006, 04:20 PM

9 posts, read 26,809 times
Thanks very much for all your advice and the information.

The commuting time, are you talking about driving or taking trains? I probably wasn't clear in my original message. The 1 hour limit, I was referring to train ride.
Does any of the areas you mentioned have easily accessible train station that we can ride to downtown and/or alexandria within 1 hour?

In Chicago, we live in the suburb and ride the Metra train to downtown. So for us the commute is not that bad as long as the train is on schedule ( most of time it is). But driving is whole another story. That's why we prefer finding area that has convenient train station nearby.

What do you think these areas, Annandale, Ashburn, Burke, Clifton, Dale City, Fairfax Station, Falls Church, Great Falls, Herndon, Lorton, Mclean, Reston, Tysons Corner, Vienna, Woodbridge

BTW, Does viriginia in general have lower taxes than Maryland?

Thanks! Have a good weekend.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:09 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,347,789 times
A train ride on the VRE from Fredericksburg to Alexandria will last 1 hour, 6 minutes, and tack on an additional 15 minutes to get into DC. It's a nice town but a bit too far out in my opinion.

If you use the search function on this board and type in the names of the cities you listed, you'll find some good summaries of most, if not all, of them. From a commuting standpoint though, all of these suburbs are outer suburbs (i.e. the Outer Beltway) with the exceptions of Annandale, Falls Church, McLean and Tysons Corner (it's sorta half and half). Of those listed, Falls Church is the most commuter-friendly to both DC and Alexandria. The city has two Metro stations which will whisk you into DC in some 20 minutes, and while you can take Metro to Alexandria as well, it isn't direct and would require a transfer, and a drive might actually be quicker (and certainly doable in under an hour). I'd definitely nix Ashburn. I live there. Commuting is a nightmare and there is no real train service (Vienna and Dunn Loring Metro are both 35 minutes away in NON rush hour so by that point, you might as well just keep on driving). Herndon's a bit closer, but I still wouldn't recommend it, and it too doesn't have train service. Clifton is another one I'd steer clear of. Too much of a hassle to commute. Reston has no train service (nearest Metro station is around 20 minutes away) but is closer in than Herndon and Ashburn, and has access to the Toll Road which helps a bit, but still, commutes into DC/Alexandria can be brutal.

Metro and VRE are terrific.....if you live close to a station (say, within five miles or so). Otherwise, they wind up being useless for many commuters. As ridiculous as it sounds, it could take eons to get to a Metro station is it's let's say seven miles away, then find parking and wait for a train so you have to factor that in when looking at commute times. Woodbridge, Lorton and Burke all have VRE stations, and for you, since you'd be commuting to Alexandria and possibly DC, VRE is actually more convenient since it's centered on the southeastern and south central suburbs as opposed to Metro which heads west.

I actually think all things taken into consideration, Burke would be your best choice. It's pretty much exactly the same as West Springfield in terms of price and character which I outlined earlier, just the next city (or unincorporated area) over.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:10 AM

109 posts, read 562,546 times
Windy City, Check out Vienna VA. Near the metro, great schools in Fairfax County. West Springfield/Burke is great, too. Be prepared. Housing prices are high here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
If your husband is working in Alexandria, go NOT even consider Prince William County or .
Actually can't say I totally agree with that... Lake Ridge which is in Prince William is pretty nice, and not a bad drive to the Springfield/Franconia Metro. I have friends who do it EVERY DAY. It takes less than 1 hour to go from their home in Lake Ridge to the King Street metro, and then to the office in Old Towne Alexandria. the schools are good there, but FF County is super top in the USA.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 26,809 times
Thanks very much for the replies!

Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 AM

15 posts, read 44,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
If your husband is working in Alexandria, go NOT even consider Prince William County or (heaven forbid) Fauquier County. You NEED to stay within the Alexandria area and the areas of Fairfax and Arlington County immediately surrounding it. Traffic in this area is worse than in Chicago and a morning commute from Gainesville or Bristow would run about 1.5 hours each way, just so you know.
haha - I live in Prince William County and drive to McLean every morning for work. It takes me, on avergae, (with good traffic) roughly an hour and a half to get to work (taking back roads and avoiding 95). The afternoon (leaving at 5:30) is normally a little better but not always. I can normally get home at about 6:45, but this week for some reason it has been after 7 everyday. The traffic is absolutely terrible, and I've just been doing the commute since July, but I'm becoming numb to it. The job I have pays well, so I stay. What can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or