Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,954 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently looking to purchase our first home. We have done a lot of research and looking already and have found two areas that fit out budget and other parameters: Bristow (specifically Braemar) in Prince William County and Purcellville in Loudoun County. Of the two we like Purcellville better, but feel we would be happy in either area. The final factor we need to assess before choosing which area to settle in is commute. My husband works in Chantilly very close to Dulles Airport. Bristow is much closer to his office in terms of mileage, but we are unsure about the traffic difference from Bristow versus Purcellville. My husband has pretty standard work hours of 8-5 and does not have the ability to work from home, so he will be commuting 5 days a week. He will also not be ride sharing, so will be unable to use HOV lanes. Can anyone tell us approximately how long the commute would be from each area? If they are relatively similar (within 20 minutes of each other) because of traffic patterns we would prefer to move to Purcellville, but if Purcellville is 20 minutes or more over Bristow then Bristow is probably a better bet for us. Ohh and I forgot to add that he would not be taking the Greenway from Purcellville, because we don't have the budget for the tolls. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM

367 posts, read 881,665 times
purcellville just because I like purcellville better is there anyway you would consider Leesburg? It would be a better commute.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,245,709 times
We live in Braemar and my husband worked off 28 (Frying Pan) for a couple of years and drives a hybrid. My advice - don't do it. 28 wasn't bad in the am once you got past the first light, but PM on 28 was a nightmare. My husband did various side streets, different routes, etc and it was awful. Considering that he drove a hybrid and his average was 1 hr... you would be looking at 1+ as an average, then add in a rainy day, an accident.....

Old 04-25-2014, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 17,293 times
28 South at 5PM is the definition of a Parking lot.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM

53 posts, read 65,694 times
What is your housing budget? There are lots of nice areas much closer to his office. I think both commutes sound terrible.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,954 times
We know that both commutes will be long, but we have done a ton of research and know that those are the only areas in our price range that have everything we want and that we like. Our max budget is $450,000. We are looking for a single family home with 4 bedrooms, basement, and a decent sized yard. I am also a stay at home mom, so I am looking for a community with other stay at home moms for me to spend time with. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 PM

531 posts, read 1,422,635 times
If you live in Purcellville, you can take route 7, route 15, then Evergreen Mills rd to go to Chantilly. I've only done this route during non peak hours so I can't say how bad it is during rush hours. Maybe others can chime in.

I lived in both Gainesville (right on the borderline of Bristow) and Purcellville. I like purcellville a lot better. But again, Gainesville and Bristow have had lots of improvement since I moved out.

Leesburg has better commute than Purcellville. Did you check whether it has single family houses within your budget? I am under the impression Purcellville isn't cheaper than Leesburg. Purcellville has better schools than both Leesburg and Bristow if this matters.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Purcellville has better schools than both Leesburg and Bristow if this matters

Really? Based on what?

Old 04-26-2014, 08:51 PM

531 posts, read 1,422,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Purcellville has better schools than both Leesburg and Bristow if this matters

Really? Based on what?
Based on standard test scores. Of course, some people don't believe in test scores. If you are one of them, there's no need for us to debate.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:56 PM

OK, very curious how they compare. Can you share the data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia