Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,091 times

Advertisements

I moved to Virginia in September from Atlanta and my work place is in Alexandria, VA. My family still lives in Atlanta as my wife works over there. I am searching for a new home in a good locality and I am so confused where to buy looking at the future. I will have to make some arrangments in terms of housing before my wife and 10 month old (now) move to VA in the first week of march. My wife quit her current job to look after the baby but her current employer has a branch in Fredericksburg, VA. She might get the same position in March (hopefully). Here is my plan -

1. Take an apartment in Stafford, VA (Stafford county) and look for a home in and around N. Virginia with an exception to few places like (Manassas, woodbridge, may be centreville).
2. If my wife gets her old job, how good is stafford county and new homes over there in relation to Schools, Crime rate etc? Any recommendations are welcome.
3. If my wife doesn't get a job there, I would prefer some where in Ashburn as I see Fairfax, McClean, Fall Church are expensive. It will be a quite a bit ride if I stay in Ashburn for myself but my wife is flexible to look a job around Ashburn within a fair commutable distance.

I would like to know from the experienced people in this forum about their advise and how to move forward. To summarize -

1. How good is Stafford in terms of housing, crime, school zone (elementary, high)?
2. IS it a good idea to buy a home in Stafford or go for a better county like Loudon?
3. I want to spend $550k for new home and thats what my budget is right now hoping me and my wife work.

Please throw some ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited by myvahomesearch; 12-13-2007 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 AM

28 posts, read 104,268 times
Hello Anand,

Based on your posting maybe next home will be driven by your wife's employment.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/ This link gives you a way to research schools in any locality. On a personal note, I believe Loudoun has a top school system.
On your price range, I believe you have a lot of buying power in this buyer's market. You can pretty much get a nice/new dettached property in your price range. I think it is important to note that banks have a lot more restrictions on loan requirements.

Best of luck.

seysoldTD

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia