U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 PM

47 posts, read 265,631 times

Advertisements

We are evaluating preschools and private kindergartens for our children in the Centreville area and today visited ChildsPlay Sully Station (affiliated with Reston Day School) and Rainbow Children's Center. Does anyone have any experiences or opinions on these two schools (or even with Reston Day School, for that matter, since they are affiliated)? Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Reston Day School

What about Reston Day school? Has anyone heard of them? Any feedback? Any info would be very much appreciated if you've heard anything about this school. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,024,342 times
My first kid went to Reston Day school center in Oak Hill (Franklin Barns). It was crowded and teacher turnover ratio was high. We put the second kid on waiting list there and got bumped several times. Regardless how good they are, daycare is so limited here that you won't have many choices. Have you looked at Montissery (sp?) schools? Also look into centers that are sponsored by churches.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Thanks. It was my impression that the center that was run by Reston Day School had a good philosophy but was crowded (even though it is a similar ratio to other centers the rooms were smaller and there were more kids/teachers in each room). They also didn't always seem to have good control of the class. While we were there visiting, a child pulled the fire alarm when he was just goofing off and they had to evacuate the building! We have three children who will be in the program (to private K and one preschool) so the Montessori programs we've looked at are a little out of our price range. One of the appeals of this school is the price...first child full rate, second child 10 percent discount and third child FREE. I hadn't read anything negative anywhere about the school but my gut tells me that there might be something that is just not quite right. Did you keep your child(ren) at Reston Day school or send them elsewhere, lqda4?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM

504 posts, read 1,024,342 times
First kid stayed there until he got into Kindergarten. Second kid went to Embassy School (Oak Hill) and but never quite enjoyed it. He is now in Kindergarten and (luckily) got into SACC (after-school program at his elementary school).

Embassy School closed its door this past August before this school year since the owner got a sweeter deal from a developer. That lot will house some more McMansions and no doubt the parents will have even harder time finding good daycare centers within a reasonable driving distance. Go figure.

Before pre-K, our kids stayed at a wonderful (friendly, caring and clean) home-based daycare in Chantilly (she specializes in newborn to toddler). She has since moved to Southriding and reopen the center at her new house there. If you are in the vincinity and would like to check her out, let me know.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM

523 posts, read 1,289,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsh6719 View Post
What about Reston Day school? Has anyone heard of them? Any feedback? Any info would be very much appreciated if you've heard anything about this school. Thanks!
I've got 2 kids in Reston day and they love it and so do we. It is more expensive than other daycares but well worth it. We had our kids at another (I won't say the name) place and it was horrible.

Reston Day is not perfect but the program is tremendous and my kids absolutely love it.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 20,102 times
"Before pre-K, our kids stayed at a wonderful (friendly, caring and clean) home-based daycare in Chantilly (she specializes in newborn to toddler). She has since moved to Southriding and reopen the center at her new house there. If you are in the vincinity and would like to check her out, let me know."

I live in South Riding and would love to get info on this person. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,779 times
My children have been attending Reston Day School for over 10 years and I have loved every minute of it. I have recommended many, many families who also stayed and have loved it. It is a very small and accomadting school. It just gives you a great feeling when you first walk in the door!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,130 times
One of my children attended Reston Day School. I know it sounds like a great school at first, but I do not agree with the way they handle negative behavior. At this school, children are "invited" to select better behavior. When my child was shoved on the playground I would have rather had that child's parents involved and there to be some sort of consequence for bullying.

The grades are combined so I don't feel that my child was going to learn different material when they are in the same classroom the next year with younger students. The teachers are all very young and either still in high school or just starting college. It is more like a daycare than a school. I want my child to have an education and not to just play all day.

The school charges and ridiculous fee twice a year just for school supplies, (not tuition), but all they really supply is paper and pencils. The people there seemed very fake and quick to just shut you up instead of hearing a parent’s concerns. In my opinion, select another school.

Last edited by 1mommyof3; 01-23-2010 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,130 times
One of my children attended Reston Day School. I know it sounds like a great school at first, but I do not agree with the way they handle negative behavior. At this school, children are "invited" to select better behavior. When my child was shoved on the playground I would have rather had that child's parents involved and there to be some sort of consequence for bullying.

The grades are combined so I don't feel that my child was going to learn different material when they are in the same classroom the next year with younger students. The teachers are all very young and either still in high school or just starting college. It is more like a daycare than a school. I want my child to have an education and not to just play all day.

The school charges and ridiculous fee twice a year just for school supplies, (not tuition), but all they really supply is paper and pencils. The people there seemed very fake and quick to just shut you up instead of hearing a parent’s concerns. In my opinion, select another school. [/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia