U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,060 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going through the process of buying our first home. We have lived in Reston for 8 years and I have grown to love this town. My husband really wants to move to Ashburn. He says we can get more for our money out that way, which I know is true. I just don't know the area as well as Reston. Can someone tell me a little more about Ashburn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,828,093 times
Where do you and your husband work or commute to for any purpose on a regular basis?

Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 AM

968 posts, read 1,446,221 times
Compared to other parts of Loudoun County, Ashburn can be quite expensive. If Reston is closer to your jobs, I personally would heavily consider how much more you'll really get for your money versus how much more time you'll spend commuting and away from your family. I live in Sterling and am thankful I don't live in Ashburn every morning when I see the hoards of cars trying to merge onto 28 from Waxpool (I know that's not the ONLY road from Ashburn, but just an example).

Old 05-17-2014, 06:06 AM

20 posts, read 15,078 times
Add $3500/yr for the greenway unless you want to take waxpool/7.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,537,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochimento View Post
We have lived in Reston for 8 years and I have grown to love this town.
Then you should stay!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:46 AM

He actually works in Reston, which is why I was so surprised that he wanted to move to Ashburn.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,534,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochimento View Post
My husband and I are going through the process of buying our first home. We have lived in Reston for 8 years and I have grown to love this town. My husband really wants to move to Ashburn. He says we can get more for our money out that way, which I know is true. I just don't know the area as well as Reston. Can someone tell me a little more about Ashburn?
I never understand the "more for your money" phrase when it comes to real estate, which is about as open a free market as there is. There are always tradeoffs in property characteristics. If you can accept a less popular location, you can get a larger house for the same price, everything else being equal. But you're not getting more for your money with one over the other--you're getting "less house" and more convenient (whatever) location; with the other you are getting "more house" and "less location."

Old 05-17-2014, 01:00 PM

232 posts, read 294,307 times
To get "more for your money" absolutely you can probably get "more" in Ashburn or Sterling. But if it was me, before I considered an alternate area, I would look at what is available in my price point in my preferred area FIRST. Then if you find that the places you would need/want are not something that makes you happy, then consider alternate areas.

The primary questions that I ask myself when buying a home:
1) What is my price range that I am comfortable paying?
2)What is my commute preference? (then define a boundary of areas that work)
3) What are my must haves?
4) What are my "like to haves" but not critical?
5) If you decide to look outside of Reston, think about what you love the most and try to find similar/comparable things in your new preferred area(s)

Good luck

Old 05-17-2014, 07:22 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,889,243 times
Anyone that would trade less time with their family for more faux marble, stainless steel this or that, or expanded vistas of particle board and polyvinyl chloride siding is.......insane.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I didn't think compromising on a home would be this hard. We're looking at places in both areas, but I'm hoping we stay in Reston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or