Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have noticed, at least as far as we can tell, that few people have pools on their property, whether in- or above ground. We are used to many people having them in a less well-off area, and I think we assumed in a wealthy area such as this they would be at least as common. Is there a particular reason for this? Are they outrageously expensive around here? Zoning issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
Aren't there a ton of community pools around? Unlike previous places I've lived, it seems like this area has a lot of community pools where it's either apart of your HOA or it has a fee of some sort to join. I seem to remember some people on here posting about pools in certain communities having waiting lists.

Personally, I would never want my own pool. Just seems like it would be way too much money to maintain, but maybe it isn't as bad as I think it would be.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,735 times
Almost every neighborhood that has a homeowners association has pools. So if the neighborhood has free pools, there is really no reason for an individual homeowner to incur the cost of one of their own.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 PM

28 posts, read 48,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Almost every neighborhood that has a homeowners association has pools. So if the neighborhood has free pools, there is really no reason for an individual homeowner to incur the cost of one of their own.
Depends on the HOA. In Burke Centre, you get a discounted membership for the pools.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:06 PM

373 posts, read 821,230 times
Pools are a pain in the butt to maintain, and pool season isn't long enough around here to make it worth it. I grew up in an area where we could use our pool 8 months out of the year, and seeing how much time and money my dad had to put into it -- and the measures he had to go through to keep neighborhood kids out because of liability issues -- made me vow never to be responsible for a pool of my own.

I do wish I could have late night pool parties, though. My neighborhood pool, which is open Memorial Day to Labor Day, closes at 8. It doesn't get dark until 9 in the summer.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
I live in a yard filled with Oak trees. No way I would want to maintain a pool in this neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
My wife and I have noticed, at least as far as we can tell, that few people have pools on their property, whether in- or above ground. We are used to many people having them in a less well-off area, and I think we assumed in a wealthy area such as this they would be at least as common. Is there a particular reason for this? Are they outrageously expensive around here? Zoning issues?
Many people here just find them to be too much maintenance. We did. There is a community pool about 100 yards from our house, anyway. We had our personal pool removed because it was too much work and took up too much yard space. One contributing factor was the lack of pool companies. There are only a few, none of them seem to be any good, and they are all overpriced. It was difficult to get anyone to even clean it properly, much less do more extensive work on it without trying to up-sell and overcharge to where pool improvement costs began to rival the cost of a new home. Real estate agents in this area often say that a pool makes it harder to sell a home - it seems that in NoVa people just don't prefer the hassle of a pool.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 AM

48 posts, read 156,732 times
Just as a pool may turn people away, there are also folks who are specifically looking for one so it works both ways. Our previous house had a pool. We sold it in ONE day and it had multiple offers. Main reason was all of the parties involved wanted pools but couldnt find properties with one for sale

Our current home also has a pool. When we were shopping around for our current home we only wanted homes WITH pools, or at least enough land to put one in. If a property already had a pool, that was a + for me in terms of time/$.

Yes, the season isnt very long and there are time, costs, safety, & maintentance considerations, so that may weigh heavily on some folks in NoVA. I have a pool company open and close it for the season (~350 each) and there is cost of chemicals, etc. I throw the robot in and it cleans the entire pool in 3 hours. Safety is probably the #1 concern, so obviously child safety fence is a MUST as well as other precautions. You dont let your young kids in a tub by themselves, so same goes with a pool. Its common sense really.

Our kids & friends love it during the summer and its fantastic for pool parties, bbqs & entertaining every weekend. We have a certified swim instructor come to our pool for private lessons as well so the kids are comfortable in the water by age 3-4. In our neighborhood two other homes have pools (price point is 1.25-2M+). The enjoyment our family gets out of the pool outweigh all else

Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
I do wish I could have late night pool parties, though. My neighborhood pool, which is open Memorial Day to Labor Day, closes at 8. It doesn't get dark until 9 in the summer.
That is one thing that is great about the 15 pools in Reston. You can find a pool open between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for most of the summer.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM

540 posts, read 790,769 times
It depends on what area you are talking about. In the older neighborhoods the houses didn't originally have pools and the lots are generally quite wooded. In the newer subdivisions (and some of the older non-HOA areas), there are community pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia