Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM

6 posts, read 6,099 times

Advertisements

Hi, as the title says I'm looking for some opinions on if I can survive in NoVA, around Ballston neighborhood. I've lived in Bergen County, Nj all my life and I am relocating to VA for work. Specifically, Arlington. My salary is 64,000 a year. It looks like most apartments in the Ballston area are 1800+, if I pay for a 1800+ apartment it doesn't seem like I have much left per month.

So the simple but not so simple question is, can I survive on that salary in Arlington? Anyone in a similar situation that can give first-hand feedback? Looking to stay close for a commute to Ballston area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 06:21 AM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
A lot of depends on you. How much debt do you have? What's your lifestyle like? Do you like to go out a lot? Eat out? Do you have a car?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Of course you can merely survive. That's a pretty healthy salary even for this area. Like previous poster said, what exactly living in Ballston on 64k entails for you depends on a lot of personal preferences/factors.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 AM

@Vectorhead & FCNova

I have no debt. Have my own car(06 Beige Corolla granny-looking car). Don't drink or smoke. Not that interested in night life, I'm quite boring actually.

In NJ, I go out to eat maybe 3 times a week ($20x3), but it isn't fancy restaurants or anything just a diner or pizza place when I'm tired of eating my own cooking. What I'm concerned about is factoring in parking at work at the Ballston Mall ($105/mo) , gas, utilities, internet bill, crud.....

My current apartment costs $1350 in NJ so I've never approached the $1,800+ price range(before utilities) before it is insane and intense at the same time like living in Manhattan's rent or something. But I think it's the best choice for me for my first year at work, I should be close by, so I'm trying my best to see where I could stay near the Ballston Mall.

FCNova, that's a relief to hear it is a decent salary. I plopped the values in paycheckcity.com and it looked bleak, didn't seem like there was much wiggle room, after taxes since more than half my pay would go towards rent.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zores View Post
Hi, as the title says I'm looking for some opinions on if I can survive in NoVA, around Ballston neighborhood. I've lived in Bergen County, Nj all my life and I am relocating to VA for work. Specifically, Arlington. My salary is 64,000 a year. It looks like most apartments in the Ballston area are 1800+, if I pay for a 1800+ apartment it doesn't seem like I have much left per month.

So the simple but not so simple question is, can I survive on that salary in Arlington? Anyone in a similar situation that can give first-hand feedback? Looking to stay close for a commute to Ballston area. Thanks in advance.
You can definitely survive. You might consider someplace cheaper than Ballston, though, if you want to have more extra money. You can also probably find an efficiency apartment for a bit less. But as long as that's a starting salary and there is room for growth in future years, it's a pretty decent salary to start.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
@Vectorhead & FCNova

I have no debt. Have my own car(06 Beige Corolla granny-looking car). Don't drink or smoke. Not that interested in night life, I'm quite boring actually.

In NJ, I go out to eat maybe 3 times a week ($20x3), but it isn't fancy restaurants or anything just a diner or pizza place when I'm tired of eating my own cooking. What I'm concerned about is factoring in parking at work at the Ballston Mall ($105/mo) , gas, utilities, internet bill, crud.....

My current apartment costs $1350 in NJ so I've never approached the $1,800+ price range(before utilities) before it is insane and intense at the same time like living in Manhattan's rent or something. But I think it's the best choice for me for my first year at work, I should be close by, so I'm trying my best to see where I could stay near the Ballston Mall.

FCNova, that's a relief to hear it is a decent salary. I plopped the values in paycheckcity.com and it looked bleak, didn't seem like there was much wiggle room, after taxes since more than half my pay would go towards rent.
Maybe look for an efficiency at River Place in Rosslyn. It's close to Ballston. It's right at the metro, and the prices start at about 1300. I think they include utilities, too, or at least some do. They are condos, but many are rented out.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Maybe look for an efficiency at River Place in Rosslyn. It's close to Ballston. It's right at the metro, and the prices start at about 1300. I think they include utilities, too, or at least some do. They are condos, but many are rented out.
I did glance over their complex at rent.com or one of those sites. I'll give them a contact, thanks.

Just to make sure, this is the place youre' talking about, Mnseca?

http://www.rentriverplace.com/location.htm

Last edited by zores; 05-20-2014 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: clairification

Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Quote:
You definitely won't be rolling in disposable income, but you should have money left over to enjoy yourself, especially since you have no debt.

For reference, I lived near Ballston right after college for a little bit, about 10 years ago. I was only making like 30k when I moved there. Rent was $1,450 a month(had a roommate). I also had no debt and no car payment, which was probably the only reason I could afford it. It was tight but I had money to do stuff, go out with friends on the weekends and eat out sometimes. I really enjoyed the brief time I lived there. You'll be ok.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,516 times
You certainly can more than survive if you budget everything right.

Are you open to roommates/shared housing? If so, you can actually do pretty well on that salary even while living in Arlington or Ballston itself.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
You will be fine paying 1800 a month on that salary w/no debt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia