U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,189 times

Advertisements

I will be a senior this fall at CUA majoring in Accounting. Wanting to get a job in the area with the Federal Government or a contractor. I'd really like to work in Budgeting and Financial Analysis. When ready and qualified, I'd like to get my CPA.

How hard is it to get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 AM

77 posts, read 235,165 times
I know of plenty of Agencies looking for workers right now. BUMED, USDA, DOD, DOE and the DOJ in Falls Church came to my college to recruit students for Finance positions. Deloitte contracting is hiring tons of Accountants for work in the DC area.

Have you done an internship yet? if so, where at? If you havent, you need to start networking and get a part time work study.

The best bet is to go to as many Job/Recruitment Fairs as you can.

There are jobs out there, you just have to look.

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:58 AM

53 posts, read 80,399 times
The Fed Govt is doing a lot of hiring this FY, first time in a few years they have done so. Accounting majors are always wanted whether it be budgeting, accounting, auditing, etc. DCAA is synonymous for hiring college grads who are accounting majors, they hire all over the country as well. They are a foot in the door type agency which a lot of people use as a stepping stone to prepare them for other governmental auditing/accounting jobs that are higher paying since a lot of DCAA jobs tap out around a GS-12 level.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:18 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,324,352 times
FYI, the better government accounting and finance entry level jobs are hired through college recruitment programs by the agencies. They usually have very early deadlines (some as early as September). Check out the Presidential Management Fellows program as well.

I am almost positive that any entry level budgeting/finanical analysis job in the government is going to be mostly rudimentary spreadsheet compilation and honestly a dead end, low paying career track. You are better off in accounting (managerial or financial reporting), auditing, investigations, examinations or policy type work, or in the private sector. They just don't train and develop their budgeting professionals or financial analysis folks straight from college. The people that do the real budgeting or financial analysis work are much more experienced and/or have big time credentials. I'd stick with the Dept. of Treasury (i.e. main treasury), OPM or banking regulators for this type of work or go private.

Just make sure whatever you do is that you expand your skills and not get too typecast into narrow, arcane specialties that don't have relevance to other employers. It's very easy to do in the government.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:54 PM

51 posts, read 68,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
FYI, the better government accounting and finance entry level jobs are hired through college recruitment programs by the agencies. They usually have very early deadlines (some as early as September). Check out the Presidential Management Fellows program as well.

I am almost positive that any entry level budgeting/finanical analysis job in the government is going to be mostly rudimentary spreadsheet compilation and honestly a dead end, low paying career track. You are better off in accounting (managerial or financial reporting), auditing, investigations, examinations or policy type work, or in the private sector. They just don't train and develop their budgeting professionals or financial analysis folks straight from college. The people that do the real budgeting or financial analysis work are much more experienced and/or have big time credentials. I'd stick with the Dept. of Treasury (i.e. main treasury), OPM or banking regulators for this type of work or go private.

Just make sure whatever you do is that you expand your skills and not get too typecast into narrow, arcane specialties that don't have relevance to other employers. It's very easy to do in the government.
I'm going to have to disagree with the govt. route being low paying. Most of the agencies/departments I've seen have full-performance grades of 12 or 13 ($74k or $89k). You won't make that much at a Big 4 in 3 or 4 years.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
The government isn't low paying, it's average paying. But it offers great stability and benefits you don't always get in the private sector.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins101 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with the govt. route being low paying. Most of the agencies/departments I've seen have full-performance grades of 12 or 13 ($74k or $89k). You won't make that much at a Big 4 in 3 or 4 years.
There isn't a fast track to the GS-12 or -13 accy/fin jobs in the government straight from undergrad. You mostly start at GS-7 and terminate at GS-9 or GS-11. You would then have to do 1 or 2 open competitions to get to GS-12 or -13. Some never develop the skills to will those competitions, others take 10 years or more. High performers could do it in 4-5 years, but because of the lack of development and generally poor recruiting pool straight from college (vs. corporate or firm jobs) it isn't likely.

However, it is not uncommon for a person with 3-5 years experience in the private sector to come in as a GS-12 or GS-13 in an open competition.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM

51 posts, read 68,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
There isn't a fast track to the GS-12 or -13 accy/fin jobs in the government straight from undergrad. You mostly start at GS-7 and terminate at GS-9 or GS-11. You would then have to do 1 or 2 open competitions to get to GS-12 or -13. Some never develop the skills to will those competitions, others take 10 years or more. High performers could do it in 4-5 years, but because of the lack of development and generally poor recruiting pool straight from college (vs. corporate or firm jobs) it isn't likely.

However, it is not uncommon for a person with 3-5 years experience in the private sector to come in as a GS-12 or GS-13 in an open competition.
Do you work in govt. accounting? Because the agency I work at along with numerous of my friends have full-performances at the 12/13 level. Also, "corporate" accounting is far different from federal govt. accounting. You're processing actions for thousands of people versus in a corporate setting where you're used in a multi-faceted degree.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins101 View Post
Do you work in govt. accounting? Because the agency I work at along with numerous of my friends have full-performances at the 12/13 level. Also, "corporate" accounting is far different from federal govt. accounting. You're processing actions for thousands of people versus in a corporate setting where you're used in a multi-faceted degree.
I am an alum of the IRS, a member of the Assoc. of Government Accountants, and was very active with the AICPA's government accounting committee. I worked with hundreds of accountants in my agency and met a ton more through the AGA and AICPA at various meetings and conventions.

Anyways, you are are describing is not typical. Most entry level jobs in accy/fin straight from undergrad with no experience are at GS-7/9 or 7/10. Just check out Usajobs.gov if you don't believe me. Then it is 9/11, 10/12, or similar, then or 11/12, 11/13 or 11/14. That means that it can take 6-7 years, if you don't have experience, grad school or a CPA, to get to GS 12/13. It also means that management has 1 or 2 chances to derail your climb up the GS ladder if you are a stiff.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM

64 posts, read 82,645 times
I HIGHLY recommend the Federal government. Some government agencies may start you out low, but you'll get promoted pretty quickly to the GS-11 level, and maybe after 2-3 year in a GS-11 job, move upward to GS-12. There are a few government agencies that don't advertise on USAJOBS.com such as FBI, CIA and NGA and are hiring now for Finance officers. State Department too (and you can travel the world!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or