Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 AM

504 posts, read 1,206,575 times

Advertisements

With the amount of rain we have gotten this year, I am thinking about installing some rain water storage. Woudl like to know if anyone on the board has one and insights on where to buy (least expensive) and how your setup is like. We have steep dropoff in the back and thus can utilize water strictly from gravity for the landscaping in the back. But watering the front might require some pump. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM

4,364 posts, read 8,044,798 times
I looked at HD and Lowes and they have ready made kits, but were more expensive than what I wanted to pay. So I looked on craigslist and found some old barrels that they used to transport olives in. I got it for about $25. Walmart had a rain barrel diverter kit on sale for $10 (EarthMinded DIY Rain Barrel Diverter and Parts Kit-RBK-0001 at The Home Depot). I did buy an additional brass spigot as I didn't want to trust the plastic one, but that was optional. Then I used some cinder blocks and a few large paving stones to make a stand. I only use the built in pressure to fill watering cans to water my small garden. A coworker has a rain barrel system and he uses a pump to power a small sprinkler setup.

I only have the one barrel and it was enough for my gardening needs. I remember it took less than an hour of rainfall for the 55 gallon barrel to fill up. Over last years warm summer, I didn't run out of water. There was a time where it got close, maybe 5-10 gallons of water, but the next rain filled it back up. I did buy another barrel, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to hookup so I'm instead thinking of making a composting barrel.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 PM

9,860 posts, read 13,979,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I looked at HD and Lowes and they have ready made kits, but were more expensive than what I wanted to pay. So I looked on craigslist and found some old barrels that they used to transport olives in. I got it for about $25. Walmart had a rain barrel diverter kit on sale for $10 (EarthMinded DIY Rain Barrel Diverter and Parts Kit-RBK-0001 at The Home Depot). I did buy an additional brass spigot as I didn't want to trust the plastic one, but that was optional. Then I used some cinder blocks and a few large paving stones to make a stand. I only use the built in pressure to fill watering cans to water my small garden. A coworker has a rain barrel system and he uses a pump to power a small sprinkler setup.

I only have the one barrel and it was enough for my gardening needs. I remember it took less than an hour of rainfall for the 55 gallon barrel to fill up. Over last years warm summer, I didn't run out of water. There was a time where it got close, maybe 5-10 gallons of water, but the next rain filled it back up. I did buy another barrel, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to hookup so I'm instead thinking of making a composting barrel.
any issue with the standing water attracting mosquitoes?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:58 PM

160 posts, read 238,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
any issue with the standing water attracting mosquitoes?
Would one be able to put a cover over the barrel when one isn't drawing water?

Old 06-02-2014, 01:29 PM

The rain barrel is covered so no issue with standing water that mosquitoes use for breeding. The barrle similar to the middle orange one in this picture: http://rainbarrels.files.wordpress.c...n-barrels1.jpg I have the tube coming from the downspout and goes into a grommet in the side of the rain barrel. When the barrel gets full, it stops up the tube so rainwater stops getting collected and goes down the downspout like it would without the diverter.

In the winter, it's important to drain the barrel also. This past winter was really bad and a coworker didn't drain his. He has a metal barrel and the freezing water caused the barrel to bulge enough that it is sort of unstable standing so now he has to replace it.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:56 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,297,072 times
Quote:
The rain barrel is covered so no issue with standing water that mosquitoes use for breeding. The barrle similar to the middle orange one in this picture: http://rainbarrels.files.wordpress.c...n-barrels1.jpg I have the tube coming from the downspout and goes into a grommet in the side of the rain barrel. When the barrel gets full, it stops up the tube so rainwater stops getting collected and goes down the downspout like it would without the diverter.

In the winter, it's important to drain the barrel also. This past winter was really bad and a coworker didn't drain his. He has a metal barrel and the freezing water caused the barrel to bulge enough that it is sort of unstable standing so now he has to replace it.
You should still put some olive oil in the water to really keep bugs from flying through small orifices and laying eggs.

BTW, a lot of ways one of these goes really bad. Make sure you know what you are doing. You need an overflow that doesn't impound water, you need a good way to be able to maintain and disconnect. Theres some good products out there, do your research and if you have a friend who works in Water Resources ask them about it.

Also? Why are you putting one in? Typically these never have a pay back worth it (water is shockingly cheap). The only reason why some houses get them is because they are redevelopments, and its a requirement for expanding the footprint (or other comparable Stormwater management). Good on you I guess if you just want to, but yea monetarily speaking, no point to it and its not as simple as install and forget. Theres maintenance and other headaches that come of it.

Good luck

Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM

I doubt any bugs can get in. The grommet is pretty tight on the tubing. Some elbow grease is required to pull the tubing out. As far as disconnecting it, the unit I have just requires two screws that tap into the downspout. It includes a plug to seal up the downspout when storing for the winter. Takes less than 5 minutes to put it back to a regular downspout. Then I tuck the tubing back into the rain barrel for next year.This past winter I "winterized" it, but the year before I did not since we had such a mild winter.

I'm not sure how big of a system the OP is inquiring about. My setup is fine for my small 4' X 8' garden and assorted container plants/veggies. If they're talking about maybe a cistern system, then yeah they'd have to weigh the costs to see if it's worth their efforts. I feel like I'm doing my small part recycling the water and reducing my usage, and as I understand it, rainwater is better for plants versus using tap water.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,297,072 times
Quote:
I doubt any bugs can get in. The grommet is pretty tight on the tubing. Some elbow grease is required to pull the tubing out. As far as disconnecting it, the unit I have just requires two screws that tap into the downspout. It includes a plug to seal up the downspout when storing for the winter. Takes less than 5 minutes to put it back to a regular downspout. Then I tuck the tubing back into the rain barrel for next year.This past winter I "winterized" it, but the year before I did not since we had such a mild winter.

I'm not sure how big of a system the OP is inquiring about. My setup is fine for my small 4' X 8' garden and assorted container plants/veggies. If they're talking about maybe a cistern system, then yeah they'd have to weigh the costs to see if it's worth their efforts. I feel like I'm doing my small part recycling the water and reducing my usage, and as I understand it, rainwater is better for plants versus using tap water.
It carries a lot of nitrates and phosphorous from droppings, dead leaves, bugs, etc that help plants so thats true. Hey good on you if you are doing your part, water conservation is just as crucial an issue as energy sustainability.

I saw one person put in a concrete vault style harvesting tank last summer, didn't provide any overflow. And of course... put it right next to their area way... guess what happened. If its a pre-fab system, make sure you understand how it works. If its a made to fit by yourself... consult someone who has done one properly before 'cause whether its seasonal changes, maintenance, or plain old remembering to have a backup plan when its not being used... sometimes people forget. Sounds like you know what you are doing.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM

504 posts, read 1,206,575 times
I have a big yard and was looking at some of those brick-like modular low profile storage units on the web. Mainly it's because I have an area below the deck that I could tuck them there out of sight neatly. Also read that it's best to empty out the tank every 7 days to minimize bugs/mosquitoes? I suppose to drip hose line to the garden would work.

Anyhow, at least it's not illegal for us here to collect water... The City of Alexandria even promotes it!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
We have a rain barrel, too. It is covered with a screen on top. We actually bought it off of a neighbor on Craigslist for $25. That might be a good place to look for one. I've also heard of some counties/towns who sell them - not sure if anyone does near there. Water is expensive here in NC, and it's great to water our garden for free! We haven't had any problems with bugs or mosquitoes from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia