Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,076 times

Advertisements

While I currently live in Arizona, I recently got a job offer in Front Royal Va as a teacher. I've done a bit of research on the areas and understand that both are extremely rural, which I don't mind so much. My main concern is crime. It appears that both Front Royal and Winchester have higher crime rates than the national average. Is there any validity to this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhundl View Post
I've done a bit of research on the areas and understand that both are extremely rural, which I don't mind so much.
"Extremely rural" needs to be clarified. Yes, both are certainly more rural that Washington, DC and the rest of the Northern Virginia area, but both are also cities. Winchester has over 25K people, and Front Royal has about 15K people. While that may be rural compared to the rest of the region, it certainly isn't considered "extremely rural" compared to the rest of the country, where the average population of a city is a little over 6K

Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,631 times
I don't live in those areas but I've never heard of crime being issue in there.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"Extremely rural" needs to be clarified. Yes, both are certainly more rural that Washington, DC and the rest of the Northern Virginia area, but both are also cities. Winchester has over 25K people, and Front Royal has about 15K people. While that may be rural compared to the rest of the region, it certainly isn't considered "extremely rural" compared to the rest of the country, where the average population of a city is a little over 6K

Extremely rural by metro DC standards for sure.

I highly doubt that crime will be a major concern out there.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
I would strongly suggest Winchester over Front Royal. While FR is nestled in a beautiful mountain area it's an extremely dated area. My job is getting ready to move back there but the wife and I are moving from NOVA to Winchester. Crime will not be an issue for you. I'm in the LE field and I have zero concerns about moving out there from NOVA.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:17 PM

531 posts, read 1,428,600 times
Winchester is NOT extremely rural by any standard.

Middleburg is much more rural than Winchester.

Winchester is not a DC suburb. It is farther away from DC than most places in NOVA. But just because people living there don't depend on coming to DC or Fairfax for amenities, Winchester offers plenty of amenities of its own. Winchester has all the major big box stores, a shopping mall, a downtown historical area, a university. The list goes on. For kids they have a nice children's museum, Monkey Joes, Chuck E Cheese...

In my opinion, Winchester is a much better place to live than Front Royal.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
While I currently live in Arizona, I recently got a job offer in Front Royal Va as a teacher. I've done a bit of research on the areas and understand that both are extremely rural, which I don't mind so much. My main concern is crime. It appears that both Front Royal and Winchester have higher crime rates than the national average. Is there any validity to this?

Thanks!
Not sure where you're getting your info from. But it sounds inaccurate.
Sweeping generalizations about certain towns/cities are usually . . . just that.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
I don't think you should worry about crime. The crime rates for the two towns are actually lower than the national average, not higher. For 2012, Winchester's crime rate = 259.3. Front Royal = 212.1. National average = 301.1. Each city's crime info is on it's City Data page. I myself have never had any reason to fear for my safety here. If you want to check out the Frederick County Sheriff's arrest records, they can be found here -> http://fredweb.co.frederick.va.us/sh...fs/arrests.pdf
Seems like mostly petty crimes. I can imagine the arrest records for Warren County (where Front Royal is located) would be even more boring of a read.

I agree with some of the previous posters in that Winchester is not extremely rural (I moved here from the NE Ohio suburban sprawl and even I don't think it's that rural). Population is ~26K, and that only includes the city limits, not the surrounding area. Front Royal is a smaller town in a slightly more rural of an area, and if you don't mind that, I think it would be a good choice to live there, near your new job, rather than commuting 30 or so minutes from Winchester. A 30 minute commute can turn much longer in the winter thanks to the lamentable snow removal capabilities around here. But then again, you're a teacher, and schools in the whole Mid-Atlantic area shut down if you just say the word "snow," so maybe it's not something to worry about after all!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:

Thanks!
What school will you be working at? I'll put it to you this way. I wouldn't say crime is necessarily a major issue, but Front Royal definitely has its share of poverty.... Yes, there are pockets of crime in both towns, but nothing you won't find anywhere else in the country I'd imagine.... Certainly nothing to be scared of if that is what is keeping you away....

As has already been said, these two locales aren't, "extremely rural", but the surrounding areas are definitely "rural" to some degree.... Nothing wrong with that. Everything you could need is a stone's throw away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia