U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:59 PM

3,669 posts, read 4,916,263 times

Advertisements

has anyone here ever been issued a ticket?
what was the outcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 05:48 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
That's about the worst thing you can do while driving, short of downing a fifth of whiskey. I never text and drive and am for ruthless enforcement of the law against it.

I don't think courts are going to cut any slack on these; it's a cut/dry offense and (unlike, say, speeding a few MPH over the limit), is extremely dangerous to others even when done just a little bit. Google all the people killed because someone decided to send a one-word text while driving.

Shoot, if you absolutely refuse not to communicate with someone while you're driving, at least call them up and put them on speaker. Still distracting, but at least your eyes are on the road.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,649,291 times
Is reading a newspaper a lesser offense legally than texting, or is it equal?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 AM

6,556 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is reading a newspaper a lesser offense legally than texting, or is it equal?
Depends. If an officer believes your actions, reading a paper, eating and so on while driving, causes you to swerve and so on you can be charged with Reckless Driving. (Driving as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person) Heck, even texting can bring a Reckless charge if your driving warrants such.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,427,791 times
I certainly agree that texting while driving is extremely dangerous and I would love to see strict enforcement, but I think it is difficult to enforce because it is hard to prove whether you were texting or doing something else with your phone. For example, my iPhone connects to my car audio system via Bluetooth and then my music plays from my iPhone but through my car audio speakers. If I change playlists while driving (which I rarely do and if I do, I try to do it only at a light that just turned red), that is not illegal under Virginia's texting law as I understand it. But, it is certainly going to look like I'm texting if I do it while driving. How do you prove which I was doing? I suppose you could subpoena the records from the cell phone company or look at the phone itself, but I don't see that happening in the case of a simple citation for texting while driving.

Really, what we probably need is a law that prohibits all cell phone or smartphone use while driving. Make it illegal to even touch the phone. But, I don't think a law like that is going to fly anytime soon, if ever. People are addicted to their phones.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:53 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I certainly agree that texting while driving is extremely dangerous and I would love to see strict enforcement, but I think it is difficult to enforce because it is hard to prove whether you were texting or doing something else with your phone. For example, my iPhone connects to my car audio system via Bluetooth and then my music plays from my iPhone but through my car audio speakers. If I change playlists while driving (which I rarely do and if I do, I try to do it only at a light that just turned red), that is not illegal under Virginia's texting law as I understand it. But, it is certainly going to look like I'm texting if I do it while driving. How do you prove which I was doing? I suppose you could subpoena the records from the cell phone company or look at the phone itself, but I don't see that happening in the case of a simple citation for texting while driving.

Really, what we probably need is a law that prohibits all cell phone or smartphone use while driving. Make it illegal to even touch the phone. But, I don't think a law like that is going to fly anytime soon, if ever. People are addicted to their phones.
And I'm addicted to staying alive. I'd be all for such a law, and I don't think I'm the only one.

For now, doesn't an officer who has pulled you over on suspicion of texting while driving have the right to look at your phone, given that he/she has reasonable suspicion (probable cause) that you were using it? All they have to do is look at the last text sent; I don't think that's an unreasonable intrusion if you were messing with the phone while you were behind the wheel. If you're really worried a cop is going to see some embarrassing text, either don't send embarrassing texts, or don't even touch your phone once you get in the car.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,776,153 times
I don't get it. What makes people think they can operate a 2-ton vehicle and stay alert while texting, talking on the phone, reading a newspaper, putting on make-up, etc.? Phones do have voice mail. What's the big deal in answering every phone call when it rings, especially when driving and putting oneself and others at risk?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,819,653 times
Most new cars have bluetooth so if it's really important you should be calling hands free anyway. Texting also puts yourself into danger...you can google many stories of teens and others hitting barricades, stopped trucks, etc and killing themselves while texting.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,649,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I don't get it. What makes people think they can operate a 2-ton vehicle and stay alert while texting, talking on the phone, reading a newspaper, putting on make-up, etc.? Phones do have voice mail. What's the big deal in answering every phone call when it rings, especially when driving and putting oneself and others at risk?
Exactly. So why do we have a law specific to texting? Do we need a law specific to reading a paper and another against putting on make-up?

I rarely text or use my cell phone in general, let alone text while driving. I'm playing a bit part of Devil's Advocate here, but isnt there almost a limitless amount of laws that could be put on the books addressing activities that are distracting while driving?

Old 06-08-2014, 11:36 AM

6,556 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Exactly. So why do we have a law specific to texting? Do we need a law specific to reading a paper and another against putting on make-up?

I rarely text or use my cell phone in general, let alone text while driving. I'm playing a bit part of Devil's Advocate here, but isnt there almost a limitless amount of laws that could be put on the books addressing activities that are distracting while driving?
Hence the Reckless Driving I was talking about which could possibly address almost all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or