Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Out in the boonies.
No it's not.

I've grown up un and around Haymarket since 73. Worked the area with PWCPD from 79-2009. Back in the old days (70's) Haymarket was really a backwoods kind of town. The old truck stop, Orndoff's (maybe Orndorff's) was a landmark dump at the corner of Rt 15 and Rt 55. Before I 66 extended out here all the traffic was either on 29 or 15. They had a small town police department and the last town court and town judge in the state. Writing someone for 1 mph over the speed limit was commonplace. It was a quiet place and it still is today even with the increased homes being built there and the much increased traffic. Much of the homes near there are actually outside the town limits but they still have Haymarket addresses. Many restaurants have come along in the town and of course in nearby Gainesville. This is no longer a one horse town and is basically an extension of Manassas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 04:54 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Hmmm, 5 minutes to Manassas. It will take you more than 5 minutes to get to 66 if you live in one of the newer communities. I guess if you lived in the over 55 community off Lee Highway you could get to the battlefields in 5 minutes.

If you think Leesburg has subdivisions with families..... you would NOT be happy with the newer communities in western Prince William county unless you want an over 55 community. We have TONS of kids here. Western PW added about 10 schools in the last couple of years.
I do actually drive from the community you mentioned. However, I don't use 66. The central town of Haymarket is about 5 minutes from that community, and the battlefields are 5-10 in the other direction. I go down Heathcote and then 29, but only at times when there is no traffic. Haymarket to 66 is less than five minutes - it's right at the 66 exit to....Haymarket. I'm not sure where all the communities in Haymarket are located - I'm just using the middle of town. I go there several times a week from south Fairfax, and it's about 25 minutes. It actually takes me that long just to get to the other side of Fairfax, so I don't see how any one can say Haymarket is in the boonies.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 9,692 times
I know it takes a year of residency to get in state. Thanks for the info tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia