Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times

Advertisements

Hello there everyone! I'm a recent college graduate and I recently accepted a job offer in the DC area. I am looking for a place to stay and am pretty sure I'd prefer to live in Northern Virginia rather than DC itself or Maryland (proximity to work, hopefully a little less expensive rent, a little less urban).

I have been looking at apartments along Columbia Pike and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide an assessment of that area? My budget is fairly limiting and so far I like the look of the area and it falls within my budget due to the lack of a Metro, I'm assuming. It's got grocery stores and the bus routes are convenient for my future place of employment. If anyone has any recommendations (or ... anti-recommendations) for a studio apartment under 1200/month it would be greatly appreciated!

But yeah-- I'm hoping to move down there and if anyone has any recommendations for my budget, even outside of the Columbia Pike area (I was looking at Falls Church too) that would be awesome. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM

64 posts, read 100,827 times
Are you completely against a roommate? Most apartments I know start at about $1500 for a studio, even in that area. If you need a metro area, I would recommend around Old Town Alexandria and the Rosslyn/Courthouse/Clarendon/VA Square/Ballston area as well.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:05 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Pike is OK--gentrifying and more pricey on the east end, and old and mostly low-income Hispanic on the west end.

Also consider Lee Highway in Arlington, west of Quincy. The 3Y bus goes right into DC. Far enough from Metrorail to be more affordable.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
You should live with roommates. You can find something for under $1,000 in almost any location if you go the group house/apartment route. Not only will you save a lot of money and be in a better location, but it will open up your social life more.

It is extremely, extremely common for recent college grads moving here to find roommates via Craigslist.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Yup, almost anyone under 30 has a roommate (whether that's a friend or a significant other or a random craigslister). Alternatively, you may be able to find a basement apartment rental in your budget if you're really anti-roommate.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Colonial Village has cheap studio apartments but I don't know if any are available.

Columbia Pike is a very easy place to commute from though. Theres like at least one bus every couple minutes and the 16X goes to downtown DC. Definitely worth paying less for a more metro-acessible area.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 AM

160 posts, read 241,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Columbia Pike is a very easy place to commute from though. Theres like at least one bus every couple minutes and the 16X goes to downtown DC. Definitely worth paying less for a more metro-acessible area.
Agreed. There's also the 16Y to McPherson Square, which is pretty downtown-ish too. The very, very frequent buses to Pentagon City and/or the Pentagon are great as well, since one can then hop onto a train and be in the city in minutes. Columbia Pike is reasonably priced in most places, and most of the buildings I've looked at are fairly nice.

That said, I would still suggest to the OP that he or she find roommates.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:45 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,103 times
Glebe House and Southern Towers offer studios for a lot less than $1200. I lived at GH for a year and paid $1005 per month. I moved to Southern Towers (more amenities) and pay $945 for a studio. I know that the Broadstone Van Dorn apartments advertise studios for $915 (no utilities included). I looked at Broadstone about 4 months ago when they hadn't yet officially opened, it was pretty nice. But ST offers utilities included so that's why I went with them.

I know they are not on Columbia Pike though, d'oh. A good friend of mine lives at Dominion Towers on Columbia Pike, and pays $1170 for a studio which is also pretty nice.

Best of luck in your search!

Last edited by beatlecrazy; 07-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: forgot stuff

Old 07-03-2014, 03:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
I, too, would suggest the roommate route. You're new to the city and it can be very lonely when you don't know people. Having roommates doubles/triples your social circle.

Your housing budget will also go much further allowing you to live in a safer area. I'm not specifically saying that area is unsafe but if you share a group house, you can frequently get into a better neighborhood.

Think about things like laundry -- do you want a communal laundry room in a large apartment? Parking -- do you want to be searching for a spot on the street late at night by yourself?

My daughter found a house that she shares with three other young women in a very safe neighborhood with parking right outside the house for several hundred less than an efficiency. That several hundred dollars leaves much more for savings and fun.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: