U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 PM

7,724 posts, read 18,524,039 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am beyond irritated....watching a new show tonight, 20-some minutes into the show, volume just plain disappears. Change channel, volume fine, return to show, no volume. Pause show...hit play, doesn't do it. Switch channels a again - nothing. Then I go to call Verizon. What a joke! I could be eligible for social security by the time someone answers - gave up. I have noticed with increased frequency, TV volume issues are a common denominator in my Verizon service. You would think with the amount of money I turn over to this company on a month/yearly basis, finding an accessible number would be available (You have to really hunt down their phone number).

In fairness, they blow the doors off Comcast in PW County. I don't think I've had an outrage in years of any kind for phone, wireless phone, Internet and TV. I guess I've been spoiled, so when a show has no sound, it's a rare event.

(I was also recording the show for someone, and that also had no audible. Fortunately, it repeats later in the night and day I am attempting to record at a different time....and then there's demand....but still, it's a disappointment when you've been looking forward to a premiere).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM

529 posts, read 542,053 times
I have been using FIOS since early 2007, I never experienced what you described here.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,958,732 times
Switch to watching silent movies. Problem solved.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Okay, I am beyond irritated....watching a new show tonight, 20-some minutes into the show, volume just plain disappears. Change channel, volume fine, return to show, no volume. Pause show...hit play, doesn't do it. Switch channels a again - nothing. Then I go to call Verizon. What a joke! I could be eligible for social security by the time someone answers - gave up. I have noticed with increased frequency, TV volume issues are a common denominator in my Verizon service. You would think with the amount of money I turn over to this company on a month/yearly basis, finding an accessible number would be available (You have to really hunt down their phone number).

In fairness, they blow the doors off Comcast in PW County. I don't think I've had an outrage in years of any kind for phone, wireless phone, Internet and TV. I guess I've been spoiled, so when a show has no sound, it's a rare event.

(I was also recording the show for someone, and that also had no audible. Fortunately, it repeats later in the night and day I am attempting to record at a different time....and then there's demand....but still, it's a disappointment when you've been looking forward to a premiere).
I had FIOS when I lived in Springfield, and I'd still have it, but it isn't available here in Centreville. I had some similar problems with FIOS-----try re-booting the junction box----it worked for me.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 AM

140 posts, read 226,862 times
If you changed to another channel and it had sound, have you considered it was probably the network broadcasting the show?

Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,271 times
A friend of mine had this problem. After a quick google search I asked if he was using a Vizio. He was. You are also aren't you? Many Vizio TV's (not all) do not support all audio codecs such as Dolby Digital and DTS. There are licensing fees to be able to decode these common audio formats and Vizio saves a couple of bucks by not paying these fees. This is the reason your sound drop outs, you bought a cheap TV and get what you pay for. Fios actually pushes 5.1 surround where available, it's better quality audio than Comcast does.

Your best bet is to buy a surround sound setup, you can get them from Best Buy, Amazon, etc for anywhere from a couple hundred to a about a thousand dollars. If you get one with an integrated blu ray after, make sure it has at least 1 HDMI input for when the player dies - most people have bad luck with all in one home theaters. I'd recommend getting a receiver without a player built in. DO NOT buy a Vizio sound bar as your "solution.

You can try this first, it didn't work for my buddy but it's worth a shot.
HDMI / HD Audio Drop outs for VZ FiOS. Possible Fix - Verizon FiOS TV | DSLReports Forums

Last edited by Monkey11; 06-10-2014 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,427,475 times
My last two TVs have been Vizios with Verizon FiOS as my cable provider. I have had no such problems being described by Monkey11.

That said, I have had my DVR box replaced twice in recent months. First, because the DVR got stuck on the download initiation screen. Second, because my replacement started making noises periodically that didn't seem to be going away. Got my replacement this past weekend and seems to be working well.

I have found when calling Verizon customer service to immediately ask for a customer service representative. If you don't, they will route you through the automated troubleshooting service which will not solve the problem, and then you will be dropped into the queue after you go through all the pointless troubleshooting. Calling early on a weekday morning also typically helps you reduce the wait time greatly.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM

269 posts, read 591,556 times
We sometimes have the similar issue as OP.

First, while watching CNN (channel 600), the audio suddenly drops out. Turn to neighbor channels, like CNBC, MSNBC, or Al Jeezra. Other channels are usually fine (on some occasions, some of these channels also have problem). Go back to CNN. Sometimes the audio comes back. Other times, it doesn't. Then watch those channels that work, thinking that this might be a time for a prophecy from God. By the time I realize that this was not it, go back to CNN. Usually the audio comes back.

That is a random problem, hard to predict when it happens and when it comes back.

Second, not watching TV, but just wanting to play the music in the background from one of those music channels (1900~~), I play it directly from DVR box to an audio amp---so there's no TV involved. Maybe 30 minutes or 1 hour or so later, the music suddenly stops. Same thing--change to other channel and come back, then sometimes the audio comes back or other times it doesn't. The funny thing is, when I am "actively" around in front of the DVR, this doesn't seem to happen, but when I am not, it happens more reliably. It happens also when I am napping, so it actually works pretty well, just like a "sleep" button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia