Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:45 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times

Advertisements

I think retirement for us is just going to be longer cruises....home base will still be here

At 57 feet, our old Chris*Craft Connie is very comfortable for two over an extended period. We've cruised the Maine coast several times already but with more time, I can see maybe Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI....or the Great Lakes via the St Lawrence. The old girl has plenty of range for such trips....albeit with painful stops at the fuel pier.

Which is about the only thing that could foul up our plans....a major "oil crisis" that causes "shortages" or skyrocketing diesel prices. Lord knows, those old Detroits LOVE their fuel oil, LOL. I suppose we could switch to sail if push came to shove....but while we have some sailing experience, I'm much more proficient with a pair of throttle levers in my hand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 05:54 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think retirement for us is just going to be longer cruises....home base will still be here

At 57 feet, our old Chris*Craft Connie is very comfortable for two over an extended period. We've cruised the Maine coast several times already but with more time, I can see maybe Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI....or the Great Lakes via the St Lawrence.
Man, that sounds great. Next time I want you to tow me behind you in my kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The old girl has plenty of range for such trips....albeit with painful stops at the fuel pier.
Hey, that's no way to talk about your wife!

Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 PM

230 posts, read 161,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'd like to spend spring/summer/fall in the Northeast - PA/NJ and the winter in Florida. My husband, however, has other ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
Florida in the winter. Somewhere else in the summer.
Ditto! Luckily, my husband is on board with the idea and hopefully we'll head down to the Gulf coast to do some exploring this fall. I am SO ready! I have my heart set on Naples, but obviously need to get out and see what's available and what suits our budget. I LOVE California, and had always hoped to move out west, but as native east coasters, it just makes more economic sense for us to remain on the eastern seaboard so that we may easily travel back and forth.

Here's to hoping that everyone's retirement dreams become a reality!!

Old 07-19-2015, 06:07 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,653,990 times
The problem with Florida is that it's uninhabitable during large portions of the year. We'll go down for Spring Training in mid-March alright, but that's already getting close to the intolerable zone.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
probably the sand hills of NC (near Pinehurst). I'm single & childless, and I've got lots of nieces and nephews down there, so when i get unable to fully manage for myself, I'll be close to someone who can lend a helping hand or bring by a bag of groceries and visit a bit. It's nice to imagine being in tip-top health until I just keel over suddenly one day, but chances are that won't happen.

Plus, living expenses are much less down there and my retirement dollars will last longer/go farther.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Im about 40 years from retirement, but i'm moving to Los Angeles next summer. I really could care less about the entertainment industry, but getting out of the miserable east coast weather that ive dealt with my whole life will be so freaking nice. Only 6 weeks left of this miserable crap, and I will never have to deal with it again!

And being a military brat, its weird to live somewhere for 12 years. So ready for a change of scenery.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:49 AM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Not sure! If my husband and I are able to retire comfortably at all about 30 years from now, I'll consider ourselves lucky, and go from there. Definitely not a sweltering hot location.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:23 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
The problem with Florida is that it's uninhabitable during large portions of the year. We'll go down for Spring Training in mid-March alright, but that's already getting close to the intolerable zone.
Many people go down there from November to April for that reason. If one wants to declare Florida as their state of residency (mainly for tax benefits) then they need to be there 6 months and 1 day. Otherwise, one could shorten it to Dec. to March if April is too hot. That's what my parents do (they're snowbirds) as they've maintained Pennsylvania as their state of residency. A lot of their friends do the 6 month thing, though. The negatives of being a snowbird, however, are having two places to maintain and pay for. The positives are being near family and friends "up north" for 6+ months a year, while avoiding the cold weather for the worst of winter. That's what I'd like to do.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:55 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,653,990 times
Usually winters in NoVa don't seem all that bad to me. It's mostly Dec 15 to Feb 15 that you have to watch out for. Some years are worse and some are better of course. But I used to live in Florida, and all I recall is the need to live like a bat almost continuously between St. Patrick's Day and Veterans Day. Spring Training is a blast alright, but if it weren't for that, I can't think of anything that would prompt me to go back Lots of negatives and few positives.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:11 PM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Usually winters in NoVa don't seem all that bad to me. It's mostly Dec 15 to Feb 15 that you have to watch out for. Some years are worse and some are better of course. But I used to live in Florida, and all I recall is the need to live like a bat almost continuously between St. Patrick's Day and Veterans Day. Spring Training is a blast alright, but if it weren't for that, I can't think of anything that would prompt me to go back Lots of negatives and few positives.
Agree with that. I spent a summer there and hated it. It was like today outside, but every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia