U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,709 times

Advertisements

Hey - do you guys know if wi-fi (for internet on laptops, data/internet on iPads, phones, etc.) actually works on Metro train cars - like, when they're in a tunnel underground? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,689,163 times
No. Only when the train pulls into a station and then it goes out again when it leaves the station.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM

13,041 posts, read 19,873,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
No. Only when the train pulls into a station and then it goes out again when it leaves the station.
Wifi?

Cell data does work in some tunnels, and some stations, and on some carriers. This is overdue. Metro promised it for all carriers, but it seems to be delayed.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Wifi?

Cell data does work in some tunnels, and some stations, and on some carriers. This is overdue. Metro promised it for all carriers, but it seems to be delayed.
Oh duh, I misread. Even if they had WiFi, I'm pretty sure it would only be in stations. NYC has WiFi at some stations and I really don't get the point.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:31 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,984,572 times
Wi-fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac) is different from Cellular data networks (e.g. 3G, 4G LTE).

The former does not exist in Metro. The latter is sometimes existent, but your results will vary widely based on carrier and location. In my very limited experience, Verizon seemed to have more success than AT&T. But what do I know - I ride the Metro downtown about once or twice a year.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 AM

I'm pretty sure Verizon has the best service. IIRC, Metro started the service for only Verizon users and is expanding.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,428,911 times
This article is over a year old, but I do recall reading about the problems last year: Metro's cellphone installation in trouble | WashingtonExaminer.com

Not sure what has happened since then. I can certainly attest that, on AT&T, I generally get 3G or 4G service in stations, but nothing in the tunnels. I think Verizon has service in the tunnels because they were originally hired by Metro to provide service for the train operators; however, I think the Verizon service in the tunnels is not 3G or 4G - it's a very basic network without high speed data capabilities providing little usefulness - better than nothing, I suppose. Perhaps one day, there will be adequate service throughout the Metro system, but I think we're very far away from that day.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Data in the tunnels would be nice to have. But there are enough obnoxious people on Metro as is and so I can't say I look forward to this.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM

473 posts, read 987,327 times
I have Verizon and it does work in some stations. Mainly the big ones like Metro center, lenfant, those that are crossed with other lines. I'm pretty sure I've never gotten LTE to work but 3G will show on my phone.

Sometimes, I have to be quick to download a story as I'm coming into a station. Then I can happily read it during the rest of my commute.

Finally, I think making and receiving calls is for the most part doable as your'e in the tunnels, but data is pretty much out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or