U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 AM

10 posts, read 47,407 times

Advertisements

Anyone know about the Elmwood Drive (close to Telegraph Road) section of Huntington? We are looking at a great duplex there - There would be two young females living there, who may be walking dogs late at night...wondering about safety and general area. Good grocery stores around? One female would be walking to Huntington Metro...would love your input!

I currently live in South Georgia so I am trying to gauge everything about this upcoming move via the internet! Thanks - kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Actually it is much closer to Burgundy Village than Huntington, if that helps! Thanks for any information you can provide!

Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 PM

43 posts, read 221,237 times
Hi. I currently live close to this area. Right on the other side of the Capital Beltway. Your second post brings things a little more in focus. Burgundy Village is a little enclave neighborhood on the other side of Telegraph Road from Huntington. Actually, 'Huntington' can cover a wide area. Where will you be working? Will there be cars involved, even if it is just to the Metro station? Will there be any school aged children? Somebody else posted this link in another thread, and I think it is really useful: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...=1197577170887 (broken link)
I would be happy to do a drive by of a neighborhood for you. Of course, my opinions probably will not equal yours.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_n_Pontiac View Post
Hi. I currently live close to this area. Right on the other side of the Capital Beltway. Your second post brings things a little more in focus. Burgundy Village is a little enclave neighborhood on the other side of Telegraph Road from Huntington. Actually, 'Huntington' can cover a wide area. Where will you be working? Will there be cars involved, even if it is just to the Metro station? Will there be any school aged children? Somebody else posted this link in another thread, and I think it is really useful: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...=1197577170887 (broken link)
I would be happy to do a drive by of a neighborhood for you. Of course, my opinions probably will not equal yours.

My previous post had a bad link. Try it now: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...=1197749774471

Old 12-15-2007, 01:50 PM

I'm actually going to be working out at Andrews, so I wanted something near the beltway, which this seems to be. The house actually seems to be separated from the beltway by a patch of trees.

It would be AWESOME if you could do a driveby! It is a duplex on a cul-de-sac called Eleanor Ct, off of Elmwood - near where Elmwood meets Burgundy Rd. (I Google mapped it, and it looks like a fairly secluded neighborhood). I am just wondering if it seems safe to walk the dogs, and my roommate would be walking to the metro station, which is supposedly about a 10 min walk. No children, just some furry ones.

Thanks for the post link! That is really cool. That little pocket seems to have NO crime, which is neat...super helpful and encouraging!

I would appreciate your opinion when you do a drive-by...I tend to be drawn towards more upscale neighborhoods, but I just can't afford it for this move. I know these neighborhoods are older, but the duplex seems to be well-kept from the pics.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-15-2007, 05:13 PM

Okay. We do not know anything about each other, other than I live in the area and you are two young women in southern Georgia. Please understand, these are my opinions and observations. Please treat them as such. I drove down this culdesac. I saw at least two new or renovated structures that could have been considered duplexes. One was occupied, the other was not (the one that backed to the beltway exit ramp). Between the two, there was a small, vacant single family house with a for sale sign. As mentioned, the culdesac is behind an exit ramp from the beltway. The point is that the ramp is somewhat off of the beltway, so you would not be directly under the highway itself. Keep in mind, that Interstate 95 is the main north-south artery on the east coast. It would not bother me, but you are likely to contantly hear the whine of truck tires. You mention working at Andrews Air Force Base. Geographically, this neighborhood is relatively close. However, regional traffic is fierce and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge that carries this highway over the Potomac River from Virginia to Maryland and back has always been notorious for backups. This bridge is part of an on-going construction project called the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Project that does and will effect where this neighborhood lets out onto Telegraph Road. Lots of orange construction barrels and jersey barriers. I would not call the intersection with Telegraph Road pedestrian friendly. There is a traffic light and a crosswalk, but during rush hours, traffic on Telegraph Road will be such that great care will be needed to cross Telegraph Road from the Burgundy neighborhood to Huntington Road to walk to the Metro station. It is not a terribly long walk, but I would bet that it would take longer than the 10 minutes mentioned. You mentioned the two of you as being young, so that would not be an issue, but it is not a walk that I would want to make in extreme cold, snow, ice, rain, or late at night. There are buses that service Elmwood Drive. You can get info at http://www.wmata.com/metrobus/maps/va.pdf. I would say the neighborhood is working class, judging from the contractor pickups and vans parked on the street and in the neighboring driveways. At Telegraph and Huntington, on the walk to the Metro station, there is a Spanish supermarket http://www.bestwaymarket.com/alexandria.html. Beyond that, you would have to drive to Duke Street or Richmond Highway to find chains like Giant Food. Close, but beyond walking distance. I would not use upscale or trendy as words to descibe Burgundy Village. Safe? Yes. Walk dogs at night? Yes. Would I live there? In a heartbeat. Again, I do not know your situation. Did you get a bargain on this place? Is a relative nearby? This area is going to be considerably higher priced than southern Georgia. However, it is currently a buyer's market and there is a lot of inventory. 1) How commited are you to this property? If you can consider other options, you may wish to shop around. I am not trying to talk you out of Burgundy Village, I am just saying that there is currently much available and perhaps something a little more suited to you. 2) If you are going to buy a place, any place, I would strongly encourage more research than just the word of a stranger on an internet board. This is a big, vast, melting pot area. Finally, the neighborhood is in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County. Alexandria, in my opinion, is a great place to live. It is very dog friendly. Here is a link to some local dog parks: http://www3.alexandriava.gov/recreat...s/dogpark.html. Right across the beltway, the US Patent and Trademark office has opened a huge complex in recent years, which is attracting amenities, like the Hoffman Center, with restaurants and movie theaters. Good luck, welcome to Virginia, email with more questions.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM

You are WONDERFUL!!! We are actually not buying but renting one of the duplexes, and yes it is a steal (in our opinion) - $1600 for three bedrooms, 1100 sq feet, and a backyard. Hardwood floors in the house, etc. It is definitely not where I plan to set up camp forever, but for the first year anyway while I get my bearings and get a better plan (I was given five weeks notice on this move to Alex, so I've had to adapt pretty quickly). For the prices I've seen all over Alex and for the space I would consider appropriate for two people, it seems like a real bargain. I don't mind driving a little farther for a grocery, I do that here in GA already. Working class is fine with me. Thanks so much for your input, it was exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate you driving by there, that was above and beyond. Kelly

Old 12-16-2007, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 63,205 times
Linux is exactly right about this area. My mother has lived in Huntington for over 30 years and refuses to move anywhere else, mostly because she doesn't drive and this location is the most convenient one around for access to buses and metro. She is in her mid-70's now and has lived alone most of the time since my father died in '93, and she has never been the least bit afraid. I lived there too for several years until I went out on my own more than 20 years ago. My niece and sister-in-law have lived in Burgundy Village (Campbell Drive) for about 20 years, and my sister-in-law lived in Huntington before that. As a matter of fact, she was born there and her mother still lives there.

The only complaint that I've heard from my sister-in-law and niece is that, over the past few years, many of the homes in Burgundy Villiage have become occupied by multiple families with many children, so they sometimes worry about the children playing in the street. They have also had a slight problem with people blocking their driveway, double-parking and damaging their vehicles, etc., but that is only because they live very near the back entrance of the elementary school so people show up there to drop off and pick up their children. I don't think I have ever heard them complain of "real" crime.

My biggest concern for you is one that Linux mentioned, and I just want to stress it.....walking to the metro. Telegraph Road has always been very busy and difficult to cross, but with the current construction that's going on right now, it has become much worse (especially at rush hour) and I personally wouldn't even consider it. The biggest problem is that there is always traffic coming off of the outer loop of the beltway so, if you get a break to cross Telegraph, it is inevitable that many cars will be making a right turn on red at the same time and steal your chance. And once you make it to the median strip, you will have the same problem with people turning right off of North Kings Highway. Also, like Linux said, I think it would take much more than 10 minutes to walk to the metro, even if you didn't have a problem crossing Telegraph.

If you're not dead set on this particular house, you might want to take a closer look at Huntington. Riverview Terrace, Fairview Terrace, Glendale Terrace, Biscayne Drive and Blaine Drive would be your best options and also closest to the metro, without having to cross any major roads. My mother lives on Riverview and I think she makes it to the metro in about 10 minutes. This particular area is all duplexes, except for a very few single family homes at the very top of Biscayne and some small apartments at the bottom and on Glendale. The worst problems in this area are parking (if you don't have a driveway), and sometimes getting up the hill in the snow. People have been known to park somewhere at the bottom and walk up if there is particularly bad weather. If you do decide to look at this area, keep in mind that some people refer to Huntington as "upper" and "lower". Upper would be the area including the streets mentioned above, and lower would be on the opposite side of Huntington Avenue. Lower Huntington has many duplexes too, but more single family homes than upper Huntington. But one word of caution....there was a severe flood in lower Huntington a few years ago, so some of the homes down there could still show signs of damage. Also, even in upper Huntington, if you find one with a basement, definitely ask if there has ever been a problem with the basement flooding. I know that some homes (but definitely not all) have had that problem if there is a good amount of rain and the ground is already wet. Good luck and welcome to Northern Virginia!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 AM

Wow, thank you SO much for the helpful and detailed information. We are planning a trip up next weekend to meet with a realtor about rental properties, and I am SO excited! Unfortunately we missed out on this particular property, but have many others to consider. Considering Alexandria City mostly, but there are still some properties below the beltway that have piqued our interest. Your information will be of great help in deciding. Happy New Year to all!!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,730 times
I've lived a few blocks from there for the last three years, and found it to be a nice neighborhood. For younger folks, you might consider one of the many high rises on the other side of Telegraph/King's Highway. It will be a much easier walk to the metro stop (you don't have to cross a major road for many of them), but your drive to MD will be a longish one (there is a huge rebuilding of the bridge going on, it's only half done).

The area is fairly low crime (although to be fair they aren't as low crime as you'd expect, the high rises add a lot of low crime population to what would be a pretty high crime neighborhood). There are lots of young people and people new to the area there. It's very ethnically diverse, and most folks are pretty pleasant. You're close to a Target, Lowes, Shoppers (grocery), and Giant (grocery), and a latin Grocery, there. Dining options are more limited, but old town is a short metro ride away (or drive, although parking is sometimes hard to find).

The nicest building in the area is Montebello, but the new condo, Midtown, is probably quite nice as well. I'd suggest a higher floor as the road noise is much less a problem once you get up a ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia