Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM

142 posts, read 272,057 times

Advertisements

We all know what the media is pushing down our throats with regards to the Washinton Redskins, but what say you?

And what would you change it to?

For me...

Change it to the Washington Generals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,877,827 times
keep it the Redskins, just change the logo

Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,301,716 times
Since it will almost definitely be changed at some point down the road, I say just start the process now and get it over with. I'd have to see a list of potential names. No matter what name they pick it'll feel weird for a little while.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,282,063 times
As someone living in the DC area I could really care less. Change it, don't change it. It doesn't affect me in any way shape or form. I think the entire conversation is beyond ridiculous, a complete waste of time and resources, and a side effect of the politically world we currently reside.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,433,882 times
Change it. Snyder should capitalize (no pun intended) on the notoriety by having a contest to select the new name.

One possibility, if they want to keep it similar to the current name: Red Sky or Red Skies. They could then play this to whip up the baby boomers in the crowd:

The Fixx - Red Skies - YouTube

Apologies, if some team already has that name.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:44 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,467,801 times
The Washington Americans, then get permission from Marvel comics to use Captain America's uniform

Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM

50,079 posts, read 46,654,631 times
What do we do with the thousands of High Schools that use the same term as a team name.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,213,201 times
How about the name of the tribe that actually inhabited the area?

Potomacs

Old 06-19-2014, 12:44 PM

617 posts, read 1,351,420 times
I'm a fairly involved Skins fan on message board and so forth, and have a few opinions on this for better or worse.

First off, the potato joke has been made about 10,000 times already, if not 10 million.

So to has the idea of "Washington Warriors" and keeping the spear logo. Snyder has trademarked that name already, though my understanding is he trademarked the name in anticipation of fielding an Arena League team. But it's a name he already owns, so it's a possibility.

This ruling by the PTO ultimately means very little other than potential ramifications in the court of public opinion. They made the same ruling in 1999 and the ruling got overturned by the courts. From what I've read, there's zero new information or facts in this ruling from the 1999 one, so it will probably be overturned again after years in courts.

People mistakenly think that this is a license to print any Skins merchandise they want, sell it without penalty, etc. Federal trademarking is not the only protection the Skins have, I'd suggest anyone who attempts to go this route and make enough profit to get the team's notice be prepared to lose their shirt in an expensive court battle.

Ultimately though, who cares about the name? While I share the opinion that Congress and others have other things to worry about, and there are countless arguments on both sides of the aisle as to whether the name is truly offensive, I just don't care. As someone who was born and raised in the D.C. area, the important part of the "Washington Redskins" name was always the Washington part, since that's the part that represents my city. They can be the Warriors, Senators, Red Tails, Bullets (yes, I've seen people suggest they take the old basketball name) or whatever, so long as the Washington part remains consistent. These long time "fans" who claim they're going to stop rooting for the team or stop watching football, over a team name, ought to undergo a procedure to restrict future breeding.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM

163 posts, read 313,486 times
If anyone wants the name changed, they can put together a group of investors and buy a 51% share from Snyder and change the name. I bet there are more than a few billionaires who can afford this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia