U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
As someone living in the DC area I could really care less. Change it, don't change it. It doesn't affect me in any way shape or form. I think the entire conversation is beyond ridiculous, a complete waste of time and resources, and a side effect of the politically world we currently reside.
You could care less then (sorry, makes me crazy when people say "could care less" instead of couldn't. Personally, I think it's offensive in that it is a derogatory term for Indians (would blackskins or brownskins or yellowskins fly?) - I'm not American Indian but it's offensive to them (think of all the nasty terms for most if not all ethnic groups) and shouldn't be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:07 PM

38 posts, read 42,709 times
I don't watch football, I don't care about football either. However, I do care when the government is bullying any company into changing its name; this should not happen, period. Let the fans/people decide with their wallets like anything else.

If you find the name offensive, then don't go to the games, or watch them on TV for that matter; don't buy their merchandise, but more importantly don't support the team in any shape of form, plain and simple. I am sure the owner will change it if there isn't enough revenue coming in.

I do believe political correctness is getting out of hand in this country. People nowadays think twice before saying anything afraid they may offend anybody else. Ridiculous, grow thicker skin.

I am sure there are more important issues in the country and world that Congress can focus their energy on.

My $0.2

Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 PM

5,194 posts, read 5,053,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You're missing my point. Geographical accuracy is not a priority in the NFL.

Well, sure, it's not a priority, but in this case, considering the reasons behind the proposal of a change of the team name, I think that a logo that is an accurate and respectful representation of a Potomac tribesman would be a good idea.

Besides, there WERE bears in the area that is now Chicago, panthers (aka cougar, puma, mountain lion) in the Carolinas, and jaguars in Florida.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM

813 posts, read 1,105,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
keep it the Redskins, just change the logo

And if they did this, they could sponsor a peewee-league football team called the Tater Tots

Old 06-19-2014, 03:44 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,209,503 times
Changing the name/logo is the least we can do for slaughtering Native Americans and stealing their land.
And while we are at it a little help for those that live in horrible conditions on reservations.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:19 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,544,518 times
I was just at walmart and I noticed they've quietly pulled all of their Redskins merch. Hats, shirts, banners, backpacks, nothing. I guess after 40 years they grew a conscience?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM

301 posts, read 585,311 times
I don't care if the name is changed or not, but if it is, how about keeping the same logo and changing the name similar to what it's trying to represent without being offensive to people? For example, assuming none of these names are offensive, the Indians or Braves (like the baseball teams), the Tomahawks, Tribe, Seminoles, Redhawks, etc. I'd think keeping the same colors and logo while being able to sing the current fight song (e.g., Hail to the "Redhawks") would work the best. Just my opinion.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 PM

472 posts, read 513,483 times
Why change it? It's just a bunch of people pushing the politically correct, white guilt, get me attention bit, looking for media time. I give high regards to Snyder for sticking to his guns on this issue. It will go away when the mob finds something else to complain about, which, won't take long.

While we are at it, wouldn't by the same token the "Fighting Irish" be offensive? Just look at the logo!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 PM

472 posts, read 513,483 times
This:
Here is an email sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page...
I always love your articles. and I generally agree with them. I would suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the d*ck heads in Congress.
Here are some other politically correctness to consider: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay.
We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns. The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.
The New York Yankees offend the Southern population . Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.
I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.
Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged . We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!
Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children . The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.
The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic . Wrong message to our children ..
The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates . Wrong message to our children.
The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children.
So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should . Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . .
As a diehard Oregon State fan, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers . "

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,424,597 times
Forgot the Pittsburg Steelers, glorifying thieves.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia