U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:47 PM

907 posts, read 1,782,105 times

Advertisements

If it must be changed, can we pleaaaaase change it to Virginia ...???

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-20-2014 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Sorry, that is considered to be an offensive term per the Terms of Service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:35 AM

38 posts, read 42,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
This:
Here is an email sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page...
I always love your articles. and I generally agree with them. I would suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the d*ck heads in Congress.
Here are some other politically correctness to consider: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay.
We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns. The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.
The New York Yankees offend the Southern population . Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.
I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.
Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged . We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!
Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children . The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.
The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic . Wrong message to our children ..
The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates . Wrong message to our children.
The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children.
So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should . Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . .
As a diehard Oregon State fan, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers . "
Sanity

Old 06-20-2014, 11:11 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,643,706 times
Yeah because Vikings and Redskins carry the same derogatory connotation...

That was an entertaining email but clearly not meant to be a legitimate argument.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 PM

574 posts, read 608,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Why change it? It's just a bunch of people pushing the politically correct, white guilt, get me attention bit, looking for media time. I give high regards to Snyder for sticking to his guns on this issue. It will go away when the mob finds something else to complain about, which, won't take long.

While we are at it, wouldn't by the same token the "Fighting Irish" be offensive? Just look at the logo!
Yeah, those Native Americans have always been such attention seekers! Somebody should just quietly push them onto a neat little corner of land somewhere so we won't even have to hear any more of their nonsense. I love how some people immediately start screaming "political correctness!" whenever they are asked to simply show some respect and common decency to their fellow human beings. This always happens, without fail, whenever an oppressed group decides to stand up for itself and stop taking other people's crap.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:29 PM

317 posts, read 390,900 times
Can you please explain how changing the name of the team will help these people's lives? Aside from making them feel good for about 5 minutes that they won some sort of victory.

Here's what I don't get:

We can all agree that a word can have its meaning changed over time. People give out examples such as "****", "gays", etc. that used to be okay but turned ugly. But...why can't it be the other way around? The word "redskin" being a slur is STILL debated, with sources claiming otherwise. Regardless, isn't it possible that it wasn't such a negative word to begin with (why else would any sane person name their franchise something that is so dirty??) or...hell, maybe the team through its decades of using the name, improved the definition of the word. Think about it, if you walk down the street and someone say "OMG look at that REDSKIN!!" most likely people will look around for a big athlete, their idol, their Sunday Hero.

Now... someone will retort "well it's different on reservations!" Well then, explain the schools on reservations that adopted the Redskins name and mascot if that word is so horrible.

I get that some people find it offensive, and it's worth the discussion. But discussion does not mean that change is necessary, but unfortunately it's viewed by the other side as such. We can't cater to everyone's sensibilities--Where do we draw the line? I personally find it offensive when people does that hand gesture with the index finger and the thumb to make the "okay" signal, but I don't expect that to be abolished.

With all of that said, my life won't change if the team becomes the Washington Redhawks (good) or the Sons of Washington (better), or even the Washington Pigskins (my personal favorite). But the sad part is...neither will those people on the reservations, and maybe even worse. They may be even more forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Yeah, those Native Americans have always been such attention seekers! Somebody should just quietly push them onto a neat little corner of land somewhere so we won't even have to hear any more of their nonsense. I love how some people immediately start screaming "political correctness!" whenever they are asked to simply show some respect and common decency to their fellow human beings. This always happens, without fail, whenever an oppressed group decides to stand up for itself and stop taking other people's crap.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,643,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Regardless, isn't it possible that it wasn't such a negative word to begin with (why else would any sane person name their franchise something that is so dirty??) or...hell, maybe the team through its decades of using the name, improved the definition of the word. Think about it, if you walk down the street and someone say "OMG look at that REDSKIN!!" most likely people will look around for a big athlete, their idol, their Sunday Hero.
I just don't understand why non-native americans try so hard to justify it. If they say it's offensive to them, I believe them. It honestly sounds kind of offensive. I would prefer nobody cared and it stayed the same because a name change would be weird at first, but I'm certainly fine with them changing it especially if it really does offend people. I just wish something would happen so the conversation would end.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 PM

472 posts, read 513,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Which Native Americans? A small group maybe. It certainly isn't Harry Reid, who decided to push the charge the other day in hopes of being relavent in an utterly worthless Senate.

I happen to know some Native Americans. In fact, I'm dating one. She has no quips about The Redskins, their logo, or their name. Neither does her family. They think its ridiculous that people are making such a big stink about it. For every Native American that does have an issue with the name "Redskins", there are probably 10 or more (probably a whole lot more) screaming liberals dying for attention in fear of being on "the wrong side of history". Whatever that means.

It is political correctness, right down to political stupidity. It's a private organization, privately owned, and none of the government's business how it runs. Much like the Clippers with Sterling, if the NFL wants to try and take action, that would be far more legitimate than politicians trying to pull the rug out from underneath them. Not that I would agree with that either.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:05 AM

270 posts, read 801,324 times
It's time for Dan to man up. There is plenty of precedent for changing names. St Bonaventure used to be the Brown Squaws (womens' teams). They changed. St John's wisely changed from the Redmen to the Red Storm.

As far as high schools then having to change their names, too. Well, too bad. They should do the right thing, too. The Pekin Chinks (Illinois) changed. So should all the teams named Redskins, and the Freeburg Midgets, the Robston Cottonpickers (Texas), and my personal favorite, the Butte Pirates (Idaho).

Old 06-21-2014, 06:08 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,382,144 times
Change the name. I am not going to any more games until the name is changed.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 PM

867 posts, read 1,082,407 times
LMFAO!!!! Butte Pirates, oh yeah? HAHAHA now THATS funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia