Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 5,722 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am soon to be relocating to the NOVA area and commuting to the L'Enfant Plaza area in DC. I have elem school age kids and was hoping to het into a good school/neighborhood but also for some/any realistic ideas about keeping my total commute time to a total of 1 hour...I am looking to buy a home in Herndon, Fairfax, or Centreville. I would drive to any bus, Metro or rail (?) options. I can vary my hours somewhat but plan to leave home around 0645 or so and head home around 430pm or so. Is there any hope/commuter options (other than carpooling) for me? ANY advise or personal experiences is GREATLY appreciated as I have no idea....thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
At those times, I'd be looking for something inside the beltway. If you can get on the road earlier or later than the times you posted, you'd be better off imo (if looking outside the beltway).

Old 06-21-2014, 09:24 AM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
What is your budget? How large a home are you wanting? Single family? Townhome? Condo?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
From Herndon, I drive to work near the King Street Metro station in around 50 minutes. I take the Fairfax County Parkway to 66E to 495S exiting on Telegraph Road. If I take 267E (toll road) versus 66E I'm there in 40 minutes.

As far as public transportation from Herndon, I take the 5A from the Herndon-Monroe Station to the L'Enfant Metro. I get to King Street in around 1 hour and 10 minutes. Your commute would be less than 45 minutes using the 5A to L'Enfant.

We love Herndon, and feel it's nicer than most areas inside the beltway for schools, etc. When the Silver line makes its way to Reston there will be even better options. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
I could be wrong, but I think most of the places you are considering are going to have commutes in excess of an hour to L'Enfant Plaza, particularly at the commuting times you're looking at. If you want to keep that commute time, I think you're going to have to be closer to one of the end-of-the-line Metro stations - Vienna, Franconia-Springfield, or Huntington. In my opinion, the Yellow/Blue Lines would be better for a commute to L'Enfant Plaza because you can use the Yellow Line bridge crossing to go straight to L'Enfant instead of the Rosslyn tunnel and all the metro stops in DC before you get to L'Enfant. As far as the new Silver Line goes, I think you're going to have to be in the Tyson's area and close to one of the Metro stops there to have an hour commute to L'Enfant. I should stipulate that I'm talking about door-to-door commute times, not the amount of time you will spend on a train/bus.

If none of those areas suit your budget and housing needs, I think I would look next at communities along 95 that have commuter buses to the Pentagon where you then transfer to the Yellow Line and go one stop to L'Enfant Plaza.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
The Silver Line is opening up soon (this summer). From Herndon to there is 15 minutes or so. Not sure how long from there to get to l'enfant, but it would be close to your 1 hoour requirement from home to l'enfant.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:00 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Wiehle-Reston East to L'Enfant Plaza will be 46 minutes on the Silver line train.

Service Information | silverlinemetro.com

I recommend finding something as close to the Wiehle-Reston East station as possible.

You don't indicate your price range or size constraints, but here are a few options that are very close to Wiehle.
1823 NORTH SHORE CT, RESTON, VA 20190 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11112 LAKESPRAY, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1924 LAKEPORT WAY, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11310 HARBORSIDE CL, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11426 TANBARK DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2022 CHADDS FORD DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2005 WINGED FOOT CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about Reston.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Just keep in mind than a 45 minute Metro ride as estimated by Metro usually equates to about a 75 minute door to door commute and possibly more if you live/work very far from the Metro station. Not to mention the inevitable days where you'll have a significant delay somewhere along the train ride. I don't think Reston/Herndon are bad areas in the least, but I don't think OP should get the impression that she'll ever have a commute that is under an hour taking Metro from there to L'Enfant. Maybe not a whole lot more than an hour if she lives/works very close to each end, but I think it's safe to say not under an hour.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:06 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
I would take a look at taking VRE. Kings Park neighborhood or anything near Burke Center

Old 06-21-2014, 04:54 PM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
West Springfield (22152) would be an excellent option. Very close to the VRE and metro. Excellent schools and beautiful older neighborhoods. Good variety of single family homes and townhouses. Knowing your budget would definitely help us narrow down your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia