Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times

Advertisements

If I cared to see the fireworks, I would go down Franklin Street in Alexandria to the waterfront and park in the neighborhood and walk down to the river and see them there. Great view and easy to get in and out. That's what I did for New Year's Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Here goes a great guide that I found for fireworks in NoVA:

Fourth of July fireworks set to light up the skies around Northern Virginia - INSIDENOVA.COM: Headlines

Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
We've gone down to the Washington Monument the past few years as there's no where else that really compares. If you know where to park you can get out in pretty decent time. I don't recommend the metro with the size of the crowds.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 PM

21 posts, read 51,017 times
This year we went into DC for the first time. Amazing, Amazing show!! Couldn't deal with the traffic so we spent a night in a hotel.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talentous View Post
This year we went into DC for the first time. Amazing, Amazing show!! Couldn't deal with the traffic so we spent a night in a hotel.
Now that you've seen Independence Day fireworks in DC, you have now been spoiled for all other fireworks displays. The next time you see fireworks anywhere else, everyone around you will be ooohing and aaaahing at how "amazing" they are, and you'll sigh and quietly wish you were watching the fireworks over the Washington Monument.

You have been warned.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:38 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
New location this year, the on ramp outside of Iwo Jima. The original plan was to go into iwo jima, but the security check was an hour + wait. I am actually glad we stayed outside of the area. The view was great and we didn't have to leave single file when it was done.

Walked over to Sushi Rock, grabbed some post-fireworks tuna rolls and some drinks, waited out the metro crowds til 11, got home without a single hiccup.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Now that you've seen Independence Day fireworks in DC, you have now been spoiled for all other fireworks displays. The next time you see fireworks anywhere else, everyone around you will be ooohing and aaaahing at how "amazing" they are, and you'll sigh and quietly wish you were watching the fireworks over the Washington Monument.

You have been warned.
+1000

We watched the Washington Monument fireworks from our boat for about 30 years. I'll never forget the 1976 BiCentennial display....the best ever before (or since)! In addition to the usual launching spots, they anchored barges in the River and launched from there too. It seemed to go on forever!

We no longer dock the boat in DC since we built our summer place on the Eastern Shore (free dockage was part of the deal!)....and it's just too far to steam all the way to DC just for fireworks (well over 100 miles each way and that's a lot of diesel!). Plus there are several fireworks displays in the mid-Bay area.

Soooo, we opted for the fireworks display (and big band concert) at St. Michael's last night (most of the Bay displays were on the 5th for some reason). It's a long drive down to the Shore, so the wife and I headed up to Annapolis yesterday morning to pick up our 15 guests....and then across the Bay to St Michael's. Poked around the Maritime Museum (I love that place!) and ate at the Crab Claw. The fireworks were decent, not Monument quality, but decent. The gorgeous setting and the concert made up for it!

Just got home an hour ago....an A-Plus weekend!

Only sour note: my (only three year old!) Furuno radar quit late last night coming across the Bay taking our guests back to Annapolis. It was a clear night so no biggie, except now I have to call the radar repair man ($$$)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia