U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 AM

4,826 posts, read 2,877,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Not only have I never been attacked myself, but I've never seen anyone else attacked either the countless times I've biked, ridden the 38B, walked up Wilson Boulevard between Rosslyn and Virginia Square.
Me either and I do think the Virginia Square area is one of the safest places I have ever been. I would just like to point out that people who attack people generally try to conceal it unless they are trying to make some kind of point. So I am not surprised you have never seen any kind of violent crime in Arlington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I also read the crime blotter. And I have petite female friends that have never had a problem.

In fact, I would say that the Court House area might have the fewest homeless people out of all the North Arlington neighborhoods. Ballston might have the most or it's tied with Rosslyn and that is 2 miles from Court House. There aren't a ton of wealthy office workers in Court House to the extent there are in Rosslyn and Ballston.
Is the shelter open yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 07:13 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,685,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Me either and I do think the Virginia Square area is one of the safest places I have ever been. I would just like to point out that people who attack people generally try to conceal it unless they are trying to make some kind of point. So I am not surprised you have never seen any kind of violent crime in Arlington.
I read the crime blotter. You are much more likely to be robbed in DC. I don't think there's been a robbery in Arlington in the last two weeks which is unheard of in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Glad to hear that. I do think the risk increases the later at night one is out on foot, especially alone. And obviously, if you're a large man or a female with a CCW or black belt in krav maga, you may feel quite confident even then. I was accosted at knifepoint by a homeless guy once (in Old Town) but managed to extricate myself from the situation. Yet I lived in NE DC in 2001-'02 and had no such problems. I also had a fairly persistent homeless guy approach the group of three I was in while walking from the Verizon Center one quiet weekend morning. The scariest incident I ever had was outside the 930 Club, when I left mid-show to drop off our coats in our car parked on the side street, and a couple of guys tried to accost me.

I've lived almost on top of the Ballston and Metro and at points nearby, and I've walked all over the R-B corridor. I do think Ballston seems to have more crime than most of the other Metro stations. Not sure why that is. The dilapidated mall doesn't help. There is one small low-income area (Buckingham) nearby, which has been the site of the occasional violent crime.
Yeah, some homeless are more aggressive than others. I don't know what it is about Philly but their homeless seemed super aggressive. Maybe they're all strung out on heroin since Philly is the heroin capital. I don't know if I'm imagining it but the homeless in general in Arlington seem to be way less aggressive than DC homeless. I've never really seen a homeless person yell at someone like I often see in DC, for example.

Honestly though, Chinatown and the U street area are way sketchier than North Arlington is in my opinion. There are some parts of DC like parts of Capitol Hill or Shaw where I feel like I need to watch my back. I never worry about that in Arlington.

Yeah, I live very close to Pershing & N Glebe. I wish they would tear down that shopping center. All kinds of crap from that area spills over into my neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Criminals are looking for victims that will offer little to no resistance. My issue is not with myself being harassed, robbed or raped. I am big enough that I discourage, not by my overall bad asseness, but because I am probably more of a hassle than waiting 5 minutes for a lady with an infant or an elderly man with a walker. I assume it is the same for you.

How about public urination? You think you would want to buy the house or condo with this nice smell of ripe urine wafting at the entrance to the open house on a hot august day?

Also do you think that people who are not in law enforcement have your same view of the connection of homeless people hanging around and safety? I agree with you, I have rarely had any problem with a homeless person and never anything serious or what I would consider a safety issue. But that does not mean that I think it would help my property value to have 10 homeless people hanging out a block away from my house.

People judge on looks and often they are wrong and sometimes that judgement gets them in trouble. In your time in law enforcement would you say that a lot of the violent offenders looked the part of what people expect? Were they the big guys looking all rough or maybe the smaller guys that looked like no problem?
I'm not saying I'd want to live near one but I am saying they are not the hotbed of crime some might think. I think the difference in homeless shelters in a city like DC compared to PW, Arl, FX or any local suburb is probably quite amazing. In a city like DC they have some serious issues while here in the burbs they are more tightly controlled. You don't come in high as a kite and expect 3 hots and a cot. You will be turned away. In DC they'll likely give you a suite if you come in stoned or drunk.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 PM

318 posts, read 286,666 times
Don't forget that the homeless enjoy those million dollar parks and urinating on your kids playground equipment.

I am just going to leave this right here, machete the real life movie
Derrick Sutherland sentenced to life in machete attack in Arlington - The Washington Post

Old 07-07-2015, 05:41 AM

4,826 posts, read 2,877,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm not saying I'd want to live near one but I am saying they are not the hotbed of crime some might think. I think the difference in homeless shelters in a city like DC compared to PW, Arl, FX or any local suburb is probably quite amazing. In a city like DC they have some serious issues while here in the burbs they are more tightly controlled. You don't come in high as a kite and expect 3 hots and a cot. You will be turned away. In DC they'll likely give you a suite if you come in stoned or drunk.
But this is the issue. The people who live near the shelter purchased before the shelter and now have a shelter going up near where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or