Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times

Advertisements

According to a AAA study, Northern VA drivers account for only 13% of the accidents in the DC area, MD drivers 33% and DC drivers 37%. No surprise to me.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/traffic/2...n-dc/11892141/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
That's in DC, not the DC area.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
According to a AAA study, Northern VA drivers account for only 13% of the accidents in the DC area, MD drivers 33% and DC drivers 37%. No surprise to me.

Who are the worst drivers in the DC area?
The article says "Virginia" not "Northern Virginia". So we're talking about an entire State of people with a huge percentage who never enter D.C. And it talks about drivers in D.C. It's no surprise that the majority of collisions in D.C. are caused by . . . hmmm, let's see . .. . it's own residents?

My guess is that most Virginia residents who enter D.C. (probably there for work) either commute via metro or car pool in, thus lessening a chance of a collision.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
technicalities, but it's basically what we all suspected all along

Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
They are referring to northern va i am sure but are watering down the statistics by including the whole state.
DC / MD drivers are definitly the worst so not surprised.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM

110 posts, read 245,981 times
Quote:
technicalities, but it's basically what we all suspected all along
I don't know what you all suspected, but my experience is that NOVA has the worst drivers I've ever seen in any part of the country. And I've lived in quite a few places.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
They're including only the accidents in DC itself categorized by the license plate state of the drivers.

It doesn't really mean anything to me - you would expect a majority of drivers in DC to have DC plates, and there are many people living in VA with Maryland tags to avoid the car tax. So I see very little value in this study.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM

203 posts, read 412,612 times
Exclamation FYI, "DC" the City is only a small part of the "DC Area"

WUSA's story was NOT about traffic safety in the "DC Area" ... their article only included statistics (and AAA's analysis thereof) pertaining to both raw numbers of traffic accidents that occurred within the confines of our Nation's Capital (i.e., within the borders of Washington DC ONLY, and nowhere else) during each of the past three calendar years AND the percentages of drivers involved in said accidents who held Drivers Licenses in DC, MD, or VA in each year. The article made NO mention of any accidents that may have occurred in the DC suburbs, because the statistics were compiled by Howard University students, who probably don't care much about the 'burbs (or maybe their research assignment didn't include the 'burbs).

Although the WUSA article is written clearly and precise with respect to all that, apparently Yamota (the OP) may have misunderstood.

Quote:

Who are the worst drivers in the DC area?
Although the statistics shown in the article don't indicate that NOVA drivers in general are significantly superior to DC or MD drivers (although I really do think we probably are), there are logical reasons why fewer NOVA drivers tend to get involved in accidents in DC than do drivers in DC from either DC or MD.

More Marylanders drive around DC on a regular basis than Virginians. More Marylanders who drive work in DC than do Virginians. And while there are plenty of roads that run between DC and MD, the only way a Virginia driver can get into DC is over a bridge (and most Virginians probably don't want to swim across the Potomac).

Most Virginians who work in DC ride public transportation, just to not be "drivers" in DC.

Most Northern Virginians don't even like to drive in DC, except maybe for a quick shopping trip to one of those cheap liquor stores in Georgetown, followed by an even quicker trip back across the Potomac.

Virginians' relatively high degree of competence as drivers can be shown by the fact that auto insurance rates are substantially lower in VA than they are in either DC or MD, for any class of drivers. Anybody got any doubts about that? Check with any insurance agent.

Drive safely, y'all,
Dan

Old 07-02-2014, 04:00 PM

203 posts, read 412,612 times
Angry WUSA's journalism isn't intentionally misleading ...

WUSA's journalism isn't intentionally misleading ... it's just "sloppy". Maybe "imprecise" and "inaccurate" are better adjectives for it.

After posting my last comment on this thread, I went back and checked out WUSA's article again.

The subject line didn't have a thing to do with the text of the article, because the AAA study didn't have a thing to do with "drivers in the DC area." The study was about drivers "in DC" ... which could tend to cause confusion for almost anyone.

Now I remember why I seldom watch WUSA news anymore.

Dan

Old 07-02-2014, 04:20 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
I think drivers in the DC area in general drive crazy. I think the insane and endless traffic gets to pretty much everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: