Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:36 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times

Advertisements

im curious if there any drivers out there in the nova area who can give me a glimpse on how it is? I know here in Pittsburgh its really useful and I see some drivers making 500+ a week.

also if anyone has used it and would be able to give me some feedback on the services there. ive used it here in PA and I enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
I dont know from a driver's perspective, but as a customer, I am very pleased with Uber. I can bet you they do really good business around here.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Uber and Lyft working on becoming legal in Virginia - The Washington Post

Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I had never heard of this before so I looked at their website and read a bit more online. I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is. From what I can tell it's basically a taxi service (but not really) that utilizes higher end vehicles?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:31 PM

that's pretty much going on everywhere worldwide, atm. but that's not what I asked really because they'll continue to work.

I always wondered since here in Pittsburgh, the yellow cab service is downright non existent. imagine if yellow, red,white top only did runs to dulles or Reagan? and never to the suburbs? another difference here is the use of jitneys. uber and lyft are essentially a high tech version of jitneys which the govt is fighting, so I was curious as to how received the services were in the DC area?

I know here in Pittsburgh ive used them to get home quickly.no issues really.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I had never heard of this before so I looked at their website and read a bit more online. I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is. From what I can tell it's basically a taxi service (but not really) that utilizes higher end vehicles?
People drive their own cars as essentially unlicensed taxis, although a little more "upscale." Some Uber drivers drive leased vehicles as well. It is nice in that they have to take you to your destination (compared to a dc taxis that are suddenly "broken" when you want to go into VA), but some Uber people may need a little guidance on what route to take.

Calling an Uber can be super convenient compared to hunting down or ordering a taxi and it certainly has made regular taxis more behaved so I am thankful for that as well.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Arlington is now having the police fine Uber/Lyft drivers when they pull them over for something else.

I've never taken it, but I have mixed feelings. On one hand, quality of traditional cab service is widely inconsistent. Riders seem to like these new competitors, and it seems to be filling a demand while earning good money for others.

OTOH, there is something to be said for having a record of who exactly is driving people around for money. I gather the likelihood of a serial killer picking people up is low, since every ride is documented by at least two smartphones. But one of these days, some driver will be drunk or texting, someone will get killed, and then we'll ask why this wasn't regulated at all.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Arlington is now having the police fine Uber/Lyft drivers when they pull them over for something else.

I've never taken it, but I have mixed feelings. On one hand, quality of traditional cab service is widely inconsistent. Riders seem to like these new competitors, and it seems to be filling a demand while earning good money for others.

OTOH, there is something to be said for having a record of who exactly is driving people around for money. I gather the likelihood of a serial killer picking people up is low, since every ride is documented by at least two smartphones. But one of these days, some driver will be drunk or texting, someone will get killed, and then we'll ask why this wasn't regulated at all.

they screen people quite a bit though.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
they screen people quite a bit though.
Wow, you would not know that to read the news articles and comments by public officials. They make it sound like Jeffrey Dahmer could suddenly tweet that he's driving past Clarendon, has a seat available--and voila, Uber transaction completed.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:18 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Not sure about screening - they are looking for folks constantly on Craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia