Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:16 PM

29 posts, read 58,993 times

Advertisements

We're currently renting in Alexandria and my husband works near the White House. We just started talking with banks and it looks like our budget is going to be around $275k for two bedrooms. Are there any condo buildings within an hour's commute by transit that are non-smoking? I have asthma and a young child at risk for developing it (lots of family history), so I need to be careful about secondhand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
You can tell your realtor that one of your criteria is a non-smoking building. Also let him/her know that you won't even want to look at a building that allows smoking.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
That budget isn't doable IMO.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That budget isn't doable IMO.
There are plenty of condos under $275k. I'm just asking if anyone knows of buildings that are non-smoking.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You can tell your realtor that one of your criteria is a non-smoking building. Also let him/her know that you won't even want to look at a building that allows smoking.
That's good advice, thank you!

Old 06-19-2019, 09:11 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,740 times
cant say I've ever come across non smoking language in condo docs. I'd do the legwork and start calling management company offices to ask, as I wouldn't want to put that on an agent, if you're working with one, to confirm and guarantee. I definitely wouldn't want to wait to get under contract and review the docs to confirm, as you'd be wasting time and possibly money on a home inspection.

*Don't assume you'll be able to see the condo docs prior to going under contract, they most times are not uploaded online and easily available (without paying $200+ for them)

Old 06-20-2019, 08:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,614 times
The entire building being smoke free, including inside the units? Extremely unlikely. Here's an article from last year about the first building in arlington to do it (and it still grandfathered in current residents anyway)

https://www.arlnow.com/2018/03/06/as...o-ban-smoking/

No smoking in common areas should be much easier to find. I'd focus on that.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The entire building being smoke free, including inside the units? Extremely unlikely. Here's an article from last year about the first building in arlington to do it (and it still grandfathered in current residents anyway)

https://www.arlnow.com/2018/03/06/as...o-ban-smoking/

No smoking in common areas should be much easier to find. I'd focus on that.
Yeah, I've seen that article and was hoping there were buildings in other counties/cities that had made similar moves. My friend has a condo that always smells like smoke because of her neighbor, and I don't want to end up in that situation. Judging from the units currently available in our building, our rent is going to go up at least $300 this winter. I was hoping we could buy instead of being priced out of this building into another (again), but it's looking like we can only afford a non-condo in Woodbridge or Manassas.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:47 AM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Is your current building smoke-free? If so, consider staying for now. We rent in a smoke-free building.

As for your rent going up, if you want to stay there for the time being, here's some advice --- Keep an eye on their website to see what is currently available. You may be surprised to find that one that's the same model as your current place may be advertising for less rent that your place. If there is nearby competition for tenants, these buildings sometimes get in rent wars.

If you see a place in your building for less and it's the same model as yours, don't hesitate to talk to someone in your rental office about it.

The link posted in this thread makes a good point about older condos that allow smoking will end up attracting more smokers.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Is your current building smoke-free? If so, consider staying for now. We rent in a smoke-free building.

As for your rent going up, if you want to stay there for the time being, here's some advice --- Keep an eye on their website to see what is currently available. You may be surprised to find that one that's the same model as your current place may be advertising for less rent that your place. If there is nearby competition for tenants, these buildings sometimes get in rent wars.

If you see a place in your building for less and it's the same model as yours, don't hesitate to talk to someone in your rental office about it.

The link posted in this thread makes a good point about older condos that allow smoking will end up attracting more smokers.
Right now the unit directly below ours is listed for $300 more than we currently pay in rent. I'll keep an eye out. Our lease is up in January.

Our building is completely smoke free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia