Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times

Advertisements

A better argument (which I don't necessarily agree with) is that LE officers should have an actual suspicion of some crime before requiring someone to surrender his or her time and (however briefly) liberty of movement.

I'm weird in that I have no problem at all with DUI spot checks in the wee hours of the morning; if you drive around at 3AM, you're far safer with such spot checks, because many of the people on the road with you are probably drunk. Yet making folks stop and wait just to show their license bothers me on some level. I like most cops (and looked into becoming one myself at one point). I realize they have a very hard, dangerous job. And that they themselves might rather not be doing these checks. But I think there should be something more than the prospect of an expired license on the line for someone to be stopped who isn't behaving suspiciously.

I mean, isn't someone with an expired license probably doing something else illegal that should be spotted first? Weaving around, not wearing their seatbelt, not displaying the right stickers? Seems like using the automated electronic plate scanners and plain old being observant should detect a lot of these people.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-09-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhyphy View Post
The Constitution is a set of laws. It's majority interpretations, while it may be matters of opinions to you, are law.
Legislators create the laws. At that point, it defines what is legal and what is illegal. Citizens may oppose the laws and file suits opposing them. The "opinion" of the courts determine whether these laws are actually constitutional. It happens in that order.

So, something is legal until challenged by the court, where it may be declared illegal, based on the constitution. And then, ten years later, the same things can be challenged again, and a different court, of a different "opinion", can make a different interpretation.

I agree that the court determines the legality of an issue, and once it rules, it is law. But, it is all based on their opinion on their interpretation and opinion of the Constitution. And for each ruling, they issue the dissenting opinion on the case. So, it is all opinion, even if that opinion dictates the law.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
It is possible that the police were stopping all cars and checking licenses because they were actually on the lookout for someone. It would be "easy" way to check all cars without alarming the public.....
I had this same thought too.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
A better argument (which I don't necessarily agree with) is that LE officers should have an actual suspicion of some crime before requiring someone to surrender his or her time and (however briefly) liberty of movement.

I'm weird in that I have no problem at all with DUI spot checks in the wee hours of the morning; if you drive around at 3AM, you're far safer with such spot checks, because many of the people on the road with you are probably drunk. Yet making folks stop and wait just to show their license bothers me on some level. I like most cops (and looked into becoming one myself at one point). I realize they have a very hard, dangerous job. And that they themselves might rather not be doing these checks. But I think there should be something more than the prospect of an expired license on the line for someone to be stopped who isn't behaving suspiciously.

I mean, isn't someone with an expired license probably doing something else illegal that should be spotted first? Weaving around, not wearing their seatbelt, not displaying the right stickers? Seems like using the automated electronic plate scanners and plain old being observant should detect a lot of these people.
Kind of like a Nazi asking to "see your papers".

Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 AM

163 posts, read 314,719 times
I've seen this in DC and in MD before. One time in DC they decided to do it on a Friday before a three day weekend and the traffic was at a standstill until they came to their senses. I was caught-up in a "seat-belt check" in Georgetown and they tried to ticket me for operating w/o a belt. Since they asked me to put it in park and find my reg/ins cards, I removed my belt to reach the glove box and they said I should have kept it on because the engine was running. I called for the sgt and he ripped it up.

It seems like a money grab to me. Looking for people with expired licenses, tags or inspection is easy cash especially after a long holiday week. Think of it as a "solution" looking for a problem.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a round-up of illegal immigrants, where are they going to send them?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:59 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Before I lived in Virginia, I had this happen to me... maybe 15 years ago in the Hampton Roads area. I handed them my out of state license, they smiled and wished me a good day. The passenger with me told me they do it all the time. I just figure they are doing a spot check for unlicensed drivers. It might seem odd, but don't the do the same with fishing licenses and other such things too?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a round-up of illegal immigrants, where are they going to send them?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
The only time I have ever seen this was when they were hunting for the Sniper.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 PM

25 posts, read 87,623 times
I really love the jailhouse lawyers who spew their misinformation about their 4th amendment rights and what is or isn't constitutional. Do you realize that the police are attempting to enforce the laws that all drivers are supposed to adhere to? Namely, be licensed, insured and drive in a safe manner. Those who ignore these simple laws are often also ignoring the law in general. Wouldn't you appreciate the officer who ticketed and got the unlicensed, uninsured driver off the road before they ran into you or a loved one and left the scene of an accident? Do you like paying increased premiums for uninsured motorists? Have you ever had to deal with your insurance company to pay medical bills and replacement costs for a vehicle after some deadbeat ran into your car and left the scene or simply stood there and said "I don't have insurance"? Maybe thank an officer next time for doing his job and keeping you safe instead of cursing them for slowing you down for a few minutes.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,617 times
I saw this happening this morning in Sterling on Church Rd. One cop was walking (motorcycle was parked) and pointing at cars to pull over. Not all of them, and certainly couldn't have been every third or fifth or whatever because he was alone (when I saw him), so he couldn't keep track of cars going by while he was talking to one he had pulled over. Not sure what was going on. Glad I was going in the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia