U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 05:38 AM

14 posts, read 80,198 times

Advertisements

Looking at a TH in Manchester Lakes and would appreciate any opinions on the area from anyone who lives there...or knows the area...thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:56 AM

798 posts, read 2,479,126 times
We looked around that area this past summer and decided on something not too far from there. The area seemed nice and conviently located.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Some people may not recognize it from just the community name. There are hundreds of those, very few of which make it into the popular lexicon. Now, if you'd said that it's right across the street from Kingstowne and a little east of the Franconia-Springfield Metro station, more people might have said, oh heck, I know that area, my aunt lives there or I live there or whatever. Anyway, I don't live there, but I do get through that area and it's quite nice. Lots of young families. Lots of nearby amenities. The usual traffic problems. Where would you be moving from, by the way? Somewhere else in the DC area, or just somewhere else? Kids? Job location?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
Very nice community in a great area, very convenient to everything including the Metro. Sounds like you're making a good choice in terms of the neighborhood. However, if you have children, be aware that it is within the boundaries of Franconia Elementary, which has a year-round schedule rather than the standard September-June schedule. (Which is fine with some people, but wouldn't want anyone to be caught unaware.)

Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM

798 posts, read 2,479,126 times
I just remembered something about the TH we liked in Manchester Lakes. We actually went back and looked at it a second time because we did like it and the area very much but if I remember correctly, there is a another neighborhood with Manchester Lakes (maybe Manchester Parke or something along those lines) and one has the ammenities and one does not. I am sorry I don't remember the particulars because we were not especially looking for a neighborhood pool but someone we spoke to purchased their home under the mistaken impression that they had a neighborhood pool. We bought about 2 miles away from there though and could not be happier with the area.... Well, I could be if there was less traffic..

Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 AM

14 posts, read 80,198 times
Quote:
Some people may not recognize it from just the community name. There are hundreds of those, very few of which make it into the popular lexicon. Now, if you'd said that it's right across the street from Kingstowne and a little east of the Franconia-Springfield Metro station, more people might have said, oh heck, I know that area, my aunt lives there or I live there or whatever.
Good advice - I should have thought of that first - thanks for bringing it to my attention...I will be working in DC and have a wife and 3 month old...so no worries about elementary right now, but we would homeschool anyhow...coming from an overseas posting (not military)....

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information...appreciated..

Old 12-21-2007, 06:25 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
Virginia is a homeschool-friendly state.

Here's the website for the Manchester Lakes Community Association, along with a list of the included neighborhoods, so that might answer any questions about the amenities. (That was a good point, about verifying.)

Ooops, I forgot the link, now I need to edit:

http://www.manchesterlakes.org/

Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 PM

142 posts, read 518,118 times
Hey there, seems alot of people already responded lol. I live in Kingstowne behind the towne center, and I have to say it's a very nice area with a mix of families, young professionals, old people, etc. while being convenient to all the major commuter routes and shopping.

The only negatives I would like to point out is that vandalism has become a problem in the area though it used to not be, with about 5-6 crimes in my close-knit neighborhood of $500+ townhomes the last few months, and if you do plan to stay long, the schools might not be the best.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,529 times
Default Manchester Lakes

I've lived here for about 6 months. Quiet. It is amazingly convenient to everything and almost all commuter routes. Seriously, everything you could possibly need is located within three miles. Good mix of people. Haven't had any problems with vandalism. The only problem I've had is that the fitness center isn't open hours that I'm home (I commute in to DC). But there is a great gym a mile away (maybe closer depending on which part of Manchester Lakes you live in) that opens at 5am.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,801 times
I just began renting a condo half a mile, if that, from Manchester Lakes and feel very comfortable and safe here. Great neighbors, who actually leave their doors open and a op away from the metro. Someone mentioned a great gym a mile away...anyone know which one that is? I love the walking trails around here but am thinking ahead to the winters, and I miss my yoga classes. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia