U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,861,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfos View Post
Thanks! So it seems to be mixed.... I've heard Verizon adds random charges to the bill and their customer service is horrendous with long hold times?

I will have my own modem and router... does wireless work great with either of these 2 companies?
Shouldn't believe everything you hear. I've had FIOS for a few years now. No add ons and no issues with customer support. The installer even gave me his cell number so I could call him if we needed any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:04 PM

83 posts, read 101,464 times
Will echo the positive thoughts on FIOS. The reliability is outstanding, and you'll likely get faster speed than you pay for due to network upgrades. Have had excellent service for 7 years now (hard to believe!).

Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 PM

301 posts, read 586,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfos View Post
Thanks! So it seems to be mixed.... I've heard Verizon adds random charges to the bill and their customer service is horrendous with long hold times?

I will have my own modem and router... does wireless work great with either of these 2 companies?
Yes, mine works great with Cox. I use Cox's modem but I have my own wireless router (Airport Express). I'm really surprised about the negative Cox reviews b/c their service here where I live (Merrifield area) really is excellent.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 6,813 times
I have had fios for several years now and never had any issues with their service

Old 07-20-2014, 05:31 PM

320 posts, read 613,593 times
We also have FIOS for the past two years and it has been fine

Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM

8,558 posts, read 12,640,453 times
FIOS definitely! We cannot get it where we live now and miss it.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM

766 posts, read 849,826 times
Pretty funny that we have a widespread fios outage in the area today after this thread...

First outage in years that I remember, though.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 PM

45 posts, read 63,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
Pretty funny that we have a widespread fios outage in the area today after this thread...

First outage in years that I remember, though.
I was also about to respond about how great our FIOS has been, but since about 5:00 PM this evening our connection has gone to heck. I think this is the first time we've had an outage -- excepting power problems, of course -- since we started with FIOS in 2008. Oh well -- hopefully things are back to normal tomorrow morning so I can work from home ...

Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 AM

269 posts, read 592,232 times
Default Verizon? No. Fios? Yes.

The comparison of Cox vs Fios is no-brainer. This is not an apple-to-orange comparison. Of course go for Fios if available---not because Verizon is a great company but because fiber optics-based telecommunication is superior and offers so much more than conventional one, including superior reliability of the network.

Having said that, I have to say that I am not a Verizon fan. Since day 1 switching to Fios, one thing after another, I have been having bad customer service experience with them. I thought cable companies (Cox, TWC, WOW, etc) were in general bad in customer service, but after all, Verizon is just one of them.

The biggest problem is ... their customer service phone line is really hard to get through, even worse than my previous experiences with other cable companies.

Also, whenever there is an outage, I wish that they somehow let us know. Then we wouldn't have to wonder and desperately look for reasons on our end. The my FIOS app or my account in the website supposedly shows the outage notification, but it doesn't work. Yesterday was particularly bad.

People say "I've never had an issue with the network" They are usually right, but that's because they are based on the superior technology. But the superior technology often fails for a number of reasons, then it becomes the job of people that support the technology. I don't know Verizon is any better than other companies.

Particularly this could become worse as they gain more market share. Recently their customer base has increased dramatically as they expand the coverage, but I don't know if they do a good job of keeping up the quality of the support team.

My contract ends in a year. I will definitely switch back to Cable or some other option available at that time. One negative thing about FIOS that most people would agree even now is the higher price. New technology costs more. I understand. But as it becomes more available, the price usually goes down. However, it doesn't go down if there is no healthy competition. I will find a way to support one of the competitors.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,649,710 times
Fios customer service is dreadful. They have a good internet product but their tv can be pretty annoying. The menu freezes sometimes when navigating. PPV for some reason freezes ALOT. I rarely order PPV from them because I hate giving them the $5-6 considering how much they already charge me but on the few occasions I have it seems like we always have to restart the set top box to get it to work. I think they limit the bandwidth coming through for Netflix, so streaming isn't always great quality. They've been trying to sell me a more expensive router, so that may help, but for as much as I pay them I would think I'd already get fast wireless.

They're extremely sneaky with their billing too. My biggest gripe with them was that I ordered NFL Redzone a couple years ago. I did not order it the next year, but they charged me anyways. I noticed this in late Sept about a month into the football season. Apparently when you order it you're automatically enrolled every year going forward. I complained that I had no idea, and they said they had sent me an email about it. Well I never got it. I asked them to cancel the service and credit it back to me since I had no idea it was activated and hadn't been watching it, and they said they couldn't(of course you can!). I complained further, and eventually gave up on the credit and just asked them to cancel the service so I wouldn't be billed anymore(they bill it monthly). She said she would. I continued to be billed and called back. They said that she had cancelled the channel, but the billing had to continue for the whole football season because they couldn't cancel that once it starts(of course you can!). So I said fine them activate the channel again, if I'm going to be billed for it. He said, oh I'm sorry to activate the channel I'll have to charge you again. Then you'll have to call back in a month when it shows up on your account as double billing, and they'll remove it. I'll put a note on your account. Why can't you just remove the double billing yourself without me having to call back? I'm sorry sir you'll have to call back then, but I'll put a note on your account. In the end I said please permanently cancel the auto enrollment for NFL Redzone for me so this doesn't happen next year. Oh we can't cancel that now, you have to wait until next summer and cancel it then. Basically, they suck at customer service. And I think they know it, they just care more about maximizing their revenue.

Essentially that ^ is why I hate them. The minor annoyances are minor but that episode really set me off. I'm seriously considering switching, but I feel strongly that every cable company has major issues these days. I would love to cut the cord completely but I enjoy sports too much. Eventually I think I will not be a Fios customer anymore. Comcast is supposedly going to be available in my area soon, I think I'll check them out.

Last edited by FCNova; 07-21-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia