Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:32 PM

222 posts, read 238,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The rules of the W&OD Trail:

-When on the trail, please travel in the right lane only, and pass on the left.
-Give an audible warning when passing.
-Move off the trail when stopped.
-Unless otherwise posted, pedestrians have the right of way.
-Travel at speeds that are safe and appropriate to trail conditions and usage.
-Racing and competitive speed training are not allowed.

Rules are for all users. This area has lots of people who are uptight and high-and-mighty when they travel, whether by car, bike, or foot. It sounds like the woman who "educated" you about trail etiquette was rude and expressed her irritation at you. Or maybe she just thought she was being helpful; I don't know what tone she took with you. But are you going to create a post whenever a car driver flips you off or honks their horn at you?

When I ride, I give the audible warning not with the expectation that a pedestrian move more to the right or off the trail, although I hope they are already traveling in the right, just as the rules say. Many times people walk in groups all over the full width of the trail. It's still my responsibility as the passing person to take care when going around them, as they have right of way. It wouldn't stop me from feeling annoyed at people who are inconsiderate, though. When I'm on my bike and hear I'm being passed by a cyclist, I do move more to the right, out of consideration and safety.

Licensing cyclists isn't going to stop rude ones from berating you.
Thank you!

Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
So you started an account here to troll about cyclists. Congratulations. Off you go back to Fairfax Underground, tell them you did great! They will carry you on shoulders aloft.
Another pounding of the table. When neither facts not laws on your side, pound the table!

Are you really an engineer? Engineers work with facts, rules, laws not emotions. What did I say wrong about cyclists? Or you just calling me troll because I point out how wrong your buddy was?

Do you even know what troll means? Trolling with facts or rules? Now that's the first.

Last edited by kieplangdu; 07-19-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Strolling or not, OP did have some valid point in his first paragraph regarding bicyclists (not all but many) disobeying traffic signs.

Secondly, I really wish these great trail etiquettes could extend to the rest of the roads here.
When do you call somebody troll? When you can't dispute the facts.

Rule of the roads are pretty much the same on the trail, road or even at sea. Faster, nimbler, passer must make sure it's safe, have adequate room to pass and you must always obey traffic signal. It's moronic to think that pedestrians must give way to bicyclist so they can pass.

Last edited by kieplangdu; 07-19-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
This is why I race BMX, closed course competition in a controlled environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia