U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 11,238 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We currently live in Rockville and really love it. There are nice community centers that are managed by the city.They organize great summer camps, interesting field trips, volunteering opportunities for teens....
Unfortunately, we cannot afford buying a house here if we want to remain in a good neighborhood. The smallest townhouse here starts at 550K.

My son will be 13 by next summer. We are pretty sure that we will be purchasing a house in Ashburn ( not sure yet if it's going to be in the Broadlands, Brambleton, or the 20147 zip code area ).
I know that Ashburn area is safe and has nice schools.
I just have 2 concerns.
1) ethnic diversity
2) finding enough activities available for a teen within the city of Ashburn.

Regarding the ethnic diversity, we are spoiled in Rockville. My son is mixed ( European, North African, and West African). Do the teens in middle and high schools in Ashburn tend to mingle together regardless of their ethnic background?

Regarding the activities, does the city of Ashburn have an organized network of community centers? What do middle school students do during the summer? Are there enough private sports camps available in the city?
During the school year, do most middle school students belong to clubs in their schools? Are many involved in sports after school? Any volunteering opportunities for teens?

Also, according my research on the net, Briar Woods seems be more diverse than Stone Bridge.
I also heard about the school boundary issues in the 20148 area. Is the situation still unstable in that part of the county?

Any insight would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM

989 posts, read 2,464,740 times
In my experience, the kids of Ashburn are color blind. I have not detected any racial issues at all. There are kids of many different ethnic backgrounds and from what I can tell everyone gets along just fine.

There are no Montgomery County type community centers in Ashburn and no YMCA. Each neighborhood has their own community type center but some have more activities for the kids than others. There are quite a few summer camp options for middle schoolers ranging from sports specific camps, outdoor adventure type camps, trip camps, etc. Loudoun County Parks and Rec hosts a lot of camps- you can check out their website for a camp catalogue. I also know of many, many middle school kids who may do a camp or two but actually spend most of their summers hanging out at the pool and kicking around- those are the ones where one parent stays home.

The middle schools offer a range of after school activities but your kid needs to be proactive to join them- our experience has been that the parents aren't notified of the options and if the kid isn't paying attention they may miss out. You could circumvent this by visiting the school website frequently but personally I don't have the time to check all the time.

Sports are huge in Ashburn. HUGE. If you want your middle schooler playing football with AYFL, plan on spending the first week of August until school starts in five day per week, two hour long practices. Don't worry, though, they reduce it to three days a week, one and a half hour practices once school starts. (honestly as crazy as I may find that to be, it is a very well run program).

20148 south of Broadlands may lack some school zoning stability. Broadlands will most likely stay at Briar Woods but most of Brambleton will be attending the new Rock Ridge HS in Loudoun Valley Estates with pretty much a guarantee to be displaced again as the communities down there continue to grow. 20147 is very stable school boundary-wise (thanks to some recent school zoning decisions) since the older Ashburn neighborhoods have been built out for years.

I hope this answers your questions.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions. You've been more than helpful
I have a better idea now on the situation in Ashburn.
Once again, many thanks

Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,349,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilouta View Post
Hello,

We currently live in Rockville and really love it. There are nice community centers that are managed by the city.They organize great summer camps, interesting field trips, volunteering opportunities for teens....
Unfortunately, we cannot afford buying a house here if we want to remain in a good neighborhood. The smallest townhouse here starts at 550K.

My son will be 13 by next summer. We are pretty sure that we will be purchasing a house in Ashburn ( not sure yet if it's going to be in the Broadlands, Brambleton, or the 20147 zip code area ).
I know that Ashburn area is safe and has nice schools.
I just have 2 concerns.
1) ethnic diversity
2) finding enough activities available for a teen within the city of Ashburn.

Regarding the ethnic diversity, we are spoiled in Rockville. My son is mixed ( European, North African, and West African). Do the teens in middle and high schools in Ashburn tend to mingle together regardless of their ethnic background?

Regarding the activities, does the city of Ashburn have an organized network of community centers? What do middle school students do during the summer? Are there enough private sports camps available in the city?
During the school year, do most middle school students belong to clubs in their schools? Are many involved in sports after school? Any volunteering opportunities for teens?

Also, according my research on the net, Briar Woods seems be more diverse than Stone Bridge.
I also heard about the school boundary issues in the 20148 area. Is the situation still unstable in that part of the county?

Any insight would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your assistance
There are many things for kids to do during the summer. The county offers many camps both sports and academic. Also most the the larger neighborhoods have swim teams which I would highly recommend. Sports and academics are VERY competitive in this area and most kids are involved in one sport or another. There are 2 community centers not too far from Ashburn. Claude Moore in Sterling and Ida Lee in Leesburg both are a short 15min drive.

School boundaries have been in fluctuation lately. If you more into Broadlands you will go to Briar Woods with very little chance of it changing. Brambleton is either Briar Woods or the New school Rock Ridge. Some parts of 20147 go to Broad Run which is a good school but its much older than the other Ashburn area schools. You can't really go wrong with most Loudoun High Schools.

Make sure you look into any HOA's when considering a house. Some HOA's in this area are poorly run.

I would recommend buying in some of the larger developments here. With more homes your HOA fees tend to be less and when things like the mega snow storm a couple of years back happen the less likely you'll face a large special assessment to cover costs.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:34 AM

Thanks a lot for the practical tips. The only big subdivision that I am aware of for the time being is Ashburn Village.
I guess I have a lot of homework to do before making a decision. The nice thing about Ashburn is that the schools seem to be pretty consistent throughout the city.
I am highly encouraged

Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 AM

989 posts, read 2,464,740 times
The big HOA's in Ashburn are Ashburn Village, Ashburn Farm, Broadlands, Belmont Country Club (it's a gated community mostly and inside the gates recently got rezoned out of Stone Bridge HS into a high school being built in the Lansdowne community, which is officially a Leesburg address. Brambleton is also considered Ashburn I think. Those are the biggy HOA's.

I believe the 20148 zip code may extend most of the way down to route 50. By wary when looking- some of the new developments going in are more like Aldie in Ashburn in geographic area but can be called Ashburn due to the zip code. They are many, many miles from what is generally considered Ashburn and won't zone to the Ashburn schools.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 AM

Thank you for the valuable advice! I think that we will stick to older parts such Ashburn farm and Ashburn village. We need stability. Already my son is not looking forward to leaving all his friends from Rockville. He will adjust though!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,816,025 times
Where are you going to be working/commuting to?

Depending on that, living in Ashburn may not be the best option.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM

704 posts, read 1,425,881 times
As a Rockville resident for many decades, I too can attest to its many benefits. Out of curiosity, I ran a quickie search for single family homes currently on the market in Brambleton. They start in low $600s. Given this pricing, there are homes available in Rockville and other nearby zip codes, in respectable neighborhoods, at equivalent or pehaps just slightly higher pricing. Are you sure you are priced out of the Rockville area?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Yes, we are priced out in Rockville. It's hard to find a nice townhouse for 400k and with nice schools such as Richard Montgomery high. According to our online research, that should not be the case in Ashburn. Thanks for sharing your search though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or