Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you have already talked yourself out of this area. I think you can get what you're looking for, but need to compromise on the rural aspect. Frankly if my spouse worked 12 hours days, I would want a 15 minute commute. Why make his day 14 hours? If in fact, you really want a small town and be rural in the truest sense of the word, then no, absolutely stop looking in NoVA now.

I was curious and the air quality is actually much better Northern Virginia that is in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM

421 posts, read 556,173 times
Is it? I know dc metro area is ranked right behind houston.

I want a 5 minute commute for him. But that isnt reasonable for most places. I'm hoping the new job wouldn't cause him t9 have to work as much.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM

248 posts, read 721,891 times
you can go near ashburn.. you can find newer/upgraded homes, 3000+ sqft, 2 cars, etc.. but privacy with neighbors, am not sure because most houses there are near and next to each other..

around fallschurch/annadale with the easiest commute, you can find some houses near hummer ln.. in that neighborhood i've seen some secluded and nice houses..

found this: MLS# FX8406693
looks like this has most of what u asked:

Last edited by bluetruckguy; 07-25-2014 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: added a house

Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Look in Annendale, Vienna of Falls Church. You might like the Lake Barcroft area.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 AM

336 posts, read 377,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Is it? I know dc metro area is ranked right behind houston.

I want a 5 minute commute for him. But that isnt reasonable for most places. I'm hoping the new job wouldn't cause him t9 have to work as much.
Yes. More people in MD, VA, and DC use public transportation (metro, buses, shuttles, etc.), and these areas have more stringent vehicle emissions standards and/or testing than Texas.

Quote:
And we don't know how much his job is going to pay. If we wanted to stretch out current budget (the kids would have to go to public school, right now they are in private), we could do 800k. So I'm trying to think what is the magic number that would give us the quality of life we want.
The public schools in Northern Virginia are among the best in the country. Many public schools are better, even much better, than most private schools found elsewhere. Of course, some Northern Virginia schools are better than others. A significant percentage of Northern Virginia residents are highly educated, and they set high expectations for their schools. CNN Money ranked Arlington County as the most educated city in the country in 2006, with 35.7% of residents having held graduate degrees.

Quote:
Oh and privacy from neighbors...not absolute but where we live we are so close, and one side is a racist a-hole (we have an multiracial family). I am sooooooo done with having neighbors close enough to hear each-other talk all the time.
You are less likely to have such neighbors in Northern Virginia. The area is diverse, and multiracial families are relatively common. In fact, Virginia ranks #1 in the country in the number of black-white marriages, and most of those marriages are in Northern Virginia. The racial breakdown of the population of Northern Virginia (as defined by Wikipedia) is as follows:

55.41% White
16.30% Hispanic
11.28% Black
10.46% Asian
3.54% Other

There are very few areas of the country where you will find such a diverse mix of highly educated, upper income families. More than 50% of households have an annual income in excess of $50K, and approximately 35% of households have an annual income in excess of $75K. The closer you are to DC, the higher the percentage of households with incomes in excess of $75K. In many areas discussed on this forum, even in relatively diverse areas, median household income is $100,000 to $150,000. Six counties in Northern Virginia ranked among the twenty American counties with the highest median household income in 2006.

Last edited by VAGeek; 07-26-2014 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
The public schools in Northern Virginia are among the best in the country. Many public schools are better, even much better, than most private schools found elsewhere. Of course, some Northern Virginia schools are better than others. A significant percentage of Northern Virginia residents are highly educated, and they set high expectations for their schools. CNN Money ranked Arlington County as the most educated city in the country in 2006, with 35.7% of residents having held graduate degrees.
Both of our kids have learning disabilities, but are very bright even though not "typical". We found that public school was not willing or able to help our kids thrive, and all they were able to do was complain at me and punish them. We actually tried 3 different public elementary schools trying to find a fit. So, what makes a "good school" to me isn't high achieving, or good test scores or a competitive environment. Its forward thinking about all children's abilities, willingness to make accommodations and a whole child philosophy. I'm sure there are public schools out there like that, but I don't know any.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
You can get the kind of house you want and the kind of commute you want in Reston. Check out these:
Thanks for the links. Do you know the commute time from reston to falls church? There was lots about the community I read and liked.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Thanks for the links. Do you know the commute time from reston to falls church? There was lots about the community I read and liked.
With no traffic about 30 minutes - with traffic about 45.

I live in the South Lakes area of Reston, please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Um, LOUDOUN County, hello!

Search these zips. 20148, 20147. Google earth Dulles toll road. I'm in 20148. I work in Tyson's corner. At those hours that you mention, I'd say 90% of the time your husband's commute would be 95% cruise control. Takes me 30 minutes door door.

Biggest adjustment would be sticker shock on toll fees, because he'll want to use the greenway. Go into the budget with the expectation of $5,000 a year on tolls, and you'll be a-ok.

I wouldn't worry about racism here like in Texas. DC is a very diverse city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia