Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM

921 posts, read 1,130,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
And to that point. These same "PG people" could have been going to Arlington and committing crime there, much closer, much more wealthy. Where is that crime? 1 case in 10 years of a prince george's county person committing a crime in Arlington County using metro. The truth is Metro is terrible for criminals as its unreliable in terms of committing a crime. The only crime that comes from metro is in direct petty theft at the stations, not those leaving stations to commit crime, and even those are fairly limited except at specific locations in DC (much larger and harder to manage stations like L'Enfant).

Those who continue to spread the lie that crime follows metro are living in an alternate reality. Crime starts where there is poverty/high unemployment/poor economic mobility/poorly funded police. And for the most part crime stays in those areas because those components are what generates the crime and facilitates the crime.
Here we go again. No one's spreading any lies. If you pay attention to the topic of this thread, it is titled as a question, in which yourself & a few others are ignoring and continuously going off topic with your assumptions. To all fairness, as you've asked others to do in the past, can you please provide back-up for your "1 case in 10 years of a Prince George's County person committing a crime using metro" analysis. This would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm not participating in the argument, but I just wanted to point out that the Silver Line also goes to PG.
Great point!

Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,309,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Here we go again. No one's spreading any lies. If you pay attention to the topic of this thread, it is titled as a question, in which yourself & a few others are ignoring and continuously going off topic with your assumptions. To all fairness, as you've asked others to do in the past, can you please provide back-up for your "1 case in 10 years of a Prince George's County person committing a crime using metro" analysis. This would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Example of why the ole "just asking a question" trick is disingenuous

"Can eating tomatoes cause one to contract AIDs?"

The answer is no, the question is leading and purposefully provocative for the sake of fear mongering.

The only case I could find in researching was a singular car theft spree that was linked to some maryland youths using metro over 5 years ago. I'm not sure how one is supposed to prove the absence of something, perhaps your big brain can explain that one to me. I'll use an old adage of the troll crowd. Just google it.

If you find other examples, let me know. What I do know is crime statistics, those are readily available, and show Arlington is pretty darn safe... despite having been temptingly connected to Anacostia for decades now.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,700,879 times
TysonsEngineer and I have butted heads on this question before--but even I will state that the Silver Line is not going to bring more crime than what is already there. Why? Because Tysons Corner is already a nexus of human activity. Muggers and thieves want to go where there are lots of potential victims. Tysons has always had lots of people.

And of course tomatoes don't give you HIV; they give you herpes. Everybody knows that.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM

15,411 posts, read 25,741,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
A somewhat pedantic point, since no new actual track is opening in PG, just an additional designation of the same track and schedules people are already used to. Unlike in Tyson's, where there formerly was no track at all. Night and day in terms of application and difference to residents of the areas.
I'm not sure that it matters if it is sharing the track with another line, but the Silver line does serve PG. I don't see why they can't discuss it. I don't agree with their effort to say it will bring more crime to Tysons, but they do have an interest in the line, just like they would in the Blue, Green, Orange, or Yellow lines. By the way, that's relevant. If the Orange line didn't bring more crime to Vienna, or Springfield, or Huntington then why would they expect it to bring more to Tysons?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Example of why the ole "just asking a question" trick is disingenuous

"Can eating tomatoes cause one to contract AIDs?"

The answer is no, the question is leading and purposefully provocative for the sake of fear mongering.

The only case I could find in researching was a singular car theft spree that was linked to some maryland youths using metro over 5 years ago. I'm not sure how one is supposed to prove the absence of something, perhaps your big brain can explain that one to me. I'll use an old adage of the troll crowd. Just google it.

If you find other examples, let me know. What I do know is crime statistics, those are readily available, and show Arlington is pretty darn safe... despite having been temptingly connected to Anacostia for decades now.
That's still going around the whole point of showing proof of data as you expect others to do. Very irrelevant. Let's cease this additional episode of back and forth. Peace!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,519,576 times
It took all of 12 days for the Silver Line to have it's first signal problem at Reston.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,309,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It took all of 12 days for the Silver Line to have it's first signal problem at Reston.
A bit off topic, but yes it did. Annoying how infrastructure sometimes has issues. It will work out the kinks hopefully, although I dont put much hope behind anything constructed by Bechtel or Alstom

As far as the subject of this post. Still waiting to see all the supposed PG gangstas coming to take all my stuff. No crime spike. Just a bunch of happy suburbanites now able to get to their jobs if they want (and if it saves time for their particular case) by train. 30,000+ per day, not too shabby for only a couple weeks old. Not sure how many east of the river folks the OP was afraid of were included in the 30,000 but they were most likely doing what everyone else does after using metro, going to work, shopping, or living their life without any impact to the OPs.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,479,508 times
hey, springfield mall didn't turn ghetto overnight you know

Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,454,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
they're preparing for the ghettofication of Tyson's Mall, like what happened to Springfield mall
Quote:
Quote:
The most infamous crime that happened there, the abduction of the woman by two Woodbridge criminals who DROVE to the mall and abducted her in their CAR. IMalert and the other bozo know it.
Head shake.
well, yeah after they'd heard that a lot of their homies were coming in from DC and MD on the metro and committing crime at [Springfield] mall, they decided they wanted in on it
Quote:
hey, springfield mall didn't turn ghetto overnight you know
I mean, is this your thing - just continually try to relate everything to Springfield Mall, no matter the degree of relevance or dissimilarities?

You keep bringing up the same point, and ignoring all the numerous posts (which I cut out) that challenge or contradict your claims.

So far your thesis consists of, "Metro opened at Springfield Mall. Sprinfield Mall went downhill. Therefore, metro openings are bad." Except you haven't defended it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia