Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! This is my first post here.. I'm looking into buying our first house in Lovettsville (west of Leesburg), any input on the area? We want to buy a single family home somewhere "quiet" (Ashburn is loud IMO with the airport traffic), price is also a huge factor here. One of us stays at home most of the time and only commutes to Fairfaxt max twice a week (not during rush hour), the other commutes to Sterling every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 10:12 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
I look into Purceville. It's alot closer than Lovettesville. It's a nice small town but very close to Leesburg forall your shopping needs etc...

I would think Lovettesville to Fairfax would be over an hour. Lovettesville to Sterling 45-hour on good days.

I don't know what shopping they have there either.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I don't know much about Lovettsville except that it's only 10 miles from Lucketts. I pick the banjo there with my band regularly!

If you like bluegrass music or are just curious about it...cruise on over to the old schoolhouse...every Saturday night!

http://www.visitloudoun.org/events/event-details?id=53203 (broken link)

Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 AM

14 posts, read 55,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Hi everyone! This is my first post here.. I'm looking into buying our first house in Lovettsville (west of Leesburg), any input on the area? We want to buy a single family home somewhere "quiet" (Ashburn is loud IMO with the airport traffic), price is also a huge factor here. One of us stays at home most of the time and only commutes to Fairfaxt max twice a week (not during rush hour), the other commutes to Sterling every day.
I've lived in Lovettsville now for almost two years and it's not for me. I'd move back to Eastern Loudoun County in a hot second if the real estate market hadn't sunk so deep. Some of my neighbors really like it here, but many of us find that we are far too separated from many of the ordinary conveniences we once considered just a part of life. There's virtually no amenities here - a pizza place (some like it, some don't), a sandwich shop. A dumpy grocery store in Brunswick, MD just across the bridge. Purcellville has a bit more shopping, but it's 10-11 miles away. Takes shorter time to drive to Frederick, MD than to Leesburg. Housing prices are fantastic out this way right now. Builders have significantly lowered their pricing in an attempt to complete the communities. On a plus side, it is relatively quiet and the sky is full of stars at night. Always windy - a downer in winter but a plus in the hot days of summer. Drive around and really check it out before you buy property out here, because it is a long way to anywhere if you are a regular commuter or just enjoy a nice restaurant or movie from time to time. Ashburn, here I come!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
We looked into Lovettsville as an alternative for DH to commute to Ashburn. Way too long and not close enough to anything. Beautiful place but not for us.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 AM

12 posts, read 63,804 times
Default Town Center

I've read about a new Town Center going up in Lovettsville in the local paper (Leesburg Today), so that should provide some new retail offerings. I worked in Leesburg for two years and found Lovettsville to be a quiet little country town, so if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle, you'll find it there. Of course, they do have some issues going on there, notably the question of where the county will put up a new high school. Purcellville residents have been fighting its location in their town, and I hear the fight is now reaching Lovettsville, where residents may again be divided over the issue. So there is town/country politics, but that's true no matter where you go.

Oh, and since you are a EuroExpat, you'll likely enjoy the town's German roots; it was founded by German families in the 1700s and they have an authentic Oktoberfest celebration each fall.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 AM

[quote=GuamTubby;2995172
Oh, and since you are a EuroExpat, you'll likely enjoy the town's German roots; it was founded by German families in the 1700s and they have an authentic Oktoberfest celebration each fall.[/QUOTE]

Thanks gotta go check that out next fall.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:03 AM

We really looked into Lovettsville and I've visited the place many times. It is so beautiful but I know I wouldn't be able to take the drive. And since we're a small family (one kid, no more coming) it doesn't make sense to buy a big house in the country anyway (although those $300K new houses are attractive). So I'll just settle with my bi-weekly visits. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 PM

32 posts, read 83,086 times
Default LOVEttsville

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6196081-post7.html

The above link is my response to another Lovettsville thread...It may prove helpful. We LOVE it here! We were looking for something quiet like you, so you may love it too.

As for the commute--it is far, but my husband says every night that it is worth it to come home to this. I recommend avoiding rt. 9 during rush hours--I go 287 (berlin tpk) to Rt. 7 E (Harry Byrd HWY). It is faster and less stressful during rush hour--any other time, I don't mind rt. 9. Some people avoid it by going through Waterford--very pretty drive, but more winding roads and time consuming.

Best of luck with your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia