Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 PM

336 posts, read 591,589 times

Advertisements

Thai Restaurants
- Nava Thai (Wheaton, MD) for boat noodles. The best boat noodles in the DC area bar none.
- Thai Taste (Wheaton, MD). Tucked behind Hung Phat Asian groceries next to Nava Thai. Known for their noodle soup dishes and their pork-on-a-stick (moo-ping).
- Thai-By-Thai (Fairfax and Sterling) - need to order off their Thai menu.
- Sisters (Fairfax) - known for the dishes with fried pork belly.
- Bangkok 54

Taiwanese
- A&J (Annandale) for their small dishes and fried chicken
- Yen Café (Ashburn)

Chinese
- Hong Kong Palace (Falls Church) for Sichuan dishes. Chicken with stuffed peppers is one of their best dishes along with the cold beef appetizer
- Hong Kong Pearl (Falls Church). It is more of a Vietnamese-Chinese place.
- China Star (Fairfax) for Sichuan dishes.
- 88 China (Chantilly) for Hunan dishes

Japanese
- Tachibana (McLean) for sushi
- Ren's Ramen (Wheaton, MD) for Ramen. Closest thing to the real Japanese ramen except that the noodles are imported and not made locally (thus not fresh).
- Hama Sushi (Herndon, VA) for Japanese food made by Japanese people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
Szechuan Star in the Bradlick shopping center

Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Oh, for those who suggested HMart food court, please reconsider. Their stuff is really not that good. Try Great Wall Supermarket's food court instead (they're on Gallows Rd in Fall Church) and it's Chinese supermarket, not Korean. It's more like a take out joint than a food court but they sell freshly made BBQ pork and roast duck by the pound, as well as fix price lunch boxes (about $6 for 3 entrees with soup). The choices for the entrees are definitely more authentically Chinese so you're unlikely to find General Tso's and other American Chinese choices. And they're very inexpensive (seriously, $6 for a lunch box of freshly made meal?).

They also sell limited dim sum stuff like steamed pork bun, chicken porridge, steamed pork and shrimp dumplings, etc. My husband calls it "the poorman's dimsum to go" because they're so cheap

Old 01-16-2015, 12:31 PM

810 posts, read 1,024,927 times
Is there any good Asian restaurants in the Woodbridge area? Since last year I started working in Stafford so while traveling to Annandale for lunch is a nonstarter, going to Woodbridge is probably doable depending on the work load.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:46 PM

100 posts, read 130,732 times
Thai: Crystal Thai off of Arlington Blvd (gotta try the Crab Fried Rice!)
Vietnamese: Viet Royale in Eden Center.
Chinese: XO Taste, Miu Kee, Full Kee
Japanese: Tachibana in McLean, Makoto in Palisades DC (The tasting menu is SO FABULOUS!)
Korean: H-mart grocery store has the best cafeteria Korean joint, serves Al-Jjigae (cavier stew). Ill Mee Buffet in Annandale, Yechon in Annandale. BonChon (Ffx, Annandale, Arlington locations).

You're in the right area for Asian cuisine. Happy eating!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:26 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Let's add Golden Hong Kong to the list - in the same spot as the now-closed Canton Cafe in Springfield.

Pretty decent dim sum, delicious soft shell crab

Old 01-24-2015, 03:29 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
PK, we have tried a couple of your recommendations below. All good experiences. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
To be honest, pho is one of those special items where once you develop a taste for the broth of a particular eatery, it is hard to appreciate it at other places.

For me Pho Viet Flare (Alexandria, Van Dorn/Edsall) does it the best. Pho Sate (Falls Church)comes second in my list of favorites..
We tried the Pho Viet Flare today. I had the P1 - Pho Viet Flare special - large. I would've ordered extra large if it was on the menu. I like the broth. Having been to the Little Saigon and tried some of the best pho in there, i can say this one is good enough for us to keep on the list. I wish they have more meat, tripes, and meatballs but i am willing to pay for extra meat next time.

We also find that shopping plaza charming. There is a Thai restaurant and an Indonesian restaurant in the same plaza. We will go back to try those as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Let's add Golden Hong Kong to the list - in the same spot as the now-closed Canton Cafe in Springfield.

Pretty decent dim sum, delicious soft shell crab
We were there after 1pm during a weekday and there was still many customers, mostly Asians - a good sign that the "locals" patron the place we ordered the standard dim sum dishes from the cart. Did not try the soft shell crab, maybe next time. They are not as busy ad other dim sum places we've tried but it is convenient for us and food is good.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:11 PM

162 posts, read 358,937 times
Anyone ever been to Thai Luang in Herndon? We've always been happy there, although we haven't been in many years. Some friends also think the Thai is great there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia