U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 3,943 times

Advertisements

48 days and counting until I move to Fairfax... I currently live in NYC and bank with Chase and have been happy with them, but was unpleasantly surprised to see that there aren't any in NoVa.

So, I've been trying to check out reviews online for banks and credit unions in the area, but as we all know, the angry people are the ones who tend to write the most reviews.

I'd like a banking institution that doesn't charge a lot of crazy fees or give me the runaround or hold my funds on a whim.

I'd also like to have access to ATMs, especially when travelling back to NYC or Western NY, without having to pay fees if I need to take out extra cash.

Other than that, I don't think I'm too picky, I'm not a big investor, high-roller, etc. I am self-employed, so I have to deposit checks often (if I'm doing my job right )

I had asked some friends if they had experiences with online banks (not online banking, but the actual bank is online, not a physical location) however, nobody had any idea, so I'd be open to that if they're reliable/convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM

69 posts, read 64,460 times
Are you saying you want to ditch Chase? Why? I say that because my wife has Chase from Texas and a debit card and she has never had an issue writing a check in NOVA or DC. Any checks she ever gets, which is very few, she just take a photo on her cell and deposits that way. No real reason to have a local bank unless you want a safety deposit box or do a lot of money orders or cashiers checks.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 PM

No, I didn't want to ditch Chase, just have access to my money. I didn't know that I could keep them and make deposits/withdrawals without fees from using other banks' ATMs.

Will check in with them directly about it, thanks!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM

69 posts, read 64,460 times
Hmmmm...as for deposits, can be done by take a photo and using their app. As for withdraws, just do at the grocery store when you pay for your groceries. Now, if you need a couple of hundred dollars at a time, that would prob make you go to an ATM, in which case, there will be a fee. Check out Capital One though, they are both local and online

Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 PM

10,720 posts, read 19,072,684 times
I use BB&T as a local bank - I've been happy with them

Old 08-06-2014, 03:43 PM

5,724 posts, read 8,609,840 times
I would suggest you sign up for Washington Consumers' Checkbook, a nonprofit service that reviews and ranks all kinds of service providers, from plumbers to banks. Very useful.

We have accounts at Wells and two credit unions. Wells is great for easy access to ATMs in most areas of the country. The online banking is convenient as well. My CU only has only two branches, one of which is in my building; otherwise, there is no way I would use them. My wife's CU is the same--one branch in her building and one other in Arlington. With CUs, what's available to you is often determined by who you work for.

BTW, I believe there's a Chase bank in NW DC, on MacArthur.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 PM

232 posts, read 279,427 times
When I moved here a year ago I had (still do) an acct with Wells. They are here but not as readily available (by me anyway) as back in my previous state. So I opened a CapitalOne 360 online account that gives me free debit card access at all capital one and accesspoint ATM's. (Can't deposit at a branch, it is online only) but it is easy and convenient.

That said though, what you could/should do is call your Chase bank and tell them that you would need to change banks if they don't waive the fees for access at other banks. Worse they can say is "no" - but if you have been with them for a while they may be willing to do that. (Some credit unions do that all the time)

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Thanks all, for your input. I'll definitely be in touch with Chase first and if that doesn't work out, look into Washington Consumers' Checkbook to see what kind of info I can find there.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 PM

256 posts, read 306,757 times
If you want to access your money anywhere around the country then get Bank Of America. I definitely hate them but they are the most accessible bank for me. I also have use Bank of Georgetown. They have amazing customer service.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,553,203 times
Don't go with M&T though. What you're used to in NYC, isn't the case here in DC. Might as well be a different bank in general. Much of it is the remaining remnants of Provident bank they acquired in 2009. They're just here to buy the small guys while they're on the way down for growth. I'd either stay with what you have, or maybe Cap1, seeing as this is really their backyard. Navy FCU is the largest in the country, both in terms of size and outposts. See if they have a "SEG" you could join for like $25 as the avenue for membership - a sideways trick many credit unions do to boost membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia