U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:14 AM

4,826 posts, read 2,876,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Old Guard, I'm not entirely sure if this is the stretch of Columbia Pike you are describing, but there are some plans to redevelop Columbia Pike west of Route 7 that are independent of the now-stalled streetcar project.

Annandale VA: BoS approves motion to expedite Columbia Pike redevelopment project
This is FANTASTIC news. Thank you JEB77!

This is the area I do not like though I do like the German Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 01:06 PM

631 posts, read 521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
This is FANTASTIC news. Thank you JEB77!

This is the area I do not like though I do like the German Market.
A lot of Packers fans down around Sleppy Hollow area.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM

318 posts, read 286,607 times
It's an interesting area with a history. Unfortunately that history is the degradation of the area. Stuart HS received an accreditation status of Accredited with Warning: Warned in Math for the last two years. Stuart HS is one of nine schools in FCPS with an accreditation status of Accredited with Warning for the last two years. A school can only be “Accredited with Warning” for three consecutive years. After that, if a school doesn’t meet SOL benchmarks, accreditation will be denied.

Baily's Elementary is also on warning.

Most of the people who live in the actual lake barcroft area do private school. If you can afford to live in the actual lake barcroft waterfront area and do private school it's a great place to live.

Falls Church High zones aren't that much better either.

Sorry for the voice of reality here but people are really sugar coating their views.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
It's an interesting area with a history. Unfortunately that history is the degradation of the area. Stuart HS received an accreditation status of Accredited with Warning: Warned in Math for the last two years. Stuart HS is one of nine schools in FCPS with an accreditation status of Accredited with Warning for the last two years. A school can only be “Accredited with Warning” for three consecutive years. After that, if a school doesn’t meet SOL benchmarks, accreditation will be denied.

Most of the people who live in the actual lake barcroft area do private school. If you can afford to live in the actual lake barcroft waterfront area and do private school it's a great place to live.

Sorry for the voice of reality here but people are really sugar coating their views.
Thank you for this information. I had some information on the school system but there is a lot I do not know.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:

The "reality" is that areas have their ups and downs, and don't always trend in the same direction. I started posting on C-D years ago because I'd come across posts in which people in Vienna and McLean were consistently negative or, at best, condescending, about the Marshall HS area. I lived there, and they didn't, and I knew the neighborhoods were improving and the schools were fine.

Fast-forward and, ironically, there are quite a few Marshall people (usually, the same crowd that pushes Pimmit Hills) who denigrate the areas that feed into Falls Church and Stuart, although they usually do it on other message boards that are more loosely moderated and where posters are not required to use a unique screen name. However, these areas have an attractive location, and some of them have seen greater appreciation in recent years that the Falls Church/22043 areas that feed into Marshall and McLean. And, even if the appreciation were the same or less, they are still more affordable.

Falls Church HS seems to be on an upswing. It's seen improving SAT scores in recent years, the school has a new principal who has improved morale, and it offers some interesting Academy courses to supplement the regular/AP curriculum. Stuart is more of a question mark, with a new principal who reportedly alienated many long-time teachers, who were experienced at working with the school's large number of low-income, ESOL students. This got enough attention, however, that FCPS recognized it had a problem on its hands, and an award-winning Assistant Principal at TJ was reassigned to Stuart to help. Hopefully, they'll shore up the school, although there are definitely challenges there.

Last edited by JD984; 12-12-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The "reality" is that areas have their ups and downs, and don't always trend in the same direction. I started posting on C-D years ago because I'd come across posts in which people in Vienna and McLean were consistently negative or, at best, condescending, about the Marshall HS area. I lived there, and they didn't, and I knew the neighborhoods were improving and the schools were fine.

Fast-forward and, ironically, there are quite a few Marshall people (usually, the same crowd that pushes Pimmit Hills) who denigrate the areas that feed into Falls Church and Stuart, although they usually do it on other message boards that are more loosely moderated and where posters are not required to use a unique screen name. However, these areas have an attractive location, and some of them have seen greater appreciation in recent years that the Falls Church/22043 areas that feed into Marshall and McLean. And, even if the appreciation were the same or less, they are still more affordable.

Falls Church HS seems to be on an upswing. It's seen improving SAT scores in recent years, the school has a new principal who has improved morale, and it offers some interesting Academy courses to supplement the regular/AP curriculum. Stuart is more of a question mark, with a new principal who reportedly alienated many long-time teachers, who were experienced at working with the school's large number of low-income, ESOL students. This got enough attention, however, that FCPS recognized it had a problem on its hands, and an award-winning Assistant Principal at TJ was reassigned to Stuart to help. Hopefully, they'll shore up the school, although there are definitely challenges there.
Although Falls Church High School had a large jump in SATs, it is still lower by 48 points that in 2008. There is no same crowd that denigrates the areas that feed into Falls Church and Stuart. It is universally known that this is not a desirable area at this time and the school problems (overcrowding) and test scores reflect that. Until there is some redevelopment of the area and an influx of non-esol students / families it is going to be lagging behind. People look at school ratings and incomes to get an idea of how the neighborhoods will be like.

"While the school has made major strides in recent years, Falls Church students are still not performing as well on the SAT as they did in 2008, when the average composite score was 48 points higher. But Lally said the double-digit gains are promising"

Falls Church High sees major gains in SAT scores - The Washington Post

Old 12-12-2014, 12:00 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Although Falls Church High School had a large jump in SATs, it is still lower by 48 points that in 2008. There is no same crowd that denigrates the areas that feed into Falls Church and Stuart. It is universally known that this is not a desirable area at this time and the school problems (overcrowding) and test scores reflect that. Until there is some redevelopment of the area and an influx of non-esol students / families it is going to be lagging behind. People look at school ratings and incomes to get an idea of how the neighborhoods will be like.

"While the school has made major strides in recent years, Falls Church students are still not performing as well on the SAT as they did in 2008, when the average composite score was 48 points higher. But Lally said the double-digit gains are promising"

Falls Church High sees major gains in SAT scores - The Washington Post
Falls Church's scores were higher in 2008, but my recollection is that the percentage of students taking the SAT that year was lower than in other years. It's arguably better to have a higher percentage of students taking the SATs, even if the average scores are lower, if that means the school is getting more students to consider their post-secondary education.

It's also a mistake to focus too much on any one year's scores. The average SAT scores at Marshall in 2008 were higher than at Madison. That has not happened again over the next six years. That doesn't really mean Marshall has slipped relative to Madison, but only that 2008 was an outlier. In Falls Church's case, what is noticeable was that a multi-year trend has been favorable.

I wouldn't suggest that the only people who would shy away from Falls Church and Stuart live or invest in Pimmit Hills, but I am convinced that you and a few others from that area constantly bad-mouth those schools (as well as W-L and Wakefield in Arlington) on multiple message boards. Everything you've posted here is something I've read before more or less verbatim elsewhere. And reading this shortly after you started a thread on C-D touting a new development in Pimmit Hills makes it pretty clear that your agenda is to promote one area and denigrate others. If it were "universally known" that these areas are not desirable, you would not have several posters who have moved into them recently speaking favorably of their experiences.

Last edited by JD984; 12-12-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Falls Church's scores were higher in 2008, but my recollection is that the percentage of students taking the SAT that year was lower than in other years. It's arguably better to have a higher percentage of students taking the SATs, even if the average scores are lower, if that means the school is getting more students to consider their post-secondary education.

It's also a mistake to focus too much on any one year's scores. The average SAT scores at Marshall in 2008 were higher than at Madison. That has not happened again over the next six years. That doesn't really mean Marshall has slipped relative to Madison, but only that 2008 was an outlier. In Falls Church's case, what is noticeable was that a multi-year trend has been favorable.

I wouldn't suggest that the only people who would shy away from Falls Church and Stuart live in Pimmit Hills and are zoned for Marshall, but I am convinced that you and a few others from that area constantly bad-mouth those schools (as well as W-L and Wakefield in Arlington) on multiple message boards. Everything you've posted here is something I've read before more or less verbatim elsewhere. And reading this shortly after you started a thread on C-D touting a new development in Pimmit Hills makes it pretty clear that your agenda is to promote one area and denigrate others. If it were "universally known" that these areas are not desirable, you would not have several posters who have moved into them recently speaking favorably of their experiences.
I originally posted the 22 homes in Pimmit Hills, because it was highly unusual for any builder to teardown that many homes at once to build new ones for sale at the same time.

I don't understand why listing out the facts about scores, neighborhoods etc... is bad mouthing. Go to any get together with friends from McLean, Falls Church City etc... and ask them about the area in question and they will say the same things. Realtors aren't allowed to discuss the specifics and in fact may not say things they are allowed to say in fear of violating fair housing rules.

I don't care to promote or denigrate areas, I do want to lay down the facts about the above area. It was confusing and annoying to have to navigate Falls Church because of the multiple slices that represent it (McLean zones, Timberlane McLean zones, Haycock Zones, Marshall Zones, Stuart, Falls Church High etc...). It would have been very helpful if someone had come to me and laid down the facts of the scores and demographic makeup of each place and how they correlate to price. It would have saved me a lot of wasted time looking at houses in areas that I wouldn't want to send my kids to school there. Example seeing 5 families living in a tiny cape cod in Falls Church near route 50, looking at housing that is zoned for schools overwhelmed by the lower income and mostly Spanish speaking immigrants living in the low rent apartments near 7 corners etc...

Furthermore I had a personal experience with people touting the area and posting wonderful things about lake barcroft etc... I later found out those same people are all sending their kids to private schools and avoiding the same schools they are talking up.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:19 PM

I am not talking up the schools. But I like the area in general. It is interesting to hear both sides about the schools. I was aware that Jeb Stuart was not highly regarded, but I simply do not know enough about the school system to speak of it.

I wonder what the situation is for the influx of people to DC is. Are the public schools there better?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Here is a good article on the over crowding crisis of that area, it's major issue.
Annandale VA: Seven Corners Task Force urged to consider need for new schools

They have so many children that they had to use office buildings to increase capacity
New Bailey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia