U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 12,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I'm jealous, I've never lived close enough for delivery! I have tried about a million pizza places and I think that's the only one inside the beltway that has real authentic NY pizza.

When you make it to Annandale, make sure you try Silverado's. It's just boring American fare but it is very good.

Agree 100% on Valentinos. I'd rank Italian store as a secondary option.

The closest I have come to good pizza is Pete's New Haven in Clarendon, although it isn't really NY style. All of the other pizza places in NoVA and DC have been a bummer. Lost Dog, Fireworks are decent, but not NY or CT style. Everything else has been uninspiring. I will check out Silverados for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM

10 posts, read 12,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpromotion View Post
Maybe you didn't see them because they were actually at work. If more people ran their own small businesses and fewer raised their kids to be mid-level government managers or "IT Guys," whose work could be outsourced to Mumbai for 4 cents on the Dollar; maybe we wouldn't be 18,000,000,000,000 in debt. The other piece of news is you could have bought in there for half price from 2008-2010.....but I guess you were busy being HiSo in your Arlington rental. One of the best locations in the DC area....schools are a reflection of failed immigration policies. Don't tell your MIL, but some folks are still on septic in that area.......
I'm not sure what you mean with folks being septic in that area? Do you mean Barcroft Hills/Lake Barcrft or was that a shot at the 20 somethings in Arlington?

Yes, I am well aware prices in the Barcroft Hills area were down during the recession and have increased substantially, just as the Arlington SFHs as well as the condo I owned on the orange line for the last five years increased in value.

I also know that Stuart HS and some of the feeder schools have problems with overcrowding, in-part due to immigration, but we will address that situation in time and will do our best to improve and contribute to the community in the interim. Hopefully, I will be able to afford private school or a move to another area with better schools if the situation hasn't improved by then.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 991 times
We are a military family returning to the DC area from Japan. We have a place in Kingstowne but would like to live closer in since I will work at the Navy Yard? We thought a fixer-upper in Lake Barcroft would be a good fit, but will have two high school girls and worried about Stuart HS - a 3 on great schools (worse than Hayfield where our current home is). Can't afford private school and seems might be priced out of Arlington too. Thoughts?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM

318 posts, read 286,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciws70 View Post
We are a military family returning to the DC area from Japan. We have a place in Kingstowne but would like to live closer in since I will work at the Navy Yard? We thought a fixer-upper in Lake Barcroft would be a good fit, but will have two high school girls and worried about Stuart HS - a 3 on great schools (worse than Hayfield where our current home is). Can't afford private school and seems might be priced out of Arlington too. Thoughts?
What is you budget and house size needs

Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 PM

601 posts, read 438,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
That was cancelled by Arlington County. Rich people in North Arlington only want public transportation money spent on themselves (apparently i'm in the minority up here).
I am very much a fan of fixed-rail transportation additions to our area, and I'm hoping that they can revive the streetcar plan, and rejigger it to include a dedicated lane. I think the only streetcar I've ridden on that doesn't have a dedicate lane was the Toronto system streetcar. Everywhere other streetcar that I've ridden in the US and in Europe had a dedicated lane.

Before and while it was being built, I thought that the elevated rail of the Silver Line through Tyson's would be hideous, but it actually isn't at all - it was a great solution for adding fixed rail through that area, which was already extensively developed, and did not have an existing rail right-of-way.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,684,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I am very much a fan of fixed-rail transportation additions to our area, and I'm hoping that they can revive the streetcar plan, and rejigger it to include a dedicated lane. I think the only streetcar I've ridden on that doesn't have a dedicate lane was the Toronto system streetcar. Everywhere other streetcar that I've ridden in the US and in Europe had a dedicated lane.

Before and while it was being built, I thought that the elevated rail of the Silver Line through Tyson's would be hideous, but it actually isn't at all - it was a great solution for adding fixed rail through that area, which was already extensively developed, and did not have an existing rail right-of-way.
Rome has a pretty extensive streetcar system on very busy roads.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 PM

9 posts, read 7,432 times
I am closing on a house in Barcroft Hills / Belvedere (22041) in two weeks. This thread was helpful in getting detail - it's scary as a first time buyer.

My view is a little different in that I grew up close by in Lake Barcroft proper and my mom still lives there. It was a fantastic area to grow up. I also attended and graduated from JEB Stuart back in 2003 - went through Sleepy Hollow and Glasgow. Glasgow was way worse than Stuart at that time - by 9th grade the real bad apples are weeded out.

My street has a mix of original / long term owners, large immigrant families and some work vans - but all in all it's pretty tidy and quiet.

I look at this as a 10 year home and Belvedere should work well when my wife and I start a family. For what it's worth she actually grew up in 22042 so this is a great location for close proximity to in laws. And... I still have my family beach tag for lake access . Long term we would like to be on the lake but that will take quite an inheritance...

My one concern is appreciation or really depreciation. We will close just shy of $450K on a fairly original rambler with a large, well done addition. County appraisals have shot up nearly 25% in the past 24 months. Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years. One nice thing is that the HT / Barcroft shopping center is .2 miles from my door - so it's actually walkable. Iv'e been living next to a grocery store in Ballston (a studio....) for the past 6 years and love having a grocery store close by.

Any ways... I guess the message is... everybody buy in and increase my property value

Old 07-31-2015, 07:38 AM

601 posts, read 438,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcnotfcc View Post
One nice thing is that the HT / Barcroft shopping center is .2 miles from my door - so it's actually walkable. Iv'e been living next to a grocery store in Ballston (a studio....) for the past 6 years and love having a grocery store close by.

Any ways... I guess the message is... everybody buy in and increase my property value
Welcome back. Be careful crossing Columbia Pike!! Seriously. I have to cross Lincolnia Road to get to Barcroft Plaza, which may be equally as horrid to cross on foot, but is only 2 lanes.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,937,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcnotfcc View Post
I am closing on a house in Barcroft Hills / Belvedere (22041) in two weeks. This thread was helpful in getting detail - it's scary as a first time buyer.

My view is a little different in that I grew up close by in Lake Barcroft proper and my mom still lives there. It was a fantastic area to grow up. I also attended and graduated from JEB Stuart back in 2003 - went through Sleepy Hollow and Glasgow. Glasgow was way worse than Stuart at that time - by 9th grade the real bad apples are weeded out.

My street has a mix of original / long term owners, large immigrant families and some work vans - but all in all it's pretty tidy and quiet.

I look at this as a 10 year home and Belvedere should work well when my wife and I start a family. For what it's worth she actually grew up in 22042 so this is a great location for close proximity to in laws. And... I still have my family beach tag for lake access . Long term we would like to be on the lake but that will take quite an inheritance...

My one concern is appreciation or really depreciation. We will close just shy of $450K on a fairly original rambler with a large, well done addition. County appraisals have shot up nearly 25% in the past 24 months. Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years. One nice thing is that the HT / Barcroft shopping center is .2 miles from my door - so it's actually walkable. Iv'e been living next to a grocery store in Ballston (a studio....) for the past 6 years and love having a grocery store close by.

Congrats! Love that area. I don't think you'll see depreciation--just the opposite.

Been meaning for a while to put this out on the forum, but if anyone living at Lake Barcroft will give me a guest outing on my kayak, I'll buy them lunch somewhere.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:57 AM

4,821 posts, read 2,873,556 times
If you drive that area is close to several grocery stores, some duplicates. My new favorite is the Good Fortune Supermarket for produce.

EDIT:

Anyone have thoughts on the Ambrose Hills development on Columbia Pike? Looks to be townhouses in the +$600K region. I cannot see that hurting property values for the single family homes in that Barcroft/Sleepy Hollow and Holmes Run areas? I actually hope it helps get something good in Barcroft Plaza.

Last edited by Old Guard; 08-03-2015 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia