U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 13,611 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NoVA shortly, my job is in Vienna VA and I am contemplating where to live.

I am not able to spend a lot of money right now...mainly due to the fact that my student loans are insanely high and I make a huge monthly payment on them.

So, I want to find an apartment that is priced from 11 - 1300.....but obviously I probably won't find that in Merrifield/Vienna/Fairfax.

Any Suggestions on where else to look? I have heard Manassas or Centreville...but I have heard the traffic/commute is terrible...how true is that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and/or if you have lived in a certain apartment complex that you would recommend!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM

946 posts, read 533,352 times
You are going to hear this from others, but why not consider a roommate situation in Vienna for a while? I would stay in temporary housing /hotel for a few days, and check out Craig's list as well. See https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/roo/

Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
I would look into Manassas. That would be more your price range. Commute will suck but everyone's commute around here sucks. Could be much worse. Probably like 45 mins - hour most days.

Like rmm said, roommate would save you a lot of money too.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:18 PM

588 posts, read 1,196,827 times
Where in Vienna? Will your hours be standard hours?

If you are on the Oakton side of Vienna, the commute from Fairfax, Fair Oaks, Reston, or Oak Hill wouldn't be TOO bad if you take secondary or back roads. For example, taking Rt 50 (Lee Jackson Mem Hwy) to Jermantown Rd to 123 wouldn't be too bad. Or West Ox Rd to Oakton Rd to Jermantown Rd to 123 might work, too.

If you are on the Tysons side of Vienna, I bow out so others who know more about that end of Vienna can help more.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM

406 posts, read 505,781 times
the Jermantown to 123 route may be "back roads" but it would make for a bear of a rush hour commute. Traffic is very heavy and you pass at least 5 schools (three on Jermantown) that bog things down depending on your work hours. And that doesn't even mention Route 50.

You could share a 2 BR apartment/condo either at the ones at Jermantown and 123 vicinity in Oakton or up near James Madison HS and be under $1000 per person, no? Or a shared rental of one of the many townhouses in the same area.

I am less familiar with what is available in Vienna proper

Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 PM

588 posts, read 1,196,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgood View Post
the Jermantown to 123 route may be "back roads" but it would make for a bear of a rush hour commute. Traffic is very heavy and you pass at least 5 schools (three on Jermantown) that bog things down depending on your work hours. And that doesn't even mention Route 50.
True, unless the Vienna work location is somewhere like Oakton High School (technically in Vienna) and the hours are not typical rush-hour hours. In "true" Vienna, though, you're absolutely correct!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Where in Vienna? Will your hours be standard hours?

If you are on the Oakton side of Vienna, the commute from Fairfax, Fair Oaks, Reston, or Oak Hill wouldn't be TOO bad if you take secondary or back roads. For example, taking Rt 50 (Lee Jackson Mem Hwy) to Jermantown Rd to 123 wouldn't be too bad. Or West Ox Rd to Oakton Rd to Jermantown Rd to 123 might work, too.

If you are on the Tysons side of Vienna, I bow out so others who know more about that end of Vienna can help more.

Standard work hours will be around 0730 to 0330/0400.

The office is actually located right in the Merrifield area...so I suppose that is right around the corner from Tysons.

I did look at a lot of complexes in Fairfax such as the Camdens....everything is above 1450.

I am not opposed to studios...I truly hate roommates I have had horrible experiences.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 PM

104 posts, read 124,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAnoobster View Post
I am moving to NoVA shortly, my job is in Vienna VA and I am contemplating where to live.

So, I want to find an apartment that is priced from 11 - 1300.....but obviously I probably won't find that in Merrifield/Vienna/Fairfax.

Thanks!
I would assume from your comment about student loans that you are young. If so, you might find the eastern part of Fairfax County (Vienna, Falls Church) and all of Arlington County will be most appealing. Is your job actually in Vienna? Or is it Tyson's Corner, which comprises Vienna and McLean? Tyson's has Metro access, which opens up possibilities all over the place, even the District, Del Ray, Reston, etc. Now is not the time to take on a horrible car commute on Route 66 in he name of cheap rent!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 PM

Also...anyone know how it is like to live in Herndon? Probably just as bad as Manassas traffic wise?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 PM

104 posts, read 124,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAnoobster View Post
Standard work hours will be around 0730 to 0330/0400.

The office is actually located right in the Merrifield area...so I suppose that is right around the corner from Tysons.

I did look at a lot of complexes in Fairfax such as the Camdens....everything is above 1450.

I am not opposed to studios...I truly hate roommates I have had horrible experiences.
Walkable from Dunn Loring Metro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or