U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 AM

5,735 posts, read 8,926,465 times

Advertisements

For those who are interested, the IRS form 990 for Animal Welfare League of Arlington shows that in 2012, it received $1.4 million from the County and spent almost that same amount on salaries and wages--see PDF below, page 10, lines 5 and 7--but spent only $161,000 on animal care: http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...09d5ec32-9.pdf This is out of a total budget of $5 million.

Yeah, I'm really hurting my fellow man.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-24-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 11:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,424,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Yes, I do: it's spent on funding for AWLA, as I stated before. And AWLA is not enforcing the laws. The fact that AWLA uses the money on something is not relevant; it isn't using the money for what it was intended for. In fact, AWLA seems to have a real problem with bang for buck; its president/CEO as of 2012 earned $158,000 in total compensation that year, but AWLA adopts out fewer animals per dollar of said compensation than do comparable organizations in other cities.
I stand corrected. Obviously, you know where each and every dollar collected in dog license fees is spent in Arlington.

Quote:
And those people are free to refuse to pay as well.
Well, yes, I suppose we are all free to pick which laws we will follow and which fees or taxes we pay.

Quote:
The word is "dissatisfaction," and your prediction is not accurate. The fee has been the same for years, and many people either don't know it's required (because they take their dog to an out-of-County vet) or refuse to pay it. In addition, Arlington every year has a cash surplus; last year it was $200 million.
Thanks for correcting my grammar, and my sincerest apologies. I'll re-phrase - DISSATISFACTION with the services provided by your county is understandable.

And, yes, I suppose if a county has had surpluses for many years, they are probably never going to raise any of their fees or taxes even if a large percentage of people stop paying particular fees. I mean, they have a surplus and they haven't raised the dog license fees for many years, so they probably never will. Obviously, I'm wrong.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not to get caught up in the fight, but there is a valid reason (in my opinion) not to license your dog. Counties require certain vaccinations to receive your license. A good friend of mine has a dog who had a severe reaction to some vaccines and has been told by multiple vets that additional vaccines might kill the dog. That being said, she spends an exorbitant amount of money titering her dog to make sure his antibody levels are sufficient to protect him from each disease. Her county does not recognize this, but requires the vaccinations. So, instead of putting her dog at risk, she chooses not to license her dog. Although all of my dogs are licensed at all times (even paying the 3x fee for un-fixed dogs), I fully support her decision.
That certainly seems like a very legitimate reason not to license your dog and one I can very much understand having once had a puppy die from an allergic vaccine reaction. And, I suppose with that, I need to retract my earlier statement that ignorance or laziness is the cause of someone not licensing their dog. I suppose I should know better than to make such extreme statements. There are almost always unique exceptions that one doesn't anticipate.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM

52 posts, read 71,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I hate to say it - I'm not usually this combative on here - but I think your perspective is a perfect example of ignorance. You're ignorant of the services provided by local municipalities for animals and you're ignorant of the fact that it is very common practice in the United States for local municipalities to require the licensing of dogs.
I believe you recognized your own behavior. Ever heard of the phrase "A hit dog will holler"? It's very fitting for this topic, but in this instance the dog didn't even have to be hit.

Somehow airjay has turned in to cheerleader for Arlington County, yet doesn't live here or possess knowledge of how the tax is applied to County services. I would suggest removing your bias and apparent disdain for those that have a comment or opinion opposite yours. You quickly jumped to using a combative word "ignorant" yet you come with no facts, just your opinion.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRuthie View Post
I believe you recognized your own behavior. Ever heard of the phrase "A hit dog will holler"? It's very fitting for this topic, but in this instance the dog didn't even have to be hit.

Somehow airjay has turned in to cheerleader for Arlington County, yet doesn't live here or possess knowledge of how the tax is applied to County services. I would suggest removing your bias and apparent disdain for those that have a comment or opinion opposite yours. You quickly jumped to using a combative word "ignorant" yet you come with no facts, just your opinion.
I'm not cheerleading for Arlington County. I'm advocating for following the law no matter where you live. And, I still think the perspective you expressed earlier (as well as the perspective being expressed by Carlingtonian) is ignorant. I don't see anything inherently combative about the word "ignorant" (Ignorant | Define Ignorant at Dictionary.com), although I will admit my tone and the way I have expressed my views has been somewhat combative.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,545,108 times
Pretty sure when you get the rabies vaccination done, the vet sends the info to the county. At least, mine sent it to fairfax. I didn't even realize that my dog's license was expired until I got the bill from FFX in the mail saying they got information from the vet.

So yes, I pay my $10...though sometimes a little late, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or