U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,900,164 times

Advertisements

Just for future reference....if it's not an Interstate Highway....marked by the familiar red, white and blue shield, the highest speed limit you will see around here is 55 mph. Usually less.

It's usually pretty easy to tell if one is driving on an Interstate Highway or not. Traffic lights are a dead giveaway that it's NOT an Interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,435,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnelys View Post
Do you think a lawyer will be able to get it reduced to an improper driving or lesser infraction?
Possibly. I would at least talk with an attorney and see what they say. Ask them specifically if they have ever had successful results in Fairfax County with a similar type of speeding violation. I'm sure there are judges that, at a certain speed, won't give anyone a break, but an experienced lawyer is going to be able to give you much better advice than anyone on this forum.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:32 AM

6,589 posts, read 10,902,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
You can go to court and plead no contest and give your explanation and hope the judge reduces it to improper driving or speeding or something less than reckless. They often do that.

Not in Fairfax Co. OP. Hire an attorney or you will have a Reckless Driving conviction on your record.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:06 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,065,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Explanation being what? "I'm from Texas"?? Not likely to result in a lesser fine.

Or the other explanation- "Unfamiliar road"?? Anyone with any common sense would go slower than normal on an unfamiliar road. No one should drive close to double what the speed limit is.
No, just what you said. That you have no excuse, you just didn't realize how fast you were going or what the speed limit was. That's what most people say - that they don't have any excuse, and they know they shouldn't have been speeding, but basically it was a mistake. It's an explanation - not an excuse.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,065,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not in Fairfax Co. OP. Hire an attorney or you will have a Reckless Driving conviction on your record.
Yes, you can in Fairfax. Most people get an attorney, but you don't have to. We hired an attorney and sat there and watched everyone else without an attorney get their charge dropped to improper or speeding. Ours was reduced too, but the judge was more reluctant than with anyone else. I'm not convinced the attorney helped much.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,704,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post
If it's any consolation (not that I'm saying it's acceptable) I see people flying by on that stretch of road all the time. I think the person above me is correct; it's elevated so it feels like a freeway. There are speed limit signs there but they could be a little more prominent given the number of highways around that area.
I can kind of understand where you're coming from.

I guarantee you that this stretch of road in California would be at least 50 speed limit and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same in Texas. Western states definitely have much higher speed limits than the East Coast, even in residential areas with schools around.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 AM

22 posts, read 17,596 times
Quote:
Yes, you can in Fairfax. Most people get an attorney, but you don't have to. We hired an attorney and sat there and watched everyone else without an attorney get their charge dropped to improper or speeding. Ours was reduced too, but the judge was more reluctant than with anyone else. I'm not convinced the attorney helped much.
Do you think the chances are likely that I will be able to get my charges dropped to improper driving or speeding, seeing as I was told I was traveling 69 in a 40 mph zone? What were your charges? (If you don't mind me asking) Just want to get an idea as to what I'm up against...

Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 AM

359 posts, read 376,798 times
Get an attorney. FFX County has you over a barrel.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM

6,589 posts, read 10,902,580 times
Quote:
You attended court one day and draw this conclusion? Understand why but you saw one judge. Was it a substitute judge or one of the many regulars they have assigned to hear traffic? I am very familiar with FX Co courts and this is not the norm. I would feel comfortable going in and trying without an attorney with my background but the vast majority of people do not handle this part well.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,435,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I can kind of understand where you're coming from.

I guarantee you that this stretch of road in California would be at least 50 speed limit and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same in Texas. Western states definitely have much higher speed limits than the East Coast, even in residential areas with schools around.
I agree, and the biggest difference is that in California (and I presume Texas), you would just get a typical speeding ticket that wouldn't result in a class 1 misdemeanor reckless driving conviction. In fact, when I lived in California, once every 18 months, if you attended driving school in connection with any moving violation, you would avoid any points being out on your license - just the fine. I actually think that was a little too lenient - almost the equivalent of giving people a speeding pass as long as they only get caught once every 18 months.

I think OP should have received a ticket for his speed, and I think the fine should be hefty. But, I do think Virginia's imposition of a reckless driving conviction on top of it is overkill. Of course, that's not where things stand in Virginia, and there's little point wishing it were different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or