U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,992,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Explanation being what? "I'm from Texas"?? Not likely to result in a lesser fine.
But you know how Texas is...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,117,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I guarantee you that this stretch of road in California would be at least 50 speed limit and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same in Texas. Western states definitely have much higher speed limits than the East Coast, even in residential areas with schools around.
The elevated stretch is pretty short and ends in a school zone (going east) or a confluence of ramps and intersections (going west). There's nothing unsafe about going fast on the elevated portion, but the limit is low because you quickly go back into an area where you need to slow down.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM

128 posts, read 127,064 times
I never understood why VA was so strict on reckless driving. 20 over on a large multi-lane highway is one thing, but on a two-lane neighborhood road is another entirely. Why not as a percentage, or tiered with different thresholds for roads and highways. Maybe it would be too much math, I don't know... This law in its current form is probably doing less for public safety and more to make defense lawyers rich. Anyway, back to topic.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 AM

359 posts, read 376,563 times
Actually I am pretty sure that is the point of the law... to keep money flowing to the state, counties, and lawyers (who I am sure lobby the state legislature).

If I were governor my first act would be to get rid of that hogwash.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM

6,585 posts, read 10,894,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
Actually I am pretty sure that is the point of the law... to keep money flowing to the state, counties, and lawyers (who I am sure lobby the state legislature).

If I were governor my first act would be to get rid of that hogwash.
The govenor can't come in and wipe out a law. I did recently speak to a VA state senator who is a friend of mine. Although I am retired LE I do not like the state's law on RD. At least the part regarding speeding. He is a republican and although he doesn't like the law either he believes his "tough on crime" stance would make it hard for him to make any changes. He said he was willing to look at it once I emailed him so I did. We'll see.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM

359 posts, read 376,563 times
"If I were king", excuse me.

The whole thing is asinine. There is no rational reason for driving 20 miles over the speedlimit on an empty highway to carry the same penalties as drunk driving.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,702,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The elevated stretch is pretty short and ends in a school zone (going east) or a confluence of ramps and intersections (going west). There's nothing unsafe about going fast on the elevated portion, but the limit is low because you quickly go back into an area where you need to slow down.
I understand that. I like like a mile and a half off of Franconia Road.

Roads out west just flat out have higher speed limits. LA highways have like 65MPH speed limits in very dense areas for example and many residential streets have speed limits of like 40mph.

For someone from Texas this could be quite surprising. I was quite shocked to see the speed limits in California.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,699,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnelys View Post
Today, I was pulled over on 644 (Franconia Rd) near Springfield Mall. I was cited for Reckless Driving ticket going 69 in a 40mph area. I am new to the area from Texas and was on an unfamiliar road. I am very nervous, as I didn't even realize what the speed limit was in the area. My court date is October 21, 2014. What are the chances that I can get the ticket either expunged or reduced? I plan to take the driving course and having my driving record on hand prior to court. If I can get any help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Frankly, you're lucky you weren't thrown in jail. Pay the ticket and be glad you didn't kill somebody.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,434,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Frankly, you're lucky you weren't thrown in jail. Pay the ticket and be glad you didn't kill somebody.
You really think so? Are you familiar with that stretch of Franconia Rd? It is not all that different from the nearby Franconia-Springfield Parkway which has a speed limit of 50 mph and where I routinely see motorists traveling at 65-70 mph (which I certainly think is too fast, but I sure don't see many people getting tickets in that area). Like I said earlier, I definitely think OP deserves a stiff fine and a speeding ticket, but jail time? I just don't agree. Not at this particular location.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:58 PM

529 posts, read 546,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnelys View Post
Do you think a lawyer will be able to get it reduced to an improper driving or lesser infraction?
Yes, Lawyer would be able to do this especially if this is your first reckless driving ticket.

Before your court date, complete the driving class, get the certificate, get your driving records (should show lesser point due to the driving lessons).

You won't even have to stand in front of judge, just be in the room with hundreds of people.

But remember, lawyers charge around $800 - $1000 for this service, plus your ticket and court fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or