U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 PM

22 posts, read 17,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
But you know how Texas is...

Yeah...much different than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,861,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
"If I were king", excuse me.

The whole thing is asinine. There is no rational reason for driving 20 miles over the speedlimit on an empty highway to carry the same penalties as drunk driving.

The penalties for drunk driving FAR exceed those for reckless driving.

A friend of mine's son just did ten days in jail for a first offense, no accident DUI. And the ten days was mandatory, so no "good behavior" time off...he did the entire ten days. Now he has to get his car fitted with an ignition interlock device in order to get a restricted license so he can drive to his year's worth of alcohol treatment, ASAP meetings, etc. A conservative estimate of the total expenses for the DUI will approach $10,000.

Sorry, but I'd take a reckless ANYDAY....

Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM

33 posts, read 46,844 times
Yup, things are way different in Texas.
TX officer allegedly lets 140-mph street racer go with a warning [w/poll] - Autoblog

Old 08-26-2014, 03:25 PM

128 posts, read 126,701 times
I think a better way of putting it is that going 20 over should not result as a dinged criminal record. Driving record, absolutley, but unless someone decides to fly carelessly through a neighborhood or drag race on the highway it should not be on a criminal record.

(Reminds me of how in the world drunks who run out onto football fields with no pants can be considered "sex offenders". Makes just about as much sense as that.)

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 AM

359 posts, read 374,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The penalties for drunk driving FAR exceed those for reckless driving.

A friend of mine's son just did ten days in jail for a first offense, no accident DUI. And the ten days was mandatory, so no "good behavior" time off...he did the entire ten days. Now he has to get his car fitted with an ignition interlock device in order to get a restricted license so he can drive to his year's worth of alcohol treatment, ASAP meetings, etc. A conservative estimate of the total expenses for the DUI will approach $10,000.

Sorry, but I'd take a reckless ANYDAY....
Maybe they are prosecuted differently, but by the letter of the law the same penalties apply for either offense.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,608,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
You really think so? Are you familiar with that stretch of Franconia Rd? It is not all that different from the nearby Franconia-Springfield Parkway which has a speed limit of 50 mph and where I routinely see motorists traveling at 65-70 mph (which I certainly think is too fast, but I sure don't see many people getting tickets in that area). Like I said earlier, I definitely think OP deserves a stiff fine and a speeding ticket, but jail time? I just don't agree. Not at this particular location.
I'm just saying that according to the law, 30mph over the speed limit is grounds for arrest.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM

22 posts, read 17,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm just saying that according to the law, 30mph over the speed limit is grounds for arrest.
According to the officer, I was going 29 miles over...he caught me as I was accelerating up the hill.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
No it's not. At least not in VA.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Here's why this is not true.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...00+cod+19.2-74

Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 PM

313 posts, read 459,092 times
and although he doesn't like the law either he believes his "tough on crime" stance would make it hard for him to make any changes

One day, in my uptopia...people will be able to analyze a candidate on a multitude of issues and the masses will understand that generalizations like these are pure unadulterated horse****. Unfortunately, the populace eats this up and the drooling single issue voters come out in force.

"I voted for _____ because he told me he's tough on crime"

"What does that mean?"

"I uh...uh...you um...go Redskins".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or