Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Frankly, you're lucky you weren't thrown in jail. Pay the ticket and be glad you didn't kill somebody.
A wee bit dramatic, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM

22 posts, read 20,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
A wee bit dramatic, don't you think?
Would it be possible to have my charge reduced to speeding (10-19Mph) or improper driving?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnelys View Post
Would it be possible to have my charge reduced to speeding (10-19Mph) or improper driving?
Of course it is possible - anything is possible, but you really need to consult an attorney. Bigfoot is as close as we have on this forum to having a resident reckless driving expert - listen to his advice about Fairfax County courts. What good is it going to do you if you get a response from someone on this forum telling you they just got a similar ticket reduced? It's still just an anonymous person on an online forum, and the specific facts of their situation may still be different. Unless you're ok living the rest of your life with a criminal record that includes a class 1 misdemeanor, consult an experienced attorney. If I were you, I'd be soliciting recommendations for attorneys on this forum with experience in Fairfax County, not asking about the possibility of having it reduced.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
If you have a clean record, I'm pretty sure it's very possible. Especially if you're willing to take a defensive driving course or whatever.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Of course it is possible - anything is possible, but you really need to consult an attorney. Bigfoot is as close as we have on this forum to having a resident reckless driving expert - listen to his advice about Fairfax County courts. What good is it going to do you if you get a response from someone on this forum telling you they just got a similar ticket reduced? It's still just an anonymous person on an online forum, and the specific facts of their situation may still be different. Unless you're ok living the rest of your life with a criminal record that includes a class 1 misdemeanor, consult an experienced attorney. If I were you, I'd be soliciting recommendations for attorneys on this forum with experience in Fairfax County, not asking about the possibility of having it reduced.
What is a reasonable price for a lawyer in a case like this? Any thoughts?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM

274 posts, read 704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnelys View Post
What is a reasonable price for a lawyer in a case like this? Any thoughts?
airjay75, great comment. But I'm not sure if OP is getting the message.

OP, you may be expecting too much from this forum. After 1000+ views, you didn't get the answer the way you want it. I would stop asking here and go out to the real world. Make phone calls to experts with a phone book or whatever. And it would be great if you share your experience here afterwards. Otherwise, you will keep hearing people say like "you are very lucky not to be thrown to a jail"

Getting ticketed for 69/40 is one thing. I may give you the benefit of doubt--maybe it was an innocent mistake. But if you start annoying people, less people will give you the benefit of doubt. Know the limit of internet hearsay. Go above it to see real stories. Hope you reach there soon.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 AM

116 posts, read 212,588 times
I think that you really do need to talk to an attorney. Patrick George from Jalopnik had to spend three days in jail for a reckless driving charge. He was going 93 in a 55 in a rural area.

I don't think that Fairfax will throw you in jail, but they really don't mess around with speeding in Fairfax.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Reckless Driving -- Please Help!

I was cited for traveling 69 in a 40 mph zone in FFX. I have a prior speeding ticket in June 2013. I am writing to get any advise possible. How should I proceed? The officer said I have -6 points on my license and I should consider taking the DI course, before handing me my ticket.

1. Should I take the driver's improvement?
2. Should I get a lawyer?
3. Is it possible to get a lower infraction if I plead guilty?
3. Should I get my car speedometer checked?

PLEASE HELP. I don't need any lectures...

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
airjay75, great comment. But I'm not sure if OP is getting the message.

OP, you may be expecting too much from this forum. After 1000+ views, you didn't get the answer the way you want it. I would stop asking here and go out to the real world. Make phone calls to experts with a phone book or whatever. And it would be great if you share your experience here afterwards. Otherwise, you will keep hearing people say like "you are very lucky not to be thrown to a jail"

Getting ticketed for 69/40 is one thing. I may give you the benefit of doubt--maybe it was an innocent mistake. But if you start annoying people, less people will give you the benefit of doubt. Know the limit of internet hearsay. Go above it to see real stories. Hope you reach there soon.
I understand, airjay. Thanks!

Last edited by ecnelys; 08-28-2014 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: mistake with name.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:02 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
What's really ridiculous is the "anything over 80" clause for RD. I mean, I-85 is 70 mph for many parts - how is doing 10 over on a wide open, often empty highway "reckless" ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia