Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,081 times

Advertisements

I am amazed to see the number of out of state license plates in my community (Alexandria). The only reason for an exemption from Virginia vehicle licensing is active duty military, yet where I live, I see many non-military people with out of state plates from nearby jurisdictions, and I have heard people at work boasting about registering cars in another state to avoid the VA property taxes. I propose that VA create an exemption sticker for the military (free), and the scofflaws should be tracked down, fined (depending on the length of time in violation), and be made to pay VA property taxes. This tax avoidance is really a form of stealing, since it forces the compliant to subsidize the non-compliant.

I have often said to my husband -" I could make a fortune from just a small percentage of the returns for rounding up the scofflaws, at least for a while." Communities could achieve a significant ROI by hiring compliance people, but a high priority is not placed on this matter. Case in point: Alexandria was planning to add a compliance staff position, but I am not sure that it made the final cut in the budget, which was revised to retain the hefty raises for City Staff (another pet peeve).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
People get caught eventually. Alexandria threatened one of my former employers when they found out they were registering vehicles in Maryland to avoid the taxes.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
If they are residents of Fairfax County, you can report them here:

Tax Evaders - - Fairfax County, Virginia

Other counties/cities may have a similar way to report them on their websites.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 PM

11 posts, read 17,059 times
I did not know it was a law until a few months after moving to Arlington when I received a letter in the mail stating I had 30 days to change plates or be fined. I do have friends that have lived here for a few years from other states and have never gotten such a letter, so I'm not sure how it exactly works.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Are there really that many people that don't do basic research before moving to a new state, or are they lying, trying to get away with avoiding it? When I first came to Virginia 17 years ago, the info was easy to find on their website. It's probably easier now than it was back then. I'm finding it difficult to be sympathetic to those who claim they didn't know. OMMV.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:13 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Are there really that many people that don't do basic research before moving to a new state, or are they lying, trying to get away with avoiding it? When I first came to Virginia 17 years ago, the info was easy to find on their website. It's probably easier now than it was back then. I'm finding it difficult to be sympathetic to those who claim they didn't know. OMMV.
I moved to Virginia in 1998. At the time, I actually did not have internet access, so I didn't even think of looking at someone's website. That being said, I knew I needed to change my registration, just like I knew I needed to change my license. This is standard in every single state.

What I didn't know is that I needed to buy a "county sticker" for the property taxes. While I realize this isn't through the DMV, it wouldn't be a bad thing for them to mention it or have a sign posted. They may now, but not in 1998.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:43 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I can relate to the OP. I teach for FCPS and we have a few single teachers with out of state plates. I doubt their cars are registered. It bugs me a tiny bit.

Around '94 or so we knew we had to register the car with the county, but it was a hassle trying to register a car that didn't belong to us. I just remember getting fed up trying to do the right thing.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,081 times
You all bring up some valid points (ignorance of the requirements) for some of the out of state plates. I was clueless myself when I first moved here about the city sticker thing....What I am talking about is the deliberate circumventing of the requirements.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:49 PM

158 posts, read 247,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I am amazed to see the number of out of state license plates in my community (Alexandria). The only reason for an exemption from Virginia vehicle licensing is active duty military, yet where I live, I see many non-military people with out of state plates from nearby jurisdictions, and I have heard people at work boasting about registering cars in another state to avoid the VA property taxes. I propose that VA create an exemption sticker for the military (free), and the scofflaws should be tracked down, fined (depending on the length of time in violation), and be made to pay VA property taxes. This tax avoidance is really a form of stealing, since it forces the compliant to subsidize the non-compliant.

I have often said to my husband -" I could make a fortune from just a small percentage of the returns for rounding up the scofflaws, at least for a while." Communities could achieve a significant ROI by hiring compliance people, but a high priority is not placed on this matter. Case in point: Alexandria was planning to add a compliance staff position, but I am not sure that it made the final cut in the budget, which was revised to retain the hefty raises for City Staff (another pet peeve).
I agree, I lived in an upscale condo complex in Alexandria that is garaged (AKA, the police cannot get inside), and it seems that 25% are snowbirds that take advantage of their residency in FL or whatever other third world hellhole they have a condo in. However, I hate them slightly less than I hate all of the diplomat tags..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 PM

128 posts, read 158,472 times
I see those tags in my area all the time. CA and UT are the biggest offenders. Then again, they are in apartments which are often the choice for those not completely settled down. But still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia