U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,546 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to the forum and had a quick question/seeking advice. I recently moved from a rental house in the Northern Neck to northern Va. On the day of the move the moving company scratched the hardwood floor in the house I was leaving. I immediately notified the owner and approximately 30 days later I received an estimate of $1748.00 to repair the floor. I told them in a return email that I was going to try and recoup the money from
the moving company which has since failed.

My issue with the rental management agency is that they only sent me one estimate and did not allow me the opportunity to seek other estimates. Also, they did not send me the itemized list indicating all of the deductions they were to make as a result with my security deposit. Approximately 54 days after I moved out, they sent me a check for $600 for the remaining security deposit.

I then inquired with the company that provided the estimate and they told me they never did the work. I then called the management company and asked someone if the estimate amount was what it actually cost to repair the floor. The lady said yes and that was what they were charging me.

A few days later I asked for the receipt of the work done and the management company then told me that the owners were going to hold off on the repair until the new tenant moves out.

To me this seems like borderline fraud. The problem I now face is that I seriously doubt they will allow me access to get at least three estimates. There was damage to the floor but I spoke with a flooring company over the phone that said they would not charge any more than $500 to sand and stain the floor. I actually took photographs of the damage before I left and emailed them.

I was thinking about filing a small claims case against them.

Any suggestions or advice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,659,084 times
This thread should be moved to the renting sub-forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 09-01-2014, 11:53 AM

5,084 posts, read 5,361,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3502 View Post
Hi,

I am new to the forum and had a quick question/seeking advice. I recently moved from a rental house in the Northern Neck to northern Va. On the day of the move the moving company scratched the hardwood floor in the house I was leaving. I immediately notified the owner and approximately 30 days later I received an estimate of $1748.00 to repair the floor. I told them in a return email that I was going to try and recoup the money from
the moving company which has since failed.

My issue with the rental management agency is that they only sent me one estimate and did not allow me the opportunity to seek other estimates. Also, they did not send me the itemized list indicating all of the deductions they were to make as a result with my security deposit. Approximately 54 days after I moved out, they sent me a check for $600 for the remaining security deposit.

I then inquired with the company that provided the estimate and they told me they never did the work. I then called the management company and asked someone if the estimate amount was what it actually cost to repair the floor. The lady said yes and that was what they were charging me.

A few days later I asked for the receipt of the work done and the management company then told me that the owners were going to hold off on the repair until the new tenant moves out.

To me this seems like borderline fraud. The problem I now face is that I seriously doubt they will allow me access to get at least three estimates. There was damage to the floor but I spoke with a flooring company over the phone that said they would not charge any more than $500 to sand and stain the floor. I actually took photographs of the damage before I left and emailed them.

I was thinking about filing a small claims case against them.

Any suggestions or advice.

Thanks
It is my understanding that they are to send a receipt of the work done along with the remainder of your deposit within 30 days of move out.

The fact that they charged you for work that was not done is wrong. I would definitely take them to small claims court. Do you have it in writing (email) what the property management company told you?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,546 times
I have the phone conversation recorded when she told me they were waiting for the new tenants to move out before fixing the floors.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 AM

5,084 posts, read 5,361,205 times
OP, was this the type of lease they used?

http://varealtor.com/sites/default/f...-%208-5-11.pdf

According to this lease (section 3a), they have 45 days to submit a list of itemized deductions and the remainder of your deposit. However, they can get a 15 day extension in sending the list and remaining amount if estimates from a 3rd party contractor are required. It appears that they complied with this portion of the law.

So I don't think you can demand your full security deposit because of the time restriction but perhaps you can because they are charging you for repairs that weren't completed.

Perhaps you should ask this question in the renting forum. Or seek legal aid: VaLegalAid.org - A guide to free and low cost civil legal information and services in Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or